Varys and a certain ship (WoW Spoilers)

Good Guy Garlan

So, I and others have this theory that Arya is following Varys' footsteps. That is, his origins as an FM apprentice and a mummer. And the new chapter Mercy adds more fuel to this theory.

In aCoK, Varys tells Tyrion of how he got cut:

“I was an orphan boy apprenticed to a traveling folly. Our master owned a fat little cog and we sailed up and down the narrow sea performing in all the Free Cities and from time to time in Oldtown and King’s Landing."

A mummers troupe and a ship where they perform sounds suspiciously like Izembaro's first stage, the Ship

Here's how a peculiar feature of the Ship is discussed in the WoW chapter:

“Girls who start down that road wind up on the Ship, where every man in the pit knows he can have any pretty thing he might see up on the stage, if his purse is plump enough.”

So the Ship basically doubles as a theater as well as a brothel of sorts

And in Varys' tale:

“One day at Myr, a certain man came to our folly. After the performance, he made an offer for me that my master found too tempting to refuse. I was in terror. I feared the man meant to use me as I had heard men used small boys, but in truth the only part of me he had need of was my manhood."

Presumably, Izembaro (if he was indeed Varys' master) accepted this man's offer and well, the rest is history

So, I have two theories:

Either Izembaro was unaware of the man's true purpose and thought he was "only" going to rape Varys (even Varys himself thought that was his intention), with no ritual involved.

Or Izembaro and the FM realized Varys was no FM material (maybe he disobeyed the rules or was unwilling to forget his identity, like Arya has done) and the whole thing was planned. Maybe it was a way for the FM to dispose of Varys and get a profit at the same time. Maybe they didn't expect his will to live would be so strong. So maybe a similar fate expects poor Arya, especially after her latest transgression

Note: Granted, Arya says the Ship has been moored there in Braavos for the last 20 years, but Varys' story must have happened before that, since he was still a boy. So maybe before that the Ship did sail around places.

Perhaps the man knew that Varys had Targ blood/dragon blood/magical blood and could not use just any other boy. He could have found any boy but he paid and "exorbitant" amount for him. he knew he was a Targ. Maybe kin to him or something.

Perhaps the man knew that Varys had Targ blood/dragon blood/magical blood and could not use just any other boy. He could have found any boy but he paid and "exorbitant" amount for him. he knew he was a Targ. Maybe kin to him or something.

That's a possibility, since "there's power in king's blood". And maybe the FM would have been glad to see him go, considering their history with the dragonlords

That's a possibility, since "there's power in king's blood". And maybe the FM would have been glad to see him go, considering their history with the dragonlords

If that's true, I think the FM knew who Varys was, and they also know that Arya has some kind of importance (that we don't know yet)

If that's true, I think the FM knew who Varys was, and they also know that Arya has some kind of importance (that we don't know yet)

Arya seems more wiley than most. She may sense some kind of set up before it is too late.

I've long thought Varys had ties to the FM. This works perfectly.

The FM don't strike me as particularly vindictive about people leaving. Throughout Arya's training they have emphasized emotional detachment. For a group that deals in death they have a remarkably "live and let live" approach. They don't seem to go after villains. They only kill people they are hired to kill. There is seemingly no agenda. I think Arya can leave without any repercussions, provided she doesn't spill their secrets.

Izembaro isn't tied to the Ship. He was never it's master. Might be he performed there as a young boy or not, but if he owned the Ship, he wouldn't have set up a competition.

We really don't know that for sure. It could work either way, but even if he's not the master of the Ship, Varys was likely performing there, so the parallel remains

I've long thought Varys had ties to the FM. This works perfectly.

The FM don't strike me as particularly vindictive about people leaving. Throughout Arya's training they have emphasized emotional detachment. For a group that deals in death they have a remarkably "live and let live" approach. They don't seem to go after villains. They only kill people they are hired to kill. There is seemingly no agenda. I think Arya can leave without any repercussions, provided she doesn't spill their secrets.

I would agree on the FM. So far there has been zero evidence that they discipline their members with the treat of violence and absolutely none that they would kill somebody who left the order. I think Arya could go whenever she wants, but that if she stays until she takes her vows she'll have forgotten who she is and won't ever leave. The sample chapter makes it quite clear that she is still Arya of House Stark and that she has forgotten no one on her list. I expect her to retrieve Needle and part ways with FM. When she does, I don't expect the FM will care all that much as it will be clear that Arya could not make the sacrifice necessary to join the Faith.

I doubt that Varys has ties to the FM, but it is possible. I don't think the time-line would work. Still it might have been the owner of The Ship who sold Varys years before it settled into a dock at Braavos--if The Ship had been a floating theatre back when Aegon V and then Jaehaerys II sat the IT. But even if that was so, that owner was not Izembaro. The sample chapter does not connect him to The Ship, nor does it mention that he used to own it.

The Ship is just another nearby theatre company of ill-repute. It may be connected to Varys, but I doubt Izembaro is part of the story.

But even if that was so, that owner was not Izembaro. The sample chapter does not connect him to The Ship, nor does it mention that he used to own it.

The Ship is just another nearby theatre company of ill-repute. It may be connected to Varys, but I doubt Izembaro is part of the story.

Really because

The Ship was close by, still pulling handsome crowds to the quay where she had been moored for twenty years, he said, and the Gate would flourish too.

Sounds mighty like The Gate is his second playhouse venture to me...

I have a general sense that Arya is positioned to get us deeper and deeper into an understanding of at least the Varys conspiracy, and possibly also the LF conspiracy (LF was the one who ran up the debt to the IB and his family came from Braavos).

This theory is interesting. We'll see right? It is possible that the King of the Mummers is part of the Varys/Illyrio conspiracy, actively working with them also.

As for Arya, I really don't think she is in trouble for killing Raff. Every time she kills someone she seems to get promoted, regardless of whether she was assigned to kill or whether she took her own initiative. All that matters I think is that it is dispassionate and shows she has learned new skills. In this case, killing Raff, the way she did it, proves she has learned acting skills. The FM will promote her again.

Maybe Vary's balls cause all the magic in the world to come back. And, the man who did it is Marwyn so the grey sheep can pay for their destruction of the dragons.

I have a general sense that Arya is positioned to get us deeper and deeper into an understanding of at least the Varys conspiracy, and possibly also the LF conspiracy (LF was the one who ran up the debt to the IB and his family came from Braavos).

Does the Master of Coin own a share in the Iron Bank? Interesting that the two things named after Iron in this story are a bank in Braavos and the throne of Westeros.

well and also the Ironborn. Yikes. Scary thought there

I don't count the Ironborn. First they use a compound word, whereas the others are split. Second they have no concept of investment or of ruling. I think they just chose that name because they thought it sounded good. Sure beats The Clanking Reavers. ;)

Of course I could be wrong. Could be that Balon was really into the Braavosi mutual funds market and built up a healthy portfolio for Asha and Theon to inherit. He could even be an Iron Bank shareholder. Something to tide them over when the raiding is slow. What am I saying? They're more likely to rob the bank than put money in it.

Archived