Why do people think Areo Hotah will die ?

Gneisenau

I noticed in the question and answers thread, alot of people listed Areo Hotah as a POV that will die by ADoS, but I am of the opinion that Areo Hotah will just remain in the warm Dorne doing nothing really.

I don't want Hotah to die, but I think the Sand Snakes are going to betray Doran and do their own thing. Hotah will kill Darkstar, but will injured. Obara will try and kill Ser Balon Swann, but only wound him. Hotah will not see this as he's engaged in combat with Darkstar and will engage Swann afterwards. Hotah will kill him too, but this be mortally wounded. Obara will reveal the Sand Snakes true plan to Hotah, and than end his suffering.

I think that would largely depend on if the Martell's choose the winning side.

They will choose Aegon's side, so you can count them out of the winning side. Hotah may die, but I don't think it will be Darkstar. A dragon may be better.

Well we haven't had a POV retire yet, and he does have some herd thinning to do:

SSM

He was asked about viewpoint characters, of which there are many. He said that even for minor viewpoint characters he gives them a few chapters so that he is telling a story about that character and not just using them for point of view.

GRRM warned that we should expect a sizable body count soon, as he's been introducing characters without killing any of them off.

I don't really have an opinion either way, but it's probable Doran will not survive for long and, at that point, I don't believe Hotah's PoV will remain. We won't need it any more, since he is the window to Doran. That doesn't necessarily mean he must die, but it's definitely a possibility.

GRRM has said that he means to pare down the number of POVs, and killing them off is more his style than simply not giving them any more chapters. Hotah is one of the dullest POV characters in the books - a loyal guardsman with an axe and some history with some organization in Norvos that isn't in any way connected to the story, and that's all he is. He has about as much personality as a cardboard box. If POV characters are getting chopped in TWOW, he's one of the most obvious candidates.

IMO "The Captain of the Guards" would have been better if it had been told from Doran's POV. "The Prince of Dorne" could have dropped hints about his plots during his thoughts without telling us outright, just as Ned does about R+L=J and Jaime does about Tysha not being a whore.

IMO "The Captain of the Guards" would have been better if it had been told from Doran's POV. "The Prince of Dorne" could have dropped hints about his plots during his thoughts without telling us outright, just as Ned does about R+L=J and Jaime does about Tysha not being a whore.

Not comparable. Jon's parentage and Tysha have happened years ago and are hardly important in the current scheme of things. It's something that occasionally occurs to them, but nothing more. Doran's plans will be foremost on his mind. There is no way he can spend a couple of chapters not focusing on them.

IMO Doran is working with Darkstar. Hotah will set Swann to be kill heroically by Darkstar, aka kill Swann. When Hotah thinks about fighting oakheart, then oakheard dies, Hotah thinks about killing Swann, Swann will die.

Doran would only be a better point of view if you only want POV of Watergardens and Sunspear. Hotah will see Starfell and march with the troops when they declare for fAegon

IMO Doran is working with Darkstar. Hotah will set Swann to be kill heroically by Darkstar, aka kill Swann. When Hotah thinks about fighting oakheart, then oakheard dies, Hotah thinks about killing Swann, Swann will die.

Doran would only be a better point of view if you only want POV of Watergardens and Sunspear. Hotah will see Starfell and march with the troops when they declare for fAegon

:thumbsup:

Archived