Rhaegar based on King David?

neddardtargaryen

I never made that connection, but I can see some similarities. I see more differences between them. David, by all accounts, was a cheerful guy, while Rhaegar might have had depression. David never expected to be king, Rhaegar was crown prince. David started a dynasty, Rhaegar ended one. Both played the harp and had eyes for another man's wife/betrothed, but it ended badly (though David still got a happy ever after). That said, I don't think Rhaegar is based on David.

Hm, between David and Paris Rhaegar reminds me more of David, mainly due to playing the harp, of course. Instead of a shepherd who is blessed by God, defends a fearsome warrior and goes on to be king, we get a bookloving crown prince who one day decides he must become a warrior, but we still get a transition from a peaceful child to a more warrior-like man in both cases. David was sucessful in removing Bathsheba's husband, but their first child was a stillborn as punishment for the murder of that innocent man. Wise king Salomo on the other hand was a later child of them, IIRC. Rhaegar was not sucessful in getting rid of Lyanna's fiance and instead got killed by him, so there was no need of godly punishment and Jon (assuming R+L=J is true) could live. So, should Jon not be dead due to assasination attempt or come back somehow, maybe he'll gain wisdom?

Psalms would be songs, which may or may not contain Ice and/or Fire...

There are so many loose historical/cultural/fictional connections it's hopeless to get any reliable predictions out of them.

Jon was taken out like Julius Ceasar, Robb and Catelyn in a recreation of The Black Dinner, Lannisters in the South and Starks in the South connect to the War of the Roses, Asha and Stannis' passover for their right to the thrones...

Then I think of Jaime Lannister losing his arm like Luke Skywalker, and I remember I need to check my crazy comparisons at the door unless they're a really good match, and remind myself that the hints in the book are more foretelling than anything I can come up with in comparison. There's just too many fictional and historical characters to not have similarities to a hand full of aSoIaF characters.

There are some similarities but I don't think Rhaegar was specifically based on King David. There are so many nods to so many things in this series, and we can be unconsciously influenced and inspired by things we don't even remember anymore.

My favorite comparison in the series is that Walder Frey is Lucy Van Pelt. He will always pull the football away.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, between David and Paris Rhaegar reminds me more of David, mainly due to playing the harp, of course. Instead of a shepherd who is blessed by God, defends a fearsome warrior and goes on to be king, we get a bookloving crown prince who one day decides he must become a warrior, but we still get a transition from a peaceful child to a more warrior-like man in both cases. David was sucessful in removing Bathsheba's husband, but their first child was a stillborn as punishment for the murder of that innocent man. Wise king Salomo on the other hand was a later child of them, IIRC. Rhaegar was not sucessful in getting rid of Lyanna's fiance and instead got killed by him, so there was no need of godly punishment and Jon (assuming R+L=J is true) could live. So, should Jon not be dead due to assasination attempt or come back somehow, maybe he'll gain wisdom?

Nitpick: David and Bathsheba's first baby was born healthy but became ill for 7 days before dying.

Edward burned his way thru France, and was disguted by the lower class, he was Gregor.

Yes, because he forced people to eat bits of themselves and raped women and killed babies himself and slaughtered people with reason.

Edward and his father helped create a new age of chivalry and was one of the first people to be a member of the Order of the Garter, echoing the ideals of King Arthur. Also after capturing John, king of France and Philip, his son, at the Battle of Poitiers; treated them with great respect, at one point giving John permission to return home, and prayed with King John at Canterbury Cathedral. He also allowed a day for preparations before the Battle of Poitiers so that the two sides could discuss the coming battle with one another.

Who on earth is David???

Do you mean in general or in ASoIaF? If the first, King David of Israel. Major figure in the Bible. Wrote the Psalms.

Actually the Targaryens were shepherds before they became dragon lords, now that I think of it. Course that doesn't make Rhaegar one.

Archived