MLB 2014: Can't You Hear the Thunder?

Myshkin

I don't blame the Red Sox either, I don't think anybody does.

I heard some audio of John Sterling, the Yankee's play-by-play guy on WFAN, doing a hilariously homeristic call of the ejection. He never even acknowledged what Pineda was being tossed for. Two seconds after Pineda getting tossed, Sterling was already blustering, "Well, don't worry. They'll get the Red Sox the same way."

Do you think this will lead to retaliation and that Girardi will call the umps on Lester and Buchholz in future games, even if they're more "discreet" than Pineda was?

I heard some audio of John Sterling, the Yankee's play-by-play guy on WFAN, doing a hilariously homeristic call of the ejection. He never even acknowledged what Pineda was being tossed for. Two seconds after Pineda getting tossed, Sterling was already blustering, "Well, don't worry. They'll get the Red Sox the same way."

Do you think this will lead to retaliation and that Girardi will call the umps on Lester and Buchholz in future games, even if they're more "discreet" than Pineda was?

No...I mean, if one of them decides to play the jerk and make it obvious, maybe, but in general he isn't going to do anything. He knows the score probably better than anyone except the current pitchers from anyone involved on either team.

EEI played that clip from the Yankees broadcasters like 5 times this morning before 7. I honestly thought the woman was going to try to save the conversation but then goes on to state, basically, Farrell will regret this later in the year. No...he won't. He even sounded apologetic about it to a point - had to do it because it was so egregious.

I generally hate John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman but I wish I had heard that. I don't think it will lead to retaliation unless it is over the top stupid like Pineda.

I think the rule needs to be changed to allow for pitchers to use something for grip openly.

Someone in the booth at Fenway should've played this last night after he was tossed.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A#

I generally hate John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman but I wish I had heard that. I don't think it will lead to retaliation unless it is over the top stupid like Pineda.

I think the rule needs to be changed to allow for pitchers to use something for grip openly.

Waldman's commentary was funny too -- "They're checking his hands... His hands are clean! His hands are clean!" Like they and Joe Girardi were the only people in the stadium who couldn't see Pine Tar Quato growing out of Pineda's neck.

The rule does need to be changed. It's silly to me that in this day and age we're still on a "It's illegal, but you can do it as long as you're discreet" basis about something.

Waldman's commentary was funny too -- "They're checking his hands... His hands are clean! His hands are clean!" Like they and Joe Girardi were the only people in the stadium who couldn't see Pine Tar Quato growing out of Pineda's neck.

The rule does need to be changed. It's silly to me that in this day and age we're still on a "It's illegal, but you can do it as long as you're discreet" basis about something.

Now I really need to hear that. I wish I knew what his thought process was when applying the Pine Tar to his neck.

Someone in the booth at Fenway should've played this last night after he was tossed. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A#

Suzyn Waldman is the absolute worst. It's amazing she is still on the air. At least Sterling has his obnoxious home run calls to keep us entertained. I do wish I heard them last night though, it was ridiculous I'm sure.

Suzyn Waldman is the absolute worst. It's amazing she is still on the air. At least Sterling has his obnoxious home run calls to keep us entertained. I do wish I heard them last night though, it was ridiculous I'm sure.

They both need to go, the Yankees had the perfect opportunity to can them when they moved to ESPN radio. I think they should use their deep pockets to clone Red Barber and Mel Allen.

Now I really need to hear that.

So I heard it last night because the late night crew on Boston Sports Hub was having some fun with it. They couldn't play the actual WFAN audio while the game was still going on, so they... had a dramatic reading, based on transcripts. Later on the producers layered the impersonators' audio with the Sterling-Waldman audio and the impressions actually turned out to be pretty good.

Closest I can find is the impersonators' audio and then the double-layer audio. Sadly I can't find the original Sterling-Waldman bit that got replayed so many times on Boston sports radio. Be warned, you'll have to listen through a couple minutes of Felger and Massarotti blathering about crap before they get to the point.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/adam-jones-rich-keefe-impersonate-john-sterling-suzyn-waldman/

Archived