Benioff, Weiss On Board for 2 More Years

Westeros

More female showrunners would be nice...

Oh, I really agree in general. But is GoT's case I don't think having a female writer made much of a difference tbh, in fact I was quite surprised to find out there even was a woman among the writers.

SeventySeven, on 28 Mar 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Oh, I really agree in general. But is GoT's case I don't think having a female writer made much of a difference tbh, in fact I was quite surprised to find out there even was a woman among the writers.

The female writer on GOT wrote the latest movie called Divergent which stars a female character in a main role but i believe its an adapatation of a series like GOT is if i am not wrong . So yeah, it really wouldnt make any difference if the writer was a female, male,black,gay or whatever its the whole material that matters not the person who writes it .

Adaptation does not = source. A couple examples:

Show Asha (Yara): You're a cunt.

Book Asha: Cunt again? It was odd how men like Suggs used that word to demean women when it was the only part of a woman they valued.

Show Brienne: You sound like a bloody woman.

Book Brienne: Are you so craven?

No, she made no difference at all. She was writing what they wanted her to write.

We need more female showrunners, they are the ones who tell the others what to write.

Great infographic:

http://www.nyfa.edu/film-school-blog/gender-inequality-in-film/

Le Cygne, on 28 Mar 2014 - 7:13 PM, said:

Book Asha: Cunt again? It was odd how men like Suggs used that word to demean women when it was the only part of a woman they valued.

No, she made no difference at all. She was writing what they wanted her to write.

We need more female showrunners, they are the ones who tell the others what to write.

Great infographic:

Here we go again with dumb feminist posts. I guess the people at winter is coming were not wrong about what they said of the people from this website .

Great infographic:

I would advise you to stop making EVERYTHING about women. I doubt people are still taking anything you say seriously. I haven't been here long, but I don't think I've ever read a post by you not featuring this subject. Everything with you is about "women being undermined" or "should have been a woman". Choose the right topics to introduce your views, or people will just look away when all your posts are about it.

Off topic here, but...

I still think the idea that Asha would never use the term "cunt" in a derogatory fashion to a man is plain wrong. She herself thinks it's funny that guys use it in a derogatory way, when it's what many of them actually care about in a woman, but the fact is that men do use it, and see it, as a derogatory word, and are bothered if you call them by the term. In fact, I think she'd be even likelier to use it to a guy because of the fact that it's such an asymmetric word for her: she finds it funny, they don't.

So, yeah. Never had an issue with her calling Theon "a cunt" in the TV series, and I wouldn't blink if she used the term in the novels if we can see that she's using it with the ironic undertone of someone who laughs at the fact that the guy it's aimed at is offended.

(Similarly, Brienne's "You sound like a bloody woman" is throwing a word at Jaime which she understands that, in context, will offend him because he has negative views on such things. Doesn't mean she does, it means he does, she knows it, and she's using it for effect.)

So, yeah. Never had an issue with her calling Theon "a cunt" in the TV series, and I wouldn't blink if she used the term in the novels if we can see that she's using it with the ironic undertone of someone who laughs at the fact that the guy it's aimed at is offended.

Also, it's one of the funniest scenes of the season, really. Because she's right at the moment.

I would advise you to stop making EVERYTHING about women. I doubt people are still taking anything you say seriously. I haven't been here long, but I don't think I've ever read a post by you not featuring this subject. Everything with you is about "women being undermined" or "should have been a woman". Choose the right topics to introduce your views, or people will just look away when all your posts are about it.

She makes a perfectly valid point though. The female characters have been poorly written on the show in comparison to the books. I don't know whether I'd cite those two particular lines as an example of that, but it's definitely there in my opinion.

It's also well within any poster's rights to view the books/show through a particular lens and post accordingly. In this case a feminist one.

Off topic here, but...

I still think the idea that Asha would never use the term "cunt" in a derogatory fashion to a man is plain wrong. She herself thinks it's funny that guys use it in a derogatory way, when it's what many of them actually care about in a woman, but the fact is that men do use it, and see it, as a derogatory word, and are bothered if you call them by the term. In fact, I think she'd be even likelier to use it to a guy because of the fact that it's such an asymmetric word for her: she finds it funny, they don't.

(Similarly, Brienne's "You sound like a bloody woman" is throwing a word at Jaime which she understands that, in context, will offend him because he has negative views on such things. Doesn't mean she does, it means he does, she knows it, and she's using it for effect.)

Many of us didn't pick up Yara's "ironic undertone" in the show. And in the books, Jaime admired Brienne's courage, he said so, and for her to say, are you a coward, that is what spurred him on.

There's already a level of dissatisfaction among many for the way the adaptation is portraying female characters, so why add to that, when there are perfectly good book lines to use that did not involve female characters putting down male characters by calling them women.

Many of us didn't pick up Yara's "ironic undertone" in the show. And in the books, Jaime admired Brienne's courage, he said so, and for her to say, are you a coward, that is what spurred him on.

There's already a level of dissatisfaction among many for the way the adaptation is portraying female characters, so why add to that, when there are perfectly good book lines to use that did not involve female characters putting down male characters by calling them women.

You're right, they really should break up that sausage fest in the game of thrones writer's room.

Jettison D&D. Bring in Lena Dunham. Ratings will soar.

There's nothing in the show that prevents Asha from using the term while thinking it's funny. There's nothing in the books preventing Asha from using the term. That's my point, really. I think if you took it in that light, it would simply not be an issue. And in fact, I think the irony -- well, it's absolutely clear irony in Brienne's case, because while she's uncomfortable with gender normatives, she clearly doesn't actually think women are by nature mousy creatures who live in fright, but she knows that macho men like Jaime tend do so. Whereas Asha using the term is as of yet less clear, I suppose, but that's because we've seen little of her and have not yet come across her thinking on it (we likely never will, but in which case, as I said, nothing contradicts here: she uses it to be rude to Theon because she knows he'll find it incredibly rude, which is a source of amusement for her).

I wish all those nuts who said I despise every single change from book to series could be directed to this, but I've a feeling someone, somewhere, would still take me to task. :lmao:

Konrad,

Yes.

Archived