As the other thread grew very very long, I thought I'd start it up again. Here's the original.
A few notes:
1. This is a not a Stannis vs Dany thread no matter what you think of either characters. They're both power-hungry burners. Take this discussion elsewhere.
2. This is not solely a "lets praise Dany" thread either, so criticisms are still welcome but I'd rather not veer into hate territory.
3. I must stress again that I personally do not consider Daenerys Targaryen a villain in any sense of that word, modern or classical. I consider her a flawed heroine with dark potential, otherwise known as "human.
So last time I thought the discussion might bring about people who are rooting for Daenerys' conquest of Westeros to be successful. Its often brought up by certain posters that Dany will stop being seeing positively at all once she gets there and starts fighting against characters we like. Well, to me, there's only three POVs I actually root for to be successful, Arya, Jon, and Sansa. Not that Dany couldn't go against them since she's currently ignorant to the real Stark side of the War of the Usurper, but they currently seem so disconnected from King's Landing that I don't take them into account.
In central Westeros, we have Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, the Tyrells, Martells, Greyjoys, Riverlands... Dany wants the Iron Throne, so I doubt she'll head north first.
What I am rooting for is Dany to take over and rid the Lannisters/Baratheons/Tyrells from power. Will it be deadly? Yes. Will it kill some characters I like? Probably. But I honestly want to see the dragons and Unsullied to just wreck havoc on this kingdom. It's not like these armies haven't done it to themselves already, and there's no one in south besides Sansa I enjoy. So, let Fire and Blood reign in Westeros again. That's what I want to see, and if this is villainous, then well, shucks, I'm rooting for the villain.
So maybe a few more questions to consider:
1. Do you support Dany's conquest of Westeros?
2. Why or why not is it villainous?
3. Are the noble families (not smallfolk) really worth your sympathy when they've already done what Dany's trying to do? (I don't include smallfolk because each faction has disregarded them as pawns, so they're all guilty of it)
EDIT/NOTE: I know the 163 slavers thing is what people love to jump on, but this is one of the things that I like that she did. They're Ghiscari. They're cartoon villains. No sympathy for slavers. The conversation is more about Westeros, not SB.
Edited by LordStoneheart, 26 March 2014 - 04:54 PM.