Walking Dead Season 5 (No Comic Spoilers)

Howdyphillip

Have you seen the movie Ravenous? That movie is all about developing a 'the hunger', as you nicely put it, after eatin' people for the first time. Almost a supernatural compulsion to continue to do it. IIRC, the first few human snacks were out of a need for survival and things got out of hand from there.

I have my doubts that a similar thing is going on in TWD, though. I think Gareth's group are just a sick bunch.

I haven't seen it. Their hunger does seem more than just survival instincts,they sure are sick bunch.

It makes sense if you think of the virus as a recessive quality that stays in the background as long as "life" is the person's current condition (the living condition is the dominant one of the two), so as long as you're alive the virus is just background noise, it remains switched off. But what the bite does is it confuses the cells in the body into thinking "Are we dead now? Because we have these zombie body fluids floating around in us now..... HEY! Our host body is dead! Send out the word to all cells! Death protocols are in effect! Start the zombification process! We have proof of active virus in these neighboring bite cells. That means this body has been switched over to "dead status" and life is no longer the dominant condition because this part of the body has ceased to be alive, so I'm letting my cell's virus out now. Over!"

Earlier you mentioned TB. What you describe here is pretty much what happens in TB - it lies dormant so long as your immune system is fully functional. When a person becomes immunosuppressed that latent infection becomes activated.

I just can't with all the these theories about infection/toxins/viruses... I'm a medical microbiologist and it just doesn't work for me so I just don't even try to make sense of it. I just don't worry about it. :)

OTOH, I do really, really want to know why Bob was crying and why the hunters indicated that it was significant that it was Bob they caught and were eating. I think the crack about him tasting better than they expected was just 'making a joke'.

OTOH, I do really, really want to know why Bob was crying and why the hunters indicated that it was significant that it was Bob they caught and were eating. I think the crack about him tasting better than they expected was just 'making a joke'.

I think that was because Bob was next in-line during the slaughter-house scene. So he only survived a little longer and gets eaten anyway.

Yeah, I am just re-watching the first two eps. Glenn was next, Bob was actually last. However, it was Bob who gave the 'but you don't have to do this - we can fix this!', so maybe that explains it.

At the risk of starting any fights (really don't want to do that), can anyone who has read the GN please let me know how the timeline correlates between the show and the book at this point (in the show)? I know it's blurred and not a neat fit. I've read the first five books but stalled in my reading about 18 months ago. I just ordered book six. But I've stayed out of the comic spoilers thread here and now I don't want to be spoiled for the show. If I've read book five (and soon book six) will I be able to read the comic spoiler thread safely? Or does that thread reference all of the published books? PM me if that's safer? I know how serious some people are about spoilers. :)

So Michonne has her katana back. Yay!

I know it's symbolic in that it brings her back to the brutality she wanted to leave behind, but damn - Michonne without her katana is like a morning without sunshine!

What was the significance of the "A" on the side of the church? I didn't quite get that.

And what the heck is up with Beth in the hospital in the preview for next week? Is it a flashback?

Pretty good episode, IMO. But every time the good reverend is onscreen, the excitement level goes down a few notches. Maybe they have an interesting storyline planned for him, but so far I'm not seeing it.

And was anyone else mildly surprised that Gareth was disposed of so abruptly? I figured he had another couple of episodes left in him. And that monologue to Bob as he's chewing on a piece of Bob jerky was priceless.

So Michonne has her katana back. Yay!

I know it's symbolic in that it brings her back to the brutality she wanted to leave behind, but damn - Michonne without her katana is like a morning without sunshine!

What was the significance of the "A" on the side of the church? I didn't quite get that.

And what the heck is up with Beth in the hospital in the preview for next week? Is it a flashback?

Pretty good episode, IMO. But every time the good reverend is onscreen, the excitement level goes down a few notches. Maybe they have an interesting storyline planned for him, but so far I'm not seeing it.

And was anyone else mildly surprised that Gareth was disposed of so abruptly? I figured he had another couple of episodes left in him. And that monologue to Bob as he's chewing on a piece of Bob jerky was priceless.

I'm happy they offed Gareth tonight. We don't need another Govenor right now when they're about to transition to another location. He did well in the episodes that he was in, but any longer than this and it would've been too drawn out.

As for Daryl, I think him coming out of the woods is post next week's episode. I think he may come back with Beth, and not Carol. I'm assuming next week will be all about what Beth has been up to, and Daryl/Carol come in at the end to help her. Perhaps Carol stays wherever they go. I was getting a lone wolf vibe from her lately.

That was awesome, I was worried they'd be sitting in that church having a ridiculous war with those people for half the season. I've completely forgotten everything about Beth, I just assumed she was one of those characters that died somewhere along the way - what happened to her?

She was taken by someone who was driving a black car with a cross on the rear window. Daryl and Carol saw that car in last week's episode.

Back in Terminus, the train car they were all held up in was car "A", that was even the title of the last episode of last season.

The Termites painting the "A" on the church was them saying "Yep it's us again and you might as well still be in car A as far as we're concerned."

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

Archived