Russia has annexed Crimea, will it stop there or go further?

Ser Scot A Ellison

I'm not so sure the Estonian Russian speaking minority are that eager to try out the famous Russian conscription system. Also, they are better off economically than the Ukrainian Russians - roughly the same GDP per capita for Estonia as Russia. But we'll see, ethnic nationalism does strange things to people.

I believe most of us hope that Putin will stop here, but realistically speaking, Crimeea is not very valuable on it's own. It's more useful as a stepping stone towards another goal (Transnistria is the first one that comes to my mind).

The actual other goal, if there is one, is parts of Eastern Ukraine.

Though this becomes problematic since Kherson is the part of Ukraine you've got to take to get control of resources in and out of Crimea that don't go by ship and they are actually not very Russian friendly comparatively afaik.

Why have we been Anschlussed into a thread about Russia?

I'm a little confused myself. The Ukraine thread was locked at 11 pages, a new Ukraine-specific thread (different from this one) was started, and now it seems to have vanished?

ETA: I see. Threads combined. But... why was the other one locked at 11 pages?

I'm a little confused myself. The Ukraine thread was locked at 11 pages, a new Ukraine-specific thread (different from this one) was started, and now it seems to have vanished?

I assume confusion over there being too many Ukraine threads and the mod misread 11 as 21 or something.

Whatever. This whole crisis is as much about Russia as anything.

There was a new thread for what I assumed were news reports. So I posted an article about a Ukrainian presidential contender who had his factory shut down. Now I'm here. I would as soon they have this thread and a news thread. Keep "Has anyone else heard this recording of Victoria Nuland?" threads closed.

Is this the new Ukraine thread?

Alexander Dugin, the crazy political theorist dude who's been getting so much attention the past few weeks, has gotten an English site apparently. In this article, he puts his predictions out for the future. He thinks Ukraine will descend into civil war, and at the some late point Russia will intervene to annex eastern Ukraine.

If seems to me that Putin is using Hitler's 1938 playbook Crimea = Austria, Sudetenland = Ukraine, Poland = Poland.

Yeah well, and how could he possibly act like Hitler in Poland? And, more importantly, for what reason? Is he going to send his troops to attack Poland? Why? What would he achieve, even if (let's theoretically assume) NATO would not respond to that? This is completely different Poland now from 25 years ago. Not a single Pole would agree to live in such a country. And what would he do, exterminate us? Deport us to Siberia? Come on, this is internet and smartphones era, I simply don't see it happening.

I think the Baltic Countries are playing Poland in this remake. They are small and cute so the audience will love them.

After Eastern Ukraine has been taken care of, Putin will start talking about Russia's right to the "Lithuanian corridor" that cuts off Kaliningrad Oblast from the Motherland.

Don't ya know? Putin is the new Hitler and Russia the new Nazi Germany.

No, no, no...haven't you been paying attention to Miodrag's posts? Victoria Nuland is the new Hitler or at the very least the new Joachim von Ribbentrop.

No, no, no...haven't you been paying attention to Miodrag's posts? Victoria Nuland is the new Hitler or at the very least the new Joachim von Ribbentrop.

No, it's always Putin and Russia that gets compared to Hitler and Nazi Germany. Nuland is the cookie monster!!!! lol

Archived