Popular theories you hope WON'T be proved

WeddinGuest

Yes yes to never seeing Sandor again. And Hot Pie, and Gendry too. I think what's so subversive about these books is how adventure is so horrible that I find myself praying that the hero doesn't heed the call! Refuse it and stay on your farm and maybe you'll be lucky enough to live in Dorne and miss out on the whole war!!

Yeah, I thought I'd heard that Mrs. Martin had extracted a promise from him to not kill Arya, no matter what else he did. Or some such.

The promise doesn't matter.

2. George R. R. Martin Will Kill Anyone

Martin's wife Parris once told Weiss and Benioff that she knew a certain character would survive until the end. How? Her husband had promised not to kill her favorite character. When Weiss and Benioff later mentioned this to Martin, he impishly said, "Oh, I just told her that." The upshot: nobody's safe.

http://www.lamag.com/laculture/culturefilesblog/2013/05/06/5-things-i-learned-about-game-of-thrones-from-the-shows-writers

Given all the reasons to think she will it would be a miracle if she didn't. Anyways, I hope that either Nymeria dies before her or with her to prevent second life theories. Although those theories are popular mainly among people who either dislike her and are Sansa fans. Those theories always ignore the fact that Orell was fading from his eagle in less than a year. It's not really a life and day by day they become more like an animal. I find it a dehumanizing theory so I'd rather them both just die.

The promise doesn't matter.

http://www.lamag.com/laculture/culturefilesblog/2013/05/06/5-things-i-learned-about-game-of-thrones-from-the-shows-writers

Given all the reasons to think she will it would be a miracle if she didn't. Anyways, I hope that either Nymeria dies before her or with her to prevent second life theories. Although those theories are popular mainly among people who either dislike her and are Sansa fans. Those theories always ignore the fact that Orell was fading from his eagle in less than a year. It's not really a life and day by day they become more like an animal. I find it a dehumanizing theory so I'd rather them both just die.

When someone replies to something impishly, that usually means that they are joking.

I see a lot of characters who are far more likely to die than she is. I think she makes it to the end.

Where was there bestiality in ADWD? I know it's off topic but I'm racking my brain and can't remember any.

There is the bit about Ramsey/Theon/Jayne and whatever they did with the dog. No details and personally glad there weren't. Also Varomir mentions that he's been inside the female wolf of his when she was being mounted (or in one of the wolves when they were having sex at the very least) which might be considered a form of bestiality.

Re the bestiality reference, when Jeyne Poole is finally rescued she is afraid "this is a trick" and goes on to state Ramsay doesn't have to cut her feet off because she won't run away, that she loves Ramsay and will do anything he wants, even "with the dog". Now, this does leave open the possibility that Ramsay was simply threatening to have Jeyne be raped by a dog if she didn't cooperate, and that this didn't actually happen, but -- it's Ramsay, do you really think bestiality is beyond him? Also, Tormund claims to have had sex with a bear, though that might be a tall tale, it doesn't seem Jon takes it that seriously, and many have suggested "bear" was actually a reference to a Mormont woman.

I think Arya will survive at least to the end of the series, as will Tyrion, Dany. Sansa, and Jon (assuming he didn't actually die in ADWD). However, I don't put anything past GRRM when it comes to the very end.

Agree with "Theon Durden" as another theory I hope isn't proved true. Or the many "Bloodraven warged so-and-so and s/he didn't even know it" theories, as the examples we've seen of human warging show one neurotypical victim struggling to fight Varamyr off, and while Hodor can't resist Bran he does KNOW his free will is being violated.

I guess in general, while I do realize we have unreliable narrators and all, I find theories that are based on "we can't trust the character POVs because they might not be in their right minds" or "so-and-so is being mind-controlled by magic" to be disturbing. Though we could argue that Mel is somehow controlling Mance through the ruby glamors, it seems Mance being a condemned criminal who Mel let escape from a gruesome death, would give him enough motivation to go along with Mel's wishes.

dont want any of the lannisters to be children of aerys

This. Jaime and Cersei are both Tywin's and not partially dragon and thus acceptable (or really from two different embryos- one Tywin's and the other Aery's). Though, I would like to find out if Jaime ever knew what occurred on his father's wedding night. Aery's seems the type to have perhaps told him. Also, I have thought in the past that perhaps Cersei slept with Aerys to get Jaime that golden cloak, and I don't want a repeat of Craster's and his daughters. Tyrion is Tywin's son, even if Tywin may have preferred it if he was told Tyrion belonges to Aery's in the afterlife.

I would relly prefer it if Jon Snow turned out to be the son of Eddard Stark. To clarify, I do not actually think that he is, the evidence for R+L=J is just too convincing, but I would love to be proven wrong on this point.

I like the idea of a legitimized Jon taking over the mantle of KitN far more than the idea of Jon Targeryn.

I have another popular theory I despise, yet fear will come true: That Sansa will be complicit in the death of her cousin, Robert Arryn. Now, seems it's mostly Sansa-haters who think this could happen, that Sansa will totally become LF's creature and go along with the death of an innocent who's only crime so far is to be a spoiled brat. (As opposed to Marillon and Lysa, I don't think either quite deserved to die the way they did but they were far from innocent). But if it does happen, it has been plausible and foreshadowed by her earlier actions.

Interesting juxtaposition. Something "plausible and foreshadowed" but "mostly Sansa-haters who think this could happen".

Almost condemns the lemoncakes as advocates of the implausible and unforseen.

Any sort of Targaryen restoration would be a travesty, not just for the people of Westeros - who would then have to endure the tyranny of a family with weapons of mass destruction as well as a predisposition for insanity - but for the readers, too. As the original poster said, it would reduce all of the complexity of ASoIaF to an Arthurian trope.

I very strongly agree with #2 and #3.

I also hate the idea of Jon not being dead. I would prefer he was alive but all the possible ways he can 'come back' that I've read just don't sit right with me. It would be insane if he was actually just properly dead.

Alsoooo the fake Aegon stuff. Keep in mind I havn't looked into all the theories but it just feels really cheap to me that he wouldn't be real :(

PS: Anything regarding prophecies lining up too predictably just makes me go NO!

Archived