Definition of "spoiler"

bloody_mummer

I see many threads marked "spoliers" here. I don't understand why. IMM, a "spoiler" is when you reveal something canon that someone else may not already know/have read. Here, there are dozens of threads that are people simply speculating about future events that are marked as "spoilers", as if someone's half-baked theory as to how Hot Pie will win the iron throne is a "spoiler."

I see many threads marked "spoliers" here. I don't understand why. IMM, a "spoiler" is when you reveal something canon that someone else may not already know/have read. Here, there are dozens of threads that are people simply speculating about future events that are marked as "spoilers", as if someone's half-baked theory as to how Hot Pie will win the iron throne is a "spoiler."

Simple answer anything using material or referances upto and inlucdign Dance are no-longer considered spoilers.

anything that uses info from sample chapters from GRRM's blog or readings from convenctions are spoilers.

A thread marked spoilers means that the people in it don't have to keep spoiler coding a lot of posts.

a theory about future events that ONLY uses AGOT-ADOD is not a spoiler thread and does not need to be marked spoilers. (it may be advisable to write - "NO SPOILERS PLEASE - I've not read any sample chapters" in your opening post)

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine this question is mostly related to TWOW sample chapters and GRRM's novellas coming out like TPATQ. Now, there are some special rules regarding those:

1. Spoiler period lasts for three months since the publishing of material (not chapter, but entire installment etc...)

2. When you want to discuss sample chapters from TWOW, always mark spoilers no matter what you talk about

3. Name of the sample chapter is considered to be spoiler. You can't say "Let us talk about Arianne's sample TWOW chapter"

4. General forum is for people who have read all the books. To avoid the confusion and possible rule breaking, most of the TWOW discussion should go to TWOW subforum

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I get annoyed at (even as a spoiled book reader) is people giving detailed TV information about upcoming episodes.

For example, "Can't wait to see XXX die in episode 4" or "the battle is in episode 7, you can tell by the episode title"

real example:

Most (if not all) of redacted storyline in AFFC and parts of redacted in ADWD will be covered this season.

At least with redacted story you can stay ahead, depending on how fast you read.redacted journey is due to start by E4, so you still have a four weeks lead.

From reports of E2, the very detailed plot point redacted ..... is not overtly shown but if you're watching carefully, you'll see how it's all orchestrated. It will be like an easter egg for those who re-watch the episode and know what's coming.

Sure, that's fine in some thread about episode 4 or 7, but I don't really like seeing posts like that in the discussion of episode 1.

Archived