Samwell Tarly Reread

Lummel

Marwyn and Sarella. Hmm. It is true that in the ADWD appendix Bloodraven is described as a dream walker. If Bloodraven was the three eyed crow (but wasn't he a bit surprised when Bran tried to link him to the crow?) then he walked into Bran's dreams but who else's? Marwyn would seem a interesting person to start thinking about if we were looking for candidates to have their dreams intruded upon!

Marwyn and Sarella. Hmm. It is true that in the ADWD appendix Bloodraven is described as a dream walker. If Bloodraven was the three eyed crow (but wasn't he a bit surprised when Bran tried to link him to the crow?) then he walked into Bran's dreams but who else's? Marwyn would seem a interesting person to start thinking about if we were looking for candidates to have their dreams intruded upon!

I have a theory that there are no prophetic dreams. I think all phrophetic dreams we read about are caused by an actor magically entering the subject's mind.

On Marwyn and dreams. In Samwell V, Marwyn says glass candles can be used to enter people's dreams. And in Samwell III, Aemon is already talking about "the Sphinx". And in Samwell V, Sarella says they have been watching Sam with the candle. So, I think that Marwyn and Sarella are pretending to be Egg, getting Aemon drunk and asking questions about Targaryen history and dragons.

On Bloodraven and dreams. I think Jon is a good candidate for someone who has been given dreams by Bloodraven. Especially when Ghost wasn't around.

I believe Euron may have also had his dream intruded by Bloodraven when he was a child, I remember he said

“When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,” he announced. “When I woke, I couldn’t . . . or so the maester said. But what if he lied?”

It seems really similar to Bran “It was just a lie,” he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. “I can’t fly. I can’t even run.”

Its also interesting that Euron is called the "Crow's eye"

And there is also Jojen, who said the three eyed crow visited him.

I believe Euron may have also had his dream intruded by Bloodraven when he was a child, I remember he said

“When I was a boy, I dreamt that I could fly,” he announced. “When I woke, I couldn’t . . . or so the maester said. But what if he lied?”

It seems really similar to Bran “It was just a lie,” he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. “I can’t fly. I can’t even run.”

Its also interesting that Euron is called the "Crow's eye"

And there is also Jojen, who said the three eyed crow visited him.

Wow, I never thought about that. You know, everyone makes a big deal about the dragon having three heads, but no one ever talks about how the crow has three eyes.

• 4 months later...

Nicknames

Sam and Grenn had an enlightening conversation about nicknames back at Craster's Keep in Sam II (SoS) and we had a bit of discussion on that topic. That seems to be revisited a bit here.

Grenn calls him "Sam" and not "Slayer" which fits with Sam's expressing a desire to be called his name rather than nickname despite Grenn's admiration of the way Sam came by his Slayer nickname. Sam also uses their names rather than nicknames but he still thinks of Grenn as Aurochs in his head. Grenn expressed to Sam that he'd be proud to be called an aurochs by Sam since it is a noble beast and Sam's intentions would be complimentary. Against this backdrop we have Jon's Lord Snow nickname becoming a reality as well. Lord Snow has lost its bite for the likes of Thorne and Slynt since it I his legitimate title now. For others "Lord Snow" has been a respectful nickname for some time. It has long since lost its Thorne-y bitterness for Jon but has resumed a bit of that bitterness for those who endured its forging with Jon.

Martin's nicknames are so good and plentiful we've had a couple of "favorite" threads dedicated to them. Interesting to see him openly explore their significance with Sam and Grenn. Side note: Grenn is a candidate for possible Dunk descendants. Dunk often compared himself to an aurochs and has similar thoughts to Grenn about being "thick." I mention it (aside from a point of interest) because Dunk gave himself the name Ser Duncan the Tall rather than "earning" it and would eventually inspire his namesake's nickname Duncan the Small. Dunk is the nickname Ser Arlan gave him and seems to be a more private thing-- actually Egg's musing that Dunk is short for Duncan is when Dunk adopts that name. There may be some fertile ground for exploring nickname connections buried in there.

About Grenn being one of Dunk's decendants and also the aurochs references.... Please read this theory you will not be disappointed. Do not be fooled by the title it is super relevant.

Archived