Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

They did. He just spun it as taking the time to write his book.

Yes, which I'm sure is exactly why he's already talked about wanting to write an episode for next season.

Jesus, people have to make up fights where none exists just for the drama of it, it seems.

Not so sure. The Harry Potter movies can each stand on their own even if you have not seen the other's. They could do that here.

That's a good example of what should NOT they do. Although I enjoy the Harry Potter movies, as a film series, it's a huge mess with all sorts of continuity problems just because each movie was treated as an independent adaptation of said book,without taking into account what had the previous movies established and what hadn't (using Martin's words: there was no "butterfly effect" applied to the HP movies). As a result, the lack of coherence as the series went on was huge.

What Game of Thrones is doing is the opposite. They are adapting the story as a whole, not individual books. Therefore, even though it started of as a faithful adaptation, it's been slowly drifting away from the books because one small change or omission leads to another bigger change. Yes, it's becoming less faithful with each season, but as a series it's coherent and keeps the continuity in mind.

The interesting thing about him wanting a big budget movie is that it tells something about how the series will end. Instead of mainly low-key ending he seems to be going for something big and spectacular, seemingly including dragons.

don't fool yourself. he only wants a film because it would give him more years. if he thought a broadway musical would give him more time he would suggest one.

Not gonna' happen. There's a big difference between what HBO did with the Sex & The City films (which were released several years after the series had ended, and acted more as an epilogue than an ending to the story) and the upcoming Entourage film (which will act in much the same way as the aforementioned) than with Game of Thrones.

They aren't going to have seven or eight years of build-up on the show, only to tell their subscribers that they now have to go to the movies to see how it all ends. The Dunk & Egg series is a possibility, but I just don't think the interest is there for a feature length theatrical film there, either.

This is just Martin being all 'blue sky' and what not.

Oh you sweet summer child...there is far too much money on the table for them not to do a feature length film. Believe what you want but i have been saying this since HBO bought the series the series will end in a movie it will cost far too much money and bring in far too litte if HBO doesnt.

Oh you sweet summer child...there is far too much money on the table for them not to do a feature length film. Believe what you want but i have been saying this since HBO bought the series the series will end in a movie it will cost far too much money and bring in far too litte if HBO doesnt.

Believe what you want, but a feature length film with a blockbuster budget (because that's what it would require to pull it off) to end the series is an extremely risky venture. As others have said, doing a big finale on a tv finale budget and simultaneously broadcasting it in movie theaters as a special is a feasible idea, but there's no way HBO will do a feature length movie to show exclusively in movie theaters to end the series. It's an unnecessary risk when the show is already bringing in a shit ton of money through blu-ray sales, merchandise sales, added subscriptions and the like.

How are people even suggesting that the series will end with a movie? If that was the case the movie would have to be in production today. Movies don't just appear out of thin air as they take years to produce.

However, I'd be on board with them starting from the beginning and taking a jab at turning the books into feature films. I can never get enough ASOIAF.

• 3 months later...

The movie idea is stupid. GRRM already gave D&D the ending so there is no reason for D&D to not finish the series on television. If GRRM decides to change the ending along the way, that's not D&D's problem. They already have a storyline to work with.

Just the logistics of it would render it unworkable. All of the actors would have to sign additional contracts and be available for filming, with such a huge cast that's virtually impossible.

Plus, as stated upthread, they'd have to already be in production. Storyboarding for Lord of the Rings began in August of 1997 and the first film of the trilogy was released in December 2001.

If there are films, they'd be prequels or side stories. HBO isn't going to piss off its paying audience by telling them they have to finish the series at the movie theater, especially since GOT is one of the channel's biggest draws and there's no way in hell they're going to sign away the rights to a movie company.

GRRM was just blowing smoke, probably hoping for more time. Time he's not going to get.

Possible movies within the universe:

RR = YES

Doom of Valyria = YES

D & E = YES

The Princess and the Queen = YES

The Long Night = YES

Absolutely NO to anything in regards to the main series. It would be lunacy and a complete disaster to not end it on TV. It would not work at all like the producers hoped because of the particular context required to understand them. On the other hand if they dumbed them down so that you wouldn't even need to watch the TV show for context it would disappoint the fans.

I understand that GRRM is bummed out about the show overtaking the books but this is not the answer AT ALL. Either write faster or accept it.

• 3 weeks later...

don't fool yourself. he only wants a film because it would give him more years. if he thought a broadway musical would give him more time he would suggest one.

:rofl:

You're severely severely underestimating the budget because you're forgetting actor contracts. None of them are contracted for a movie so HBO would have to renegotiate with every one of them. And anybody with any sense would at that point ask for a ridiculous amount of money + good backend profits. Let's say all the main actors get together and decide they each want $50 million plus backend. What's HBO going to do? Pay like a billion dollars for the cast? Or replace all of them and piss everybody off? There's no realistic way to do it.

George is just reaching. It's his own fault that he won't be done by then, HBO isn't going to bend over backwards to let book readers get the ending first.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see the final season still be ten episodes, but for the tenth episode to be feature-lengthish and shown in theaters as well as on television—as the BBC did with the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special and the premiere of season eight. It seems to have worked really well for them, so I don't see why HBO couldn't do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived