Is Aegon the rightful heir?

I believe Aegon Targaryen AKA Young Griff to be the rightful heir to the Iron throne and all others pretenders.

He is Rhaegar's first trueborn son, he was alive when Robert usurped the Iron Throne and is still alive. By Andal law he is the rightful heir to the throne. The only other person with any legitmate claim is Daenerys but only until she becomes aware of her nephews existance, if she refuses his claim then she becomes a traitor.

You can say that Robert is the rightful ruler based on conquest but does right by conquest really count? In the end it really is nothing more than stealing any way you slice it. You can say Aegon I conquered and so no Targaryen has any real right but he didnt steal the throne to a united kingdom, he united several kingdoms through conuquest and created an entierly new order which in the end was much better for the realm as a whole than having it broken down into seven constantly warring kingdoms, he brought peace (In general, it can be argued Westeros is a much more peacful place than it was when there were seven kingdoms.). Robert Baratheon did not, in fact he usurped the throne to the current order and then drove it into debt.

I really do not see any way around it, by law Aegon deserves the throne.

I believe Aegon Targaryen AKA Young Griff to be the rightful heir to the Iron throne and all others pretenders.

He is Rhaegar's first trueborn son, he was alive when Robert usurped the Iron Throne and is still alive. By Andal law he is the rightful heir to the throne. The only other person with any legitmate claim is Daenerys but only until she becomes aware of her nephews existance, if she refuses his claim then she becomes a traitor.

You can say that Robert is the rightful ruler based on conquest but does right by conquest really count? In the end it really is nothing more than stealing any way you slice it. You can say Aegon I conquered and so no Targaryen has any real right but he didnt steal the throne to a united kingdom, he united several kingdoms through conuquest and created an entierly new order which in the end was much better for the realm as a whole than having it broken down into seven constantly warring kingdoms, he brought peace (In general, it can be argued Westeros is a much more peacful place than it was when there were seven kingdoms.). Robert Baratheon did not, in fact he usurped the throne to the current order and then drove it into debt.

I really do not see any way around it, by law Aegon deserves the throne.

unless Aegon if (F) Aegon.

some people think either Varys/Illyrio is a blackfyre, thus Aegon Targaryen isn't really Aegon but a black pretender...

unless Aegon if (F) Aegon.

some people think either Varys/Illyrio is a blackfyre, thus Aegon Targaryen isn't really Aegon but a black pretender...

That is just conjecture, there is not one shred of evidence to support that theory that i know of. I have noticed that people like to come up with a lot of theories around here and that is cool but many of these theories seem to be based on nothing.

Based on our current knowledge and sources it is very clear that Aegon is the trueborn son of Rhaegar.

I agree. I think that Aegon is the real deal and he will reveal himself as the rightful heir. Though it's hard to tell.. how Dany will fit into all of this? Will they marry (to be King and Queen of Westeros) to keep the bloodline true and continue the Targaryen lineage?

“I admire your powers of persuasion,” Tyrion told Illyrio. “How did you convince the Golden Company to take up the cause of our sweet queen when they have spent so much of their history fighting against the Targaryens?”

Illyrio brushed away the objection as if it were a fly. “Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon. When Maelys the Monstrous died upon the Stepstones, it was the end of the male line of House Blackfyre.” The cheesemonger smiled through his forked beard. “And Daenerys will give the exiles what Bittersteel and the Blackfyres never could. She will take them home.”

This here seems to suggest that Illyrio was referring to the fact that even though the GC supported the Blackfyres they are all dead and now they have taken up cause with the next best thing, a Targaryen.

That is just conjecture, there is not one shred of evidence to support that theory that i know of. I have noticed that people like to come up with a lot of theories around here and that is cool but many of these theories seem to be based on nothing.

Based on our current knowledge and sources it is very clear that Aegon is the trueborn son of Rhaegar.

There is lots of evidence that supports it. No proof, nor any commanding evidence, but lots of suporting evidence none-the-less..

Some of that evidence is very weak, barely more than conjecture, but still supporting evidence.

Others of that evidence can also support Aegon is real, but still supports Aegon is false.

There is not one shred of evidence to support the theory that Aegon truly is Rhaegar's son that I know of. Everything goes back to "Varys said so."

Current knowledge? We know that Gregor claims to have killed Aegon. We know that Varys claims to have smuggled Aegon away and done a baby swap.

Sources? Varys? You really trust that guy? "Power resides where men believe it resides."

So no, it is not "very clear."

This here seems to suggest that Illyrio was referring to the fact that even though the GC supported the Blackfyres they are all dead and now they have taken up cause with the next best thing, a Targaryen.

This there seems to suggest that a female line survives. There is also the whole "Some contracts are writ in ink, some in blood." The contract with whichever free city was in ink, and the probably contract of the GC to put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne was probably writ in blood.

But to the question. If Aegon is a legitimate descendant of Daemon Blackfyre, then he is the rightful heir in my eyes. Daeron the Falseborn was, well, a falseborn, a bastard of the Dragonknight. Daemon was a legitimized son of Aegon IV and bore the sword.

" it was the end of the male line of House Blackfyre"

Gee I wonder why he bothered to make the distinction.He didn't say The Blackfyre line ended or it was the end of the Blackfyre line.

He said it was the end of the male side.Last I checked women can have kids also.

There is evidence of him being both fake and real and if he's real, he could be some kid with Valyrian features or a Blackfyre descendant.

The thing is that he's gonna be presented as Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar and there is no one who can prove he's not (there is no ADN testing in Westeros) because he has been raised to believe he is Aegon and he can pass any kind of test given to him right now by Westerosi lords (those who knew him as a baby are dead now). And yes, there are Dragons who can prove him real too, but I have my doubts as I think they would have reacted badly at Viserys.

Now, personally, I think he's the real thing but I only can wait for the next book to be proven right or wrong.

There is evidence of him being both fake and real and if he's real, he could be some kid with Valyrian features or a Blackfyre descendant.

The thing is that he's gonna be presented as Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar and there is no one who can prove he's not (there is no ADN testing in Westeros) because he has been raised to believe he is Aegon and he can pass any kind of test given to him right now by Westerosi lords (those who knew him as a baby are dead now). And yes, there are Dragons who can prove him real too, but I have my doubts as I think they would have reacted badly at Viserys.

Now, personally, I think he's the real thing but I only can wait for the next book to be proven right or wrong.

there is a westeros DNA test...

without going into detail it involves the seed in question, a silver chalice and a thirsty woods witch.

The evidence that Aegon is a fake is basically this:

1) Dany had a vision of a cloth dragon

2) The Golden Company supports him

3) Tyrion's first impression is that he's a fake

And so, very few readers think he's real......which makes me think that he may be.

In fact, what if Dany is the fake? Maybe that's the reason Viserys never valued her.

The evidence that Aegon is a fake is basically this:

1) Dany had a vision of a cloth dragon

2) The Golden Company supports him

3) Tyrion's first impression is that he's a fake

And so, very few readers think he's real......which makes me think that he may be.

In fact, what if Dany is the fake? Maybe that's the reason Viserys never valued her.

Dany is the Bastard of Dragonstone? who is her daddy?

wait I know since we have never seen Varys the Spider with his pants down it must be him! :lol:

" it was the end of the male line of House Blackfyre"

Gee I wonder why he bothered to make the distinction.He didn't say The Blackfyre line ended or it was the end of the Blackfyre line.

He said it was the end of the male side.Last I checked women can have kids also.

Because for the most part the male line is the only important one. 99% of the time the female line makes no difference, it is pointless to mention. Maybe the *female* line wasnt exstinguished but the male line was, was the female in question brought into that line through marrige or was the female in that line the original blood? If by marrige then it is pointless to mention.

Aegon is not a Targaryen.

However, he is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Because he is a Blackfyre and heir to the Blackfyre claim.

And Daeron and the junior Targaryen branch usurped the Throne from the rightful King, Daemon I Blackfyre.

Dany is the Bastard of Dragonstone? who is her daddy?

wait I know since we have never seen Varys the Spider with his pants down it must be him! :lol:

Dany didn't have a father; she was conceived by the metachloreans. :)

But, if I were going with a "Dany is a fake" crackpot theory, her parents could be anyone. Dany's earliest memories are of her Braavosi home. The real Dany could have been killed and Ser Williem Darry simply grabbed a silver-haired girl from Volantis and raised her as Dany. It would be remarkably easy. There was no one around would no the difference. Viserys going along with it would be the hardest part, but still completely within his interest.

Now, all of those visions and connections with dragons would go against the theory, but no crackpot theory is perfect.

There are some threads pointing towards Aegon not being the person Illyrio and Varys claim he is. I would especially look at Serra, Illyrio's Valyrian looking wife (deceased long ago), the fact that there were child clothes fitting a Essosi patrician for Tyrion to borrow (meaning a highborn child has at some point live in Illyrio's house) and finally Illyrio's weird attachment to Youn Griff. I think there are signs he's Illyrio's and Serra's son.

Archived