Who is Azor Ahai?

Personally I've convinced myself that Jon is AA. This quote from ADWD is a major reason why

Melisandre: "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai & R'hllor shows me only snow"

There are more reasons of course, but since I read this the first time around, in my head it cant be anybody else.

Daenerys is of course another obvious choice, as she was born amidst smoke and salt.

Aegon was named by Rhaegar as the Prince that was promised.

But Westeros is full of Princes and would be princes or princess's at the minute, Bran, Rickon, Sansa, Arya, Asha, Theon, Mrycella, Mance & Dalla's son jump to mind. Could AA be one of these instead or somebody else?

I've always assumed that it was Dany, until reading DWD and the quote you have above, and it struck me that it could be Jon. But I find lately that I really don't know or care at this point. I think the 3 heads of the dragon together are more important overall than the 1 Ptwp.

Which, btw, my 3 heads are Jon, Dany, and Tyron. All of whom (if you believe R+L=J) had mothers die during their birth.

For arguments sake tho, if we say it is Dany, or Jon, or Bran, or whoever, how is Stannis going to handle the news that he is neither the ptwp or the rightful heir to the throne?

I know he's all about honor, and he says he only wants the throne bc its his 'duty', but after warring and scheming to get the throne for all this time, is he really going to step aside to allow whichever Targ makes a claim to just take the throne bc their claim is stronger? I have a hard time believing that.

I guess he could say that he's still Robert's heir, regardless of the Targ Claim.

Admittedly I thought Davos being mentioned as a candidate for Azor Ahai was dumb, but I think he is the most viable candidate outside the "favorites."

Davos because he was "reborn" among the salt and fire of the battle on the blackwater? Wild Fire and Sea Salt? Possible, but that is only 1 part of the prophecy. If you can make it for the rest, maybe.

I'd love it if it was Stannis. Nobody really thinks he is so it would actually be pretty surprising to have the original candidate be it.

Having said that I don't think anyone IS AAR, I believe someone will, by chance, do everything that is required to be AAR and will be instrumental in beating the Others.

Personally, I think it's going to be Jon, crackpot chances for me are Jaime, Brienne or Davos.

The 'shocking' thing about Davos is that he died at Blackwater(he went unconscious in the bay, people die in this situation) but the Drowned God spit him onto his rocky island, like Jinglebells. The only problem is it doesn't involve R'hollor.

Personally I've convinced myself that Jon is AA. This quote from ADWD is a major reason why

Melisandre: "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai & R'hllor shows me only snow"

There are more reasons of course, but since I read this the first time around, in my head it cant be anybody else.

Daenerys is of course another obvious choice, as she was born amidst smoke and salt.

Aegon was named by Rhaegar as the Prince that was promised.

But Westeros is full of Princes and would be princes or princess's at the minute, Bran, Rickon, Sansa, Arya, Asha, Theon, Mrycella, Mance & Dalla's son jump to mind. Could AA be one of these instead or somebody else?

No. We have read eight elements required to fulfill the AAR/PTWP prophecies:

He or she will be born 1) of the line of Aerys II & Rhaella.

He or she will be 2) born or reborn under a 3) red bleeding star with 4) cold winds blowing amidst 5) smoke and 6) salt to 7) wake a dragon.

He or she will 8) draw a burning sword from a fire that will be called Lightbringer.

You can stretch the other elements to make 'em fit just about any character. But that Aerys & Rhaella element limits the field to Dany, Jon (assuming R+L=J), and Aegon (assuming he's who JonCon thinks he is).

Archived