Benioff and Weiss in Vanity Fair

Westeros

I like some of the more detailed discussion about the 1st pilot. Pretty honest stuff there. Has anyone ever asked about the Dany and Catelyn re-casts between pilots? Seems like that subject is always avoided even in Emilia Clarke and Michele Fairley interviews when talking about how they got started on the show.

It seems silly to think that a lot of people couldn't keep many of the characters straight in that episode now that we've lived with them for so long but if you think about it, the pilot had a ridiculous job to do which was to get people interested in the plot and provide a reason to come back to the show while attempting to introduce a shit ton of characters who would all become important at some point.

In Winterfell alone in the pilot, you had Ned, Cat, Robb, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Rickon, Luwin, Rodrik, Mordane, Jory, Theon, Benjen, Robert, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion and Joffrey not to mention off-screen characters being mentioned and provided backstory like Lyanna, Aerys, Lysa and Jon Arryn.

And then you zip off to another continent and have a completely different story going on with Dany, Viserys, Illyrio, Jorah and Drogo. I don't really have an issue with the segment of people that needed to be reminded that Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister in that 1st hour.

It seems silly to think that a lot of people couldn't keep many of the characters straight in that episode now that we've lived with them for so long but if you think about it, the pilot had a ridiculous job to do which was to get people interested in the plot and provide a reason to come back to the show while attempting to introduce a shit ton of characters who would all become important at some point.

In Winterfell alone in the pilot, you had Ned, Cat, Robb, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Rickon, Luwin, Rodrik, Mordane, Jory, Theon, Benjen, Robert, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion and Joffrey not to mention off-screen characters being mentioned and provided backstory like Lyanna, Aerys, Lysa and Jon Arryn.

And then you zip off to another continent and have a completely different story going on with Dany, Viserys, Illyrio, Jorah and Drogo. I don't really have an issue with the segment of people that needed to be reminded that Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister in that 1st hour.

I agree, and the fact that the audience was able to grasp so many with the new Pilot was impressive. Though I'll admit I didn't really know who Theon was for most of Season 1.

I agree, and the fact that the audience was able to grasp so many with the new Pilot was impressive. Though I'll admit I didn't really know who Theon was for most of Season 1.

It seems ridiculous now but as a non-book reader (at the time), I had no idea what the difference was between Robb, Jon and Theon for a little while. A re-watch set it straight but in the moment, it was extremely overwhelming and I consider myself a very focused tv viewer and I even knew ahead of time the story would be very complicated.

King Tommen, no one's talked about Dany's recasting but Jennifer Ehle has talked about not coming back for GoT. She had just had a kid and didn't want to commit to it but she says she's read the books and now watches the show as a fan. I hope they get her involved somehow, though I'm glad Michelle Fairley played Cat because she did such an excellent job.

Did you feel like he knew? Or was he figuring it out?

Book 8 is coming. It is known.

That does seem plausible now doesn't it? I wonder whose storylines are settled, (certainly Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Cersei, and Dany,) and whose aren't.

Obviously his own prophecies doom Myrcella, Tommen, Euron, and Aegon.

He may be making it up on the fly a bit for what happens to Davos and Rickon...does he know what he's gonna do with Sansa? Or Arianne? Or Jaime?

Though I'll admit I didn't really know who Theon was for most of Season 1.

He confused me too. Well, it was more that I had no idea what his relation to the family was. In the first episodes, I was sure he was another of Ned's sons and couldn't figure out why he wasn't introduced to king Robert with the rest of them. Then, I assumed he was a member of the household, like Ser Rodrick, or something.

King Tommen, no one's talked about Dany's recasting but Jennifer Ehle has talked about not coming back for GoT. She had just had a kid and didn't want to commit to it but she says she's read the books and now watches the show as a fan. I hope they get her involved somehow, though I'm glad Michelle Fairley played Cat because she did such an excellent job.

I haven't seen Jennifer Elhe in anything, though she does look more like my image of Catelyn than Michelle Fairley does. But Fairley did a great job so I can hardly complain.

He confused me too. Well, it was more that I had no idea what his relation to the family was. In the first episodes, I was sure he was another of Ned's sons and couldn't figure out why he wasn't introduced to king Robert with the rest of them. Then, I assumed he was a member of the household, like Ser Rodrick, or something.

D&D stated that they included the Tyrion/Theon scene in the following episode so that people understood what was up with Theon but even then, it flies by pretty quickly with all the other stuff in the episode and the info is not going to stick with everybody.

D&D stated that they included the Tyrion/Theon scene in the following episode so that people understood what was up with Theon but even then, it flies by pretty quickly with all the other stuff in the episode and the info is not going to stick with everybody.

Which is why they included the exposition about Theon's history again in his sex scene with Ros.

Yeah, for me it took until the scene where Bran is learning about house sigils to understand it.

I'm glad they basically confirmed it wont be Dragons vs Others in some epic final battle like a lot of people seem to hope for (that would be too much like a fairy tale). I think this basically means Dany wont have ANYTHING to do with the Others, Shes not Azor Ahai or anything like that(which was obvious I thought) and her main story will always revolve around the Iron Throne and Aegon the VI and the Dance of the Dragons. The Others will be resolved with the Wall storyline in some fashion.

I'm glad they basically confirmed it wont be Dragons vs Others in some epic final battle like a lot of people seem to hope for (that would be too much like a fairy tale). I think this basically means Dany wont have ANYTHING to do with the Others, Shes not Azor Ahai or anything like that(which was obvious I thought) and her main story will always revolve around the Iron Throne and Aegon the VI and the Dance of the Dragons. The Others will be resolved with the Wall storyline in some fashion.

I sincerely doubt that the Others will be wrapped up as an entirely separate plotline to the game of thrones. A dragon vs Others battle is the clear finale, but the twist imo will be that both sides are equally destructive.

Just because it's not good vs evil doesn't mean Dany and her dragons won't fight the Others. The show specifically foreshadows her going beyond the wall, and reuniting with Drogo and her son (i.e. dying). Why else would she die beyond the Wall if not fighting the Others? Saying it's not going to ever be about good vs evil also implies it isn't going to be the one true hero Jon Snow (AA?) against the Others. Which is a very common theory were the story is headed.

Midway through Book 2 I felt somewhat bitter about Theon - "Aw crap, you mean I should have been paying attention to this guy?!" But then again, I'm sure most of us feel that way about countless characters in both books and show.

Jennifer Ehle: excellent actress who vanishes into her roles - even if you know who she is, you often won't realize it's her until the credits roll. I first became a fan in the British mini-series The Camomile Lawn; she became moderately famous as the lead in Pride and Prejudice. More recently she's been in Contagion and The King's Speech - and, IMDb tells me, RoboCop, but I won't hold that against her.

Oh, there will be a dragons vs Others battle, the only thing is, that rather than it being a good vs evil battle, it shall be an evil vs worse evil war, where every Westerosian with a brain will wish for equal and mutually assured destruction of both sides, hopefully resulting in the end of magic, and a return of natural equilibrium.

Imho Daenerys is one of the major players in the story. It is the song of Fire and Ice and she totally represents the fire. She might die in the end, she might not be Azor Ahai, but she will play a vital role in the final battle with the Others, methinks.

'I'm not too worried. Also "We know there’s an end somewhere in the seven- or eight-season zone. It’s not something that goes ten, eleven—it doesn’t just keep on going because it can. I think the desire to milk more out of it is what would eventually kill it, if we gave in to that" means we could be getting 8 seasons (they're not married to 7), so people who were previously freaking out after the EW article saying it would definitely be 7 can relax a bit.

Do note that this interview predates the EW article, and that article was very clear in there being 7 seasons as the current plan.

Yeah, the Vanity Fair stuff was all done at the same time and they're basically mining that same material for website filler. The EW interview, with the very firm committment to 7 seasons, is much more current.

Actually, the EW interview is older than the Vanity Fair interview. Hibberd's interviews were during the production -- he cites his Dinklage interview as being in September while filming in Croatia, and I know his interview with D&D is "months" old -- while the Vanity Fair interviews were from January-February or thereabouts, and specifically notes that the Benioff-Weiss interview was conducted during post-production work in Hollywood. I know for a fact that George's photos and interview were in February, so I'm assuming the Benioff-Weiss interview is from around then as well.

If you want to construct a speculative chronology, it looks like during production indications to D&D were 7 seasons and done, but then when talking to Lombardo we see that executives "don't want to be greedy" but "seven or eight seasons" shows up... and in the months since, it's now seeming like "at least seven" or "seven- or eight-season zone" is starting to be more common.

Archived