Daenerys Stormborn - A Re-Read Project Part II: ACoK & ASoS

MoIaF

I found the fire cut opal very interesting as well from one of the other Qartheen outposts. I was wondering if fire opals were mentioned anywhere else in the books. I dont them have on digital so I can't do a search. Thanks for researching some on it. Vaes Tolorro just struck me as important. I think it is definitely possible That is an Old Valyrian dragon.

I looked through the books and there is just one other mention of fire opal:

Daenerys II – Chapter 28 - ACoK

“Why should she need your Palace of Dust, when I can give her sunlight and sweet water and silks to sleep in?” Xaro said to the warlock. “ The Thirteen shall set a crown of black jade and fire opals upon her lovely head.”

Interesting enough while searching for opal I found something curious. I'm not sure if it means something or it's just a coincidence. The same type of working and descriptions were used to describe Dany's ancestors in her fevered dream and then later Dany used a similar description to describe the "soldiers" Xaro gave her.

Daenerys III – Chapter 41 - ACoK

“The armor had been made of silver and gold, the knights of jade and beryl and onyx and tourmaline, of amber and opal and amethyst, each as tall as her little finger. “A thousand lovely knights,” she said, “ but not the sort my enemies need fear. And my bullocks cannot carry me across the water, I— why are we stopping?” The oxen had slowed notably.”

Daenerys IX - AGoT

"In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white , and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.”

ETA: to add complete quote

“Why should she need your Palace of Dust, when I can give her sunlight and sweet water and silks to sleep in?” Xaro said to the warlock. “ The Thirteen shall set a crown of black jade and fire opals upon her lovely head.”

Interesting enough while searching for opal I found something curious. I'm not sure if it means something or it's just a coincidence. The same type of working and descriptions were used to describe Dany's ancestors in her fevered dream and then later Dany used a similar description to describe the "soldiers" Xaro gave her.

“The armor had been made of silver and gold, the knights of jade and beryl and onyx and tourmaline, of amber and opal and amethyst, each as tall as her little finger. “A thousand lovely knights,” she said, “ but not the sort my enemies need fear. And my bullocks cannot carry me across the water, I— why are we stopping?” The oxen had slowed notably.”

Daenerys IX - AGoT

“They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white , and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.”

Storms 59,

“Seven faces for Your Grace’s seven kingdoms,” the bride’s father explained. He showed them how each face bore the sigil of one of the great houses: ruby lion, emerald rose, onyx stag, silver trout, blue jade falcon, opal sun, and pearl direwolf.”

Chances are the opal sun is a fire opal, but it still fits the idea opal sun. The opal is related to fire in the scene. It's more relevant than you might be thinking.

Also Xaro is wearing Opals in Dance along with many other gem stones.

Daenerys IX - AGoT

"In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white , and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.”

ETA: to add complete quote

Thanks for looking that up :)

So Fire Opals more or less are just a reference to Qarth. that is obviously where they come from. He said he also found some broken purple glass, wonder what that was?

I am still very curious about this lithe Maiden draped in flowers. Any thoughts?

I wish there was a little more info. Maybe when the World of Ice and Fire comes out we will get some more history on this part of the world, and maybe some more Valyrian dragon info.

Storms 59,

“Seven faces for Your Grace’s seven kingdoms,” the bride’s father explained. He showed them how each face bore the sigil of one of the great houses: ruby lion, emerald rose, onyx stag, silver trout, blue jade falcon, opal sun, and pearl direwolf.”

Chances are the opal sun is a fire opal, but it still fits the idea opal sun. The opal is related to fire in the scene. It's more relevant than you might be thinking.

Also Xaro is wearing Opals in Dance along with many other gem stones.

So which house does the opal sun represent? The Targaryens? I guess it must

ruby lion-lannister

emerald rose--tyrells

onyx stag--baratheon

silver trout-tully

blue jade falcon-- Arryn??

Pearl Direwolf-- Stark

So sun Opal/Fire Opal must be House Targaryen....... So Fire Opals come from the part of the world near Qarth and Valyria.......

I wonder if Dany even knows it is her house stone? She has zero reaction to the bracelet so I doubt it.

So which house does the opal sun represent? The Targaryens? I guess it must

ruby lion-lannister

emerald rose--tyrells

onyx stag--baratheon

silver trout-tully

blue jade falcon-- Arryn??

Pearl Direwolf-- Stark

So sun Opal/Fire Opal must be House Targaryen....... So Fire Opals come from the part of the world near Qarth and Valyria.......

I wonder if Dany even knows it is her house stone? She has zero reaction to the bracelet so I doubt it.

House Martell, Sun Spear. The sigil is the sun, it's Dorne.

Do you guys think there is anything to the similar wording / description in these two chapters:

Daenerys IX - AGoT

Very brutal, but efficient. I wouldn't say that at this point in her career, Dany is as brutal as he was. Nor does she share his taste for debauchery.

You have to look at it without hindsight, in terms of the books kings and then swords it's some foreshadowing of Quentyn, not impressed with the bracelet, doesn't care about the crown being offered to her. The Crown itself was Targaryen colors, sort of, but the stones are associated with Dorne. I look at things like that to see how Martin drops obscure clues so I can compare them to later clues. There is a major clue with Xaro, and I think Illyrio, but I have to look at Illyrio's rings again to be sure. It's not really just for Dany though and it's a different topic that I am working on.

As fans we tend to always be looking to the future from Dance but a lot of things have actually been resolved in the books. So some things have resolved themselves though when it comes to Dany I think Dorne is really important to her. It's a different topic as well though, and I am not referring to Aegon, but rather what obvious connections does Dany have to Dorne, if you think about it you will see some very symbolic connections. The symbolism may be older than we think. Though I am not sure what it means, and why so much of it. But she does have a heavy association with Dorne, foreshadowing or her past, or both, I am not sure what it is or.

Do you guys think there is anything to the similar wording / description in these two chapters:

Daenerys IX - AGoT

Dany IX, great chapter and I know it's been covered here. The hair is clearly Valyrian, pale fire is very interesting, it's almost like an inverted symbolism of the Undying, which if you remember was slower, it was slowing her down till hear heart stopped. Targs have purple and amethyst eyes, but we don't know the color of the eyes of other Valyrians, though Opal is odd, this makes me think of Statues which we often see with semi precious stones for eyes. The symbolism here is fire, it's pale but it is there. Pale sword however tends to be associated with Dawn and the Pale sword tower. Tourmaline comes in so many colors like Opals it's hard to figure a color out. This is the rebirth dream, and it's directing her away from the cold. Faster, faster, faster.

I would take it in the full context of the dream.

Martin has a tendency to use groups of semi precious stones in place of colors, may be because they sound better. However the full use of the stones and gold could be because he wants you to remember other occasions in which they were used. So find all the occasions were you see him describe things like this within the context of the chapters given and explore. I know of at least two very important connections. But that's a different topic. PM me and I'll talk about it, but it's a not yet ready for prime time theory.

You want to read Kings 41 again and then Kings 48, if you can't figure it out PM me and I'll show you the answer to the true riddle. The one right in front of you.

Thanks for looking that up :)

So Fire Opals more or less are just a reference to Qarth. that is obviously where they come from. He said he also found some broken purple glass, wonder what that was?

I am still very curious about this lithe Maiden draped in flowers. Any thoughts?

I wish there was a little more info. Maybe when the World of Ice and Fire comes out we will get some more history on this part of the world, and maybe some more Valyrian dragon info.

My bad, there is one more reference to fire opals:

Dany AGOT

“For a moment Dany was so shocked she had no words. “My eggs … but they’re mine, Magister Illyrio gave them to me, a bride gift, why would Viserys want … they’re only stones …”

“The same could be said of rubies and diamonds and fire opals, Princess … and dragon’s eggs are rarer by far.”

I'd like to add some comments on the short but significant exchange at the end of the current POV. Quaithe says, "We come seeking dragons." I think a third party might well have responded, "Why? What makes you think you'll find them here?" That, of course, is not what Daenerys says. But consider the matter from a Qartheen point of view. Say you are a more or less average citizen of the city. You are hanging around the marketplace with individuals of various income levels and political power. Then, out of the wasteland, comes this savage with an incredible story. He claims that a young woman out there somewhere put three fossils on a large pyre. She lit the thing and walked into the resulting inferno. Not only did she survive, she brought forth three dragons. How would you and your compatriots reply? Probably something like this--

"Yeah, right buddy, the sun's really intense in the desert, isn't it? And you were out there all that time without a hat."

Perhaps someone who thought the tale could have some substance would recommend that a couple of soldiers or a low-ranking official should go out and check on the situation. Or maybe it would be handled the way it was in the TV series: Give the guy a fresh horse and a supply of water. Let him return to the red waste and show his khalsar the way to the city, bringing the wonders that he claimed had been hatched on the edge of the Dothraki sea. Certainly, there would be no chance that three important people would go traipsing out into the middle of nowhere because of a wild tale from a single rider. So why did this happen? Undoubtedly, it was because of the nature of two of the three people. The warlocks in a sense were "expecting" Daenerys Stormborn. Perhaps even more important was the shadowbinder. On the face of things, there was no reason for Quaithe to even be in the city at that particular time. One of the themes of ASoIaF, however, is the sense that forces are moving in the world. The return of the dragons is part of this process. How the process started and what will develop is not certain. There are individuals who can sense things happening though. Such people know that Jhogo's report is accurate. They say this, and others listen.

I'd like to add some comments on the short but significant exchange at the end of the current POV. Quaithe says, "We come seeking dragons." I think a third party might well have responded, "Why? What makes you think you'll find them here?" That, of course, is not what Daenerys says. But consider the matter from a Qartheen point of view. Say you are a more or less average citizen of the city. You are hanging around the marketplace with individuals of various income levels and political power. Then, out of the wasteland, comes this savage with an incredible story. He claims that a young woman out there somewhere put three fossils on a large pyre. She lit the thing and walked into the resulting inferno. Not only did she survive, she brought forth three dragons. How would you and your compatriots reply? Probably something like this--

"Yeah, right buddy, the sun's really intense in the desert, isn't it? And you were out there all that time without a hat."

Perhaps someone who thought the tale could have some substance would recommend that a couple of soldiers or a low-ranking official should go out and check on the situation. Or maybe it would be handled the way it was in the TV series: Give the guy a fresh horse and a supply of water. Let him return to the red waste and show his khalsar the way to the city, bringing the wonders that he claimed had been hatched on the edge of the Dothraki sea. Certainly, there would be no chance that three important people would go traipsing out into the middle of nowhere because of a wild tale from a single rider. So why did this happen? Undoubtedly, it was because of the nature of two of the three people. The warlocks in a sense were "expecting" Daenerys Stormborn. Perhaps even more important was the shadowbinder. On the face of things, there was no reason for Quaithe to even be in the city at that particular time. One of the themes of ASoIaF, however, is the sense that forces are moving in the world. The return of the dragons is part of this process. How the process started and what will develop is not certain. There are individuals who can sense things happening though. Such people know that Jhogo's report is accurate. They say this, and others listen.

Good point.

I agree that Quaithe and Prat Pree knew that this had already happened so they would believe it immediately.

Quaithe may have also already knew the moment they were hatched, Dany's fevered dream she heard stars whispering which is exactly the same as the way she contacted her in ADWD.

I also wonder why Xaro believed it, cause even when Dany arrives in Qarth he doesn't believe in the warlocks and he doesn't trust Quaithe.

I also wonder why Xaro believed it, cause even when Dany arrives in Qarth he doesn't believe in the warlocks and he doesn't trust Quaithe.

That's why he went. Xaro doesn't have to believe it, but if the others think it's important enough to go, Xaro goes along too to keep an eye on them.

That's why he went. Xaro doesn't have to believe it, but if the others think it's important enough to go, Xaro goes along too to keep an eye on them.

That's right, or at least about right. Xaro may think that the warlocks are now hollow husks. On the other hand, he may belittle them to convince Dany that he is her only powerful friend in Qarth. He doesn't like or trust Quaithe, but he doesn't deny her power. I think that he went out onto the red waste believing it likely (or at least possible) that the trip would be worthwhile.

Daenerys II: Qarth

“Qarth is the greatest city that ever was or ever will be”-Pyat Pree

Summary

The chapter continues from where we left off which was at Vaes Tolorro where Dany met the three seekers, Xaro, Quaithe and Pyat Pree as they travel south east to the glorious city of Qarth. It opens as Dany is welcomed into Qarth, and since she has dragons never seen in hundreds of years, she is given a more than warm welcome. Children put flowers on the ground for her arrival and everyone in Qarth lined up to see the wonder Dany had brought into the world. Dany and her khalasar are taken into Qarth, Dany notices how much of a wonder and beauty the city is. Pyat Pree offers to take Dany to the House of the Undying and Xaro offers Dany, gifts, gold and everything he can offer her. Jorah advises Dany that those two aren’t to be trusted and even the whole Qarth itself shouldn’t be trusted. Xaro gives Dany his mansion to stay, in which she describes it as being larger than Illyrio’s mansion, on the leave he states the whole Qarth will see her tomorrow Dany notes to herself that it is just the dragons they will come and see. Pyrat Pree leaves stating he will petition for an audience at the House of the Undying for Dany. The last of the three doesn't offer Dany anything all she does is warns her about her dragons, that many will lust for them. Dany takes Quaithe’s words seriously even though she doesn't trust her and tells her people, Aggo in particular, to make sure the dragons are always guarded. As the three seekers are gone Dany sends Rakharo to scout Qarth and sends Jorah to find out if there are any ships from westeros that have docked at Qarth. Jorah returns with the captain Quhuru Mo, and he announces to Dany that Robert Baratheon is dead. Dany discusses with Jorah how important this is and makes a clear distinction that she is not Viserys, and she states that even though dragons die just as her brother Rhaegar did, so do dragonslayers.

Observations

• Dany seems to follow instinct as she still holds on to the belief the red star brought her here for a reason.
  • The pool in Qarth uses the same method of cleaning as in Meereen with fish nibbling
  • These three animals are a recurring threesome in the East, Dragons. manticores and griffins as they are in Qarth, Vaes Dothrak and also in Volantis in Tyrion's chapter in ADWD.
  • As this is the first time Dany is a leader she tries not to end up as her brother by dismising any things her brother would do and drawing a line between them
  • Dany still believes Viserys is the rightful king, which shows she still cares for him and wishes he was alive.

Analysis

The three Walls and Gates of Qarth

At the beginning of the chapter the three walls are described by Dany and I believe this shows us a bit of the history of Qarth as a city.

Three thick walls encircled Qarth, elaborately carved. The outer was red sandstone, thirty feet high and decorated with animals: snakes slithering, kites flying, fish swimming, intermingled with wolves of the red waste and striped zorses and monstrous elephants. The middle wall, forty feet high, was grey granite alive with scenes of war: the clash of sword and shield and spear, arrows in flight, heroes at battle and babes being butchered, pyres of the dead. The innermost wall was fifty feet of black marble, with carvings that made Dany blush until she told herself that she was being a fool. She was no maid; if she could look on the grey wall’s scenes of slaughter, why should she avert her eyes from the sight of men and women giving pleasure to one another? The outer gates were banded with copper, the middle with iron; the innermost were studded with golden eyes.

Qarth has three walls all made of different material, built of different heights and all closed by different gates. Considering they are all made of different materials it makes sense to assume they were made at different periods of time, if they were all made at the same time then the strongest material would be used to build all three of them to make the defense stronger. The first wall was made of sandstone and had a copper gate, which I believe is the first wall that was built around Qarth, the copper gate is telling as copper was the first metal used by mankind even in our world dating back to 10,000 BC in the middle east, the wall built of sandstone also represents a time low technological advancement where sand was used to make walls, the carvings in the first wall

snakes slithering, kites flying, fish swimming, intermingled with wolves of the red waste and striped zorses and monstrous elephants”

also is a sign of an era where there was very little civilization and man dwelled with animals. A taller second wall built with granite and gated with iron shows a period of advancement for Qarth, as iron is now used this shows technological advancement from the copper age to the iron age, a more taller and stronger wall shows a time where Qarth needed to protect itself from enemies and this is represented by the symbols of war on this wall. The tallest and most recent of the walls represent the current period of Qarth which is about wealth and glory, a golden gate symbolizes this well and carvings of sexual scenes show the Qartheen are ready to express how wonderful, glorius and peaceful their city is, this is also similar to the Golden age described in Greek Mythology.

The Entry into Qarth

GRRM uses a biblical allusion in this chapter. Just as he did with the three wise men in the previous chapter, he does the same here alluding to Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. Similarly here flowers are put on the floor for Dany and everyone in Qarth is there for her arrival.

The Glory of Qarth

In addition to all we have heard of Qarth, we see firsthand how great of a city it is.

Pyrat Pree conducted her little khalasar down the center of a great arcade where the city’s ancient heroes stood thrice life-size on columns of white and green marble. They passed through a bazaar in a cavernous building whose latticework ceiling was home to a thousand gaily colored birds. Trees and flowers bloomed on the terraced walls above the stalls, while below it seemed as if everything the gods had put into the world was for sale.

The Warlocks

After Dany’s last dreadful encounter with a practitioner of magic, this chapter introduces us to the warlocks of Qarth, Pyrat Pree in particular. At this point Dany is still soured from her loss of her husband and son during her last encounter with magic.

Dany was wary of the warlock; the maegi Mirri Maz Duur had soured her on those who played at sorcery.

We also learn about the power of the warlocks.

“Then why do men lower their voices when they speak of the warlocks of Qarth? All across the east, their power and wisdom are revered.” “Once they were mighty,” Xaro agreed, “but now they are as ludicrous as those feeble old soldiers who boast of their prowess long after strength and skill have left them. They read their crumbling scrolls, drink shade-of-the-evening until their lips turn blue, and hint of dread powers, but they are hollow husks compared to those who went before. Pyat Pree’s gifts will turn to dust in your hands, I warn you.”

Xaro doesn’t know that the birth of the dragons has awakened magic back into the world, so he believes they are useless or this could again be a political ploy by Xaro to convice Dany that he is her better choice. Xaro also says the warlocks were once mighty, considering Dany’s dragons have awakened magic then that would mean they are mighty again and GRRM has stated that in AWOW we will learn more of Pyrat Pree so I guess Dany is not done dealing with the warlocks and they could be a threat since magic has gotten stronger as the book has gone on.

What’s more beautiful?

Xaro Xhoan Daxos had offered Dany the hospitality of his home while she was in the city. She had expected something grand. She had not expected a palace larger than many a market town. It makes Magister Illyrio’s manse in Pentos look like a swineherd’s hovel, she thought. Xaro swore that his home could comfortably house all of her people and their horses besides; indeed, it swallowed them. An entire wing was given over to her. She would have her own gardens, a marble bathing pool, a scrying tower and warlock’s maze. Slaves would tend her every need. In her private chambers, the floors were green marble, the walls draped with colorful silk hangings that shimmered with every breath of air

I think this description is very and relevant to Dany’s future. Dany believes westeros is the most beautiful place in the world due to the tales told by Viserys and she even puts the Red Keep’s beauty on the same scale as Xaro’s palace.

Dany padded out to where the marble pool sat in the shade of a portico. The water was deliciously cool, and the pool was stocked with tiny golden fish that nibbled curiously at her skin and made her giggle. It felt good to close her eyes and float, knowing she could rest as long as she liked. She wondered whether Aegon’s Red Keep had a pool like this, and fragrant gardens full of lavender and mint. It must, surely. Viserys always said the Seven Kingdoms were more beautiful than any other place in the world.

Many people have long speculated that Dany’s arrival to Westeros will be a disappointment to her and she will find out that it really isn’t her home. I think these quotes are a sign. From other POV’s in the Red Keep we know that they don’t have a pool like this and we also know King’s Landing is not as beautiful as Qarth, in fact miles away from being beautiful like Qarth. And she is going to arrive during winter which won’t be a pretty site.

Quaithe

We are introduced to one of the most mysterious characters in Dany’s arc in this chapter. She plays a large role in Dany’s arc and I think it is therefore essential to analyze and discuss what her motives are.

Last of the three seekers to depart was Quaithe the shadowbinder. From her Dany received only a warning. “Beware,” the woman in the red lacquer mask said. “Of whom?” “Of all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power.”

Whiles Xaro and Pyrat are trying to use ways to get Dany’s dragons it seems Quaithe is trying to protect them. She doesn’t offer Dany anything but a word of advice, so at this point we know her current standing is that she believes dragons are powerful tools and advises Dany to protect them well.

Usurper’s dogs

A key thing to note in this chapter is Dany’s reference to the usurper dogs. Many people mistaken Dany’s term as being a term for the whole Lannister house and the whole Stark House but that is not the case.

And with him stood the great lords her brother had named the Usurper’s dogs, cold-eyed Eddard Stark with his frozen heart, and the golden Lannisters, father and son, so rich, so powerful, so treacherous.

So the Usurper's dogs only refer to Ned Stark, Tywin Lannister and Jaime Lannister.

Filling in a Khal’s shoes

After Dany obtained her dragons at the end of AGOT this was the beginning of her trying to step into the shoes of her dead husband or in other words taking the role of a male in this series. She made comparisons between her and her husband in the last chapter and she continues to do so in this one as the quote below shows.

How could she hope to overthrow such men? When Khal Drogo had lived, men trembled and made him gifts to stay his wrath. If they did not, he took their cities, wealth and wives and all. But his khalasar had been vast, while hers was meager. Her people had followed her across the red waste as she chased her comet, and would follow her across the poison water too, but they would not be enough. Even her dragons might not be enough.

The Shadow is lifted

Dany’s whole life she has been haunted by Robert Baratheon being alive. Just imagine your whole family dies and you grow up your whole life thinking that your next, that’s exactly how Dany felt. And when she found out that Robert was dead, this was a big turning point in her life.

Outside her walls, dusk was settling over Qarth, but a sun had risen in Dany’s heart. “Dead?” she repeated. In her lap, black Drogon hissed, and pale smoke rose before her face like a veil. “You are certain? The Usurper is dead?” Dany had never looked upon the Usurper’s face, yet seldom a day had passed when she had not thought of him. His great shadow had lain across her since the hour of her birth, when she came forth amidst blood and storm into a world where she no longer had a place. And now this ebony stranger had lifted that shadow.

This news also gave Dany a new found strength, since before that she was unsure of what to do in Qarth.

Xaro vs. Pyrat Pree

An interesting part of the chapter is an exchange between Xaro and Pyrat. Xaro offers her everything she wants, mostly in terms of riches and Pyrat offers her wisdom, through her going to the palace of dust. As we will later find out these aren’t really the case as Dany leaves the HOTU with more questions than answers and rejects Xaro’s gifts. Also compered to Quaithe these two are after the dragons and hence seem to be using ways to convince Dany to trust them.

Dany and Jorah

This is the chapter after Dany finds out about Jorah’s feelings towards her, and it’s a good thing to see how her opinion towards him has changed as we go along the reread.

My great bear, Dany thought. I am his queen, but I will always be his cub as well, and he will always guard me. It made her feel safe, but sad as well. She wished she could love him better than she did.

From this we know Dany doesn’t love Jorah but wished she could love him at this point in the story.

Dragonslayers

So far all the dragonslayers in the story are dead, Robert and Tywin only Jaime sill lives. So dragonslayers also die aswell as dragons.

Conclusion: This chapter is Dany’s first exposure of the politics involved in being a leader. Which involves knowing the right people to trust and the right decisions to make, lets see where it unfolds from here.

The three Walls and Gates of Qarth

At the beginning of the chapter the three walls are described by Dany and I believe this shows us a bit of the history of Qarth as a city.

Three thick walls encircled Qarth, elaborately carved. The outer was red sandstone, thirty feet high and decorated with animals: snakes slithering, kites flying, fish swimming, intermingled with wolves of the red waste and striped zorses and monstrous elephants. The middle wall, forty feet high, was grey granite alive with scenes of war: the clash of sword and shield and spear, arrows in flight, heroes at battle and babes being butchered, pyres of the dead. The innermost wall was fifty feet of black marble, with carvings that made Dany blush until she told herself that she was being a fool. She was no maid; if she could look on the grey wall’s scenes of slaughter, why should she avert her eyes from the sight of men and women giving pleasure to one another? The outer gates were banded with copper, the middle with iron; the innermost were studded with golden eyes.

Qarth has three walls all made of different material, built of different heights and all closed by different gates. Considering they are all made of different materials it makes sense to assume they were made at different periods of time, if they were all made at the same time then the strongest material would be used to build all three of them to make the defense stronger. The first wall was made of sandstone and had a copper gate, which I believe is the first wall that was built around Qarth, the copper gate is telling as copper was the first metal used by mankind even in our world dating back to 10,000 BC in the middle east, the wall built of sandstone also represents a time low technological advancement where sand was used to make walls, the carvings in the first wall

snakes slithering, kites flying, fish swimming, intermingled with wolves of the red waste and striped zorses and monstrous elephants”

also is a sign of an era where there was very little civilization and man dwelled with animals. A taller second wall built with granite and gated with iron shows a period of advancement for Qarth, as iron is now used this shows technological advancement from the copper age to the iron age, a more taller and stronger wall shows a time where Qarth needed to protect itself from enemies and this is represented by the symbols of war on this wall. The tallest and most recent of the walls represent the current period of Qarth which is about wealth and glory, a golden gate symbolizes this well and carvings of sexual scenes show the Qartheen are ready to express how wonderful, glorious and peaceful their city is, this is also similar to the Golden age described in Greek Mythology.

Though usually the reverse is the case - the inner walls are built first with later walls built around them as the city expands. The triple wall implies that Qarth isn't a growing city. There are a couple of references to slim towers and apparently frail balconies implying a superior building technology, one that enables them to build up instead of out. But it's clearly not meant to be expansionist - whether this is realistic in terms of its extensive merchant and trading interests I'm not sure, but we're clearly meant to get the impression of an old and decadent society, though not one at the point of decay.

Though usually the reverse is the case - the inner walls are built first with later walls built around them as the city expands. The triple wall implies that Qarth isn't a growing city. There are a couple of references to slim towers and apparently frail balconies implying a superior building technology, one that enables them to build up instead of out. But it's clearly not meant to be expansionist - whether this is realistic in terms of its extensive merchant and trading interests I'm not sure, but we're clearly meant to get the impression of an old and decadent society, though not one at the point of decay.

I do agree that Qarth's architectural setting seems to be building from out, then in wards, then higher.

In terms of expansion, Qarth has actually expanded to other places in the red waste, Qarkash, Port Yhos and Qal are all Qartheen colonies, and Vaes Orthik, Vaes Shirosi and Vaes Qosar were all former Qartheen colonies destroyed during the bleeding years.

Daenerys II: Qarth

“Qarth is the greatest city that ever was or ever will be”-Pyat Pree

Excellent analysis! :bowdown:

The Glory of Qarth

In addition to all we have heard of Qarth, we see firsthand how great of a city it is.

Pyrat Pree conducted her little khalasar down the center of a great arcade where the city’s ancient heroes stood thrice life-size on columns of white and green marble. They passed through a bazaar in a cavernous building whose latticework ceiling was home to a thousand gaily colored birds. Trees and flowers bloomed on the terraced walls above the stalls, while below it seemed as if everything the gods had put into the world was for sale.

Qarth must be one of the largest city is Essos, to impress even Dany who has travel through many of the free cities. I also really liked this sentence:

"All the odors that been missing from Vaes Tolorro had found their way to Qarrth"

If Vaes Tolorro had been an outpost (of a kind) of Qarth perhaps it's remaining citizens fled to Qarth after they were sacked.

Dany and Jorah

This is the chapter after Dany finds out about Jorah’s feelings towards her, and it’s a good thing to see how her opinion towards him has changed as we go along the reread.

My great bear, Dany thought. I am his queen, but I will always be his cub as well, and he will always guard me. It made her feel safe, but sad as well. She wished she could love him better than she did.

From this we know Dany doesn’t love Jorah but wished she could love him at this point in the story.

Their relationship has grown sense the events of the last book, however, I do have to say that Jorah still treats Dany condescendingly at times. In his ming as Dany says she is still a cub and he wants to protector, however, he forgets that she is his leader, his queen. Dany on the other hand is very understanding, she calmly explains to him, that she is no fool:

"I am not the fighter girl you met in Oentos. have counted only fifteen name days, true... but I am as old as the crones in the dosh khaleen and as young as my dragons, Jorah. I have born a child, burned a khal, and crossed the res waste and the Dothraki sea. Mine is the blood of the dragon."

We see throughout the chapter that Dany is very bright and that she doesn't buy into the "kindness of stranger". Back in her firs chapter in AGOT she says something to the effect that you don't get something for nothing, and she has that in mind as well while in Qarth.

Some accuse her of going all "fire and blood" when she reaches Westeros, but Dany has a clear understanding of what that entails and that's not quite the direction she wants to take. She says:

"The Dothraki sacked cities and plundered kingdoms, they did not rule them. Dany had no wish to reduce King’s Landing to a blackened ruin full of unquiet ghosts. She had supped enough tears. I want to make my kingdom beautiful, to fill it with fat men and pretty maids and laughing children. I want my people to smile when they see me ride by, the way Viserys said they smiled for my father. But before she could do that she must conquer."

So she understand that she'll need to conquer in order to get the resources to take back Westeros, but she also understand that the methods she uses for conquering cannot be the same as the ones she'll have to use to take back Westeros and rule.

This lesson is also clear in ADWD - she sacked Meereen then tried to rule, but it became an incredibly hard task. Will she be able to correlate this with her earlier thoughts, one hopes.

As for Viserys, she still misses him and loves him and has absorbed many of his "teachings" yet she still understood that he was a fool in believing that he could just show up to Westeros and they'd fall to their knees praising him as their king.

"Viserys had believed that the realm would rise for its rightful king … but Viserys had been a fool, and fools believe in foolish things."

She know she'll have to conquer Westeros but she also know she can't do it the Dothraki way. It obviously will not be easy, but at least she understands that.

"The Dothraki sacked cities and plundered kingdoms, they did not rule them. Dany had no wish to reduce Kings Landing to a blackened ruin full of unquiet ghosts. She had supped enough tears. I want to make my kingdom beautiful, to fill it with fat men and pretty maids and laughing children. I want my people to smile when they see me ride by, the way Viserys said they smiled for my father. But before she could do that she must conquer."

It's amazing quotes like this are completely ignored by Dany detractors when talking about what a horrible queen she'd be.

Archived