What counsel would you give to Iron Throne's claimants?

death to all

No matter who you are, the road to rule goes through Dorne. If you are not from Dorne and you want the throne, figure them in your plans. That's one key. The Martell's are hungry for both revenge and regimes, and they can make great trouble for anyone they don't like. Baratheons, for example, may need to make peace somehow...but that will be tough, given the revenge factor.

Tommen:

- Your mom's feeling a bit sick lately. You should send her to Highgarden, maybe the weather down south would do her good. Send some guards to watch her. A lot of guards.

- Keep your kittens close

:rofl:

Robb

Assuming that I get to speak to him at the start of ACoK then I'd tell Robb not to let Theon go anywhere without him, and have Theon personally write the letter to Balon, the North might still get invaded (Balon is a loon afterall) but Winterfell wouldn't be attacked and Cat wouldn't release Jaime etc. I feel like I'm cheating by doing something so specific, but if I could I'd have him send a Karstark away and put someone else in his bodyguard, possibly a Frey (they're expendable) after he marries his Frey girl right there and then, the day he makes the deal. Jeyne Westerling can marry Edmure as part of the final peace treaty or something. In fact, generally spreading out the heirs of his bannermen can't be a bad move. And obviously don't put Roose in a position where he can play both sides, force him to work for you.

Stannis

Again assuming ACoK, I'd basically outline Tyrion's defence plan to him and let him know what a state KL was in. I can't remember right now how many of Renly's troops joined Stannis so I don't know if I'd want to advise him to attack KL first or deal with Renly first.

Also, to the OP, I love your screen name, as you can see, it's part of my sig as well

Aegon

Your Hand is looking a bit grey

Dany

I admire your idealism but if you really want to change Slaver's Bay/Essosi slave culture in general, then you need to give up on Westeros. You can't have both.

I wouldn't invite them to the meeting at all -- why would I?? At the point where Ned confronts Cersei, hadn't Jaime already fled the city after attacking him in front of LF's brothel?

Gah! I forgot he fled the city. I guess what I should have said was, the Red Keep is still infested with Lannister guards, servants, spies. Stowing CErsei and her kids on a boat wouldn't be easy.

It's not all about YOU. Think of other people. Being king does NOT mean "I can do whatever I want."

If you mean Joffrey, then yes he could stand to empathize more with others. If you mean the other claimants, they are all campaigning for the sake of others not just themselves?

Renly: Accept Stannis's offer to make you his heir..

Robb: Great Jon is a cool guy. But consider for a second if he is the best guy to take political advise from. It's not like you need to make decision that night. You, at the very least, know you're fighting the Lannisters.

Dany: Sack the Slaver's Bay cities. Move on. Changing thousands of years of culture is not an easy thing. If it really means that much to you, come back AFTER you take the Iron Throne and can build a proper army/occupying force.

Renly: I don't like him, but he would have benefited faaaar more if he lets Stannis be king, then have his Tyrell friends poison him later. There are so many things he could do that he could've avoided accusations of kinslaying and kingslaying. And avoid potential heirs from repeating the example.

Robb: agree

Dany: Interesting you should say that. Her sacking the cities are exactly the problem I have with her. Remember the thread is about alleviating/preventing issues plaguing the rulers, not making them worse.

No matter who you are, the road to rule goes through Dorne. If you are not from Dorne and you want the throne, figure them in your plans. That's one key. The Martell's are hungry for both revenge and regimes, and they can make great trouble for anyone they don't like. Baratheons, for example, may need to make peace somehow...but that will be tough, given the revenge factor.

Dorne is a must, but given Stannis's being a Baratheon, I'd bet Doran would think he is complicit with Robert, Tywin and the rape and death of Elia. I always thought if they met before Elia's rape/death they might actually be fond of one another's company.

Stannis

Again assuming ACoK, I'd basically outline Tyrion's defence plan to him and let him know what a state KL was in. I can't remember right now how many of Renly's troops joined Stannis so I don't know if I'd want to advise him to attack KL first or deal with Renly first.

Also, to the OP, I love your screen name, as you can see, it's part of my sig as well

Dany

I admire your idealism but if you really want to change Slaver's Bay/Essosi slave culture in general, then you need to give up on Westeros. You can't have both.

Stannis: I think that is too specific. We only know Tyrion's planning a defence. Being the former Master of Ships, he would certainly already know of the Royal Fleets strength. If Stannis had informants at King's Landing I doubt they could get out alive to tell him of chains and wildfire.

Thanks, Queen and Shireen is like a perfect combination.

Dany: agree. She should choose one or the other and follow through.

Renly: I don't like him, but he would have benefited faaaar more if he lets Stannis be king, then have his Tyrell friends poison him later. There are so many things he could do that he could've avoided accusations of kinslaying and kingslaying. And avoid potential heirs from repeating the example.

Robb: agree

Dany: Interesting you should say that. Her sacking the cities are exactly the problem I have with her. Remember the thread is about alleviating/preventing issues plaguing the rulers, not making them worse.

Renly: I hate him too. But I was trying to give the best advice possible.

Dany: I'm not looking through a moral standpoint. But sacking the cities would help fund her way west. I consider her biggest problem is letting herself getting bogged down. She would have been better off without lying to herself and *pretending she cared about ending slavery.

*I am sure others believe she really does care about ending slavery. However, there are many, many Threads to argue that. I am simply giving context to my reasoning, not trying to derail the Thread.

Also, I agree with the above poster. I love your name.

Renly: Dude....knock it off

Stannis: dude... Chill man, we get it. You are the rightful heir. Stop being a little whiner and grow up.

Joffrey: you a mommas boy you inbred twerp

Tommen: Beats send their regards.....

Balon: slink back to the savage isles, you backwater two-bit raider.

Euron: nothing because he scares the shit out of me

fAegon: Sooooo, Aegon, if that is your real name. How qualified are you exactly?

Daenerys: Stop wallowing in self pity, get your ass to Westeros. Stop talking about your right to the IT, you have none. Grow up, and learn from your plethora of mistakes. And when you torture someone, be sure they are guilty or actually know something.

Jon: Grow up, and treat your men better.

Robb: KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS! DONT TRUST THE BOLTONS OR FREYS! JUST GO BACK NORTH AND TRADE JAIME FOR SANSA AND JUST LEAVE!

My advice to the current claimants/holders would be as follows:

Aegon: Dismiss Jon Connington as hand of the King and appoint Harry Strickland or Illyrio Mopathis to the position. Do what you can to relate to the people of Westeros and give them incentives that will make them support you. If Danaerys comes with her dragons and army, abdicate your claim or offer yourself up as your heir since she can't have children anyway. Appoint more members in your Kingsguard.

Daenerys: Go away from Khal Jhaqo and return to Yunkai and burn it to ashes don't forget to kill all people from Yunkai. Make alliance with Victarrion. Abandon Mereen and assemble your army and people and go to Westeros. Once you arrived in Westeros make an alliance with someone called Aegon Targaryen, contest with his claim only if both of you won the war.

Euron: Assure that you have a backup plan if Victarion betrays you. If not, then make sure that you have the support of the people that you will conquer in the Reach as the Ironborn are very likely to betray you once the truth comes out. It would be also a good idea to bribe certain Lords of Westeros and make sure to make plans to conquer the Westerlands.

Stannis: Make sure that you have a capable successor just in case you die. I would recommend adopting Davos Seaworth as your son and making him your successor, though he would have to change his name to Baratheon. If you won the battle of Ice, you can give Winterfell and the title of Lord Paramount of the North to the Karstarks since they are only relatives of the Starks that still lives in the north, though they would have to remove the Kar in their surname and revert to the Direwolf as their banner.

Tommen: Appoint Mace Tyrell as your regent and Randyll Tarly as your hand. Train yourself in different forms of fighting and dedicate yourself to your studies. Make sure that you learn how your parents made you and do it with Margaery as soon as possible as you might lose this war. Make sure that you have an appearance in all battles near Kings Landing to inspire your soldiers, and send your mother to Casterly Rock.

My advice to the current claimants/holders would be as follows:

Aegon: Dismiss Jon Connington as hand of the King and appoint Harry Strickland or Illyrio Mopathis to the position. Do what you can to relate to the people of Westeros and give them incentives that will make them support you. If Danaerys comes with her dragons and army, abdicate your claim or offer yourself up as your heir since she can't have children anyway. Appoint more members in your Kingsguard.

Daenerys: Go away from Khal Jhaqo and return to Yunkai and burn it to ashes don't forget to kill all people from Yunkai. Make alliance with Victarrion. Abandon Mereen and assemble your army and people and go to Westeros. Once you arrived in Westeros make an alliance with someone called Aegon Targaryen, contest with his claim only if both of you won the war.

Euron: Assure that you have a backup plan if Victarion betrays you. If not, then make sure that you have the support of the people that you will conquer in the Reach as the Ironborn are very likely to betray you once the truth comes out. It would be also a good idea to bribe certain Lords of Westeros and make sure to make plans to conquer the Westerlands.

Stannis: Make sure that you have a capable successor just in case you die. I would recommend adopting Davos Seaworth as your son and making him your successor, though he would have to change his name to Baratheon. If you won the battle of Ice, you can give Winterfell and the title of Lord Paramount of the North to the Karstarks since they are only relatives of the Starks that still lives in the north, though they would have to remove the Kar in their surname and revert to the Direwolf as their banner.

Tommen: Appoint Mace Tyrell as your regent and Randyll Tarly as your hand. Train yourself in different forms of fighting and dedicate yourself to your studies. Make sure that you learn how your parents made you and do it with Margaery as soon as possible as you might lose this war. Make sure that you have an appearance in all battles near Kings Landing to inspire your soldiers, and send your mother to Casterly Rock.

As for Stannis, he does have an heir. Though making sure she is capable should certainly be a priority as should be naming Davos her regent.

As for the North....

The WoW spoiler chapter has Stannis learning of the Karstarks' betrayal. So, that's a no about giving the Winterfell. JArya or Rickon are the best bets.

To Stannis: stop trying to be the hall monitor of the world, your bro was cooler than you. He was cooler than everybody else too, get over it. NUANCE, its a gray world, you are living it like its black & white.

To Dany: you cant heal the world with tantrums and rash decisions. Make a decision about Daario then let him know. And make your Dothraki get on the fuking boats.

To Aegon: i guess just keep doing what ur doing, youve been groomed for this since birth. No turning back now.

Robb: When you get the news that Ned is been jailed send a raven to the Wall and get your brother home right now! Send another raven to Manderly have him commandeer every merchant ship that he can. Send a raven to Umber and Glover they are to start to cut timber for ships. Send a raven to Pyke written in Theon's own hand and wording that for the use of his ship and the joint effort of attacking Lannisport and Casterly Rock, Sansa will marry his heir after the war effort, Theon will receive his freedom after the war effort, Robb will marry his daughter mean while he will foster Rickon on Pyke. Send a raven to Dorne and ask that for them doing nothing but raising their banners but doing nothing they can marry Arya Stark after the war effort mean while fostering Rickon Stark. Send word to the Twins that in exchange for their help in the war effort he will arrange the lands for 3 of his male heirs and make them lords in their own rights of the North. When Robb's armies pass through along with talking to his grandfather into agreeing to having Edmure a daughter of his choosing after the war efforts. While Robb's waiting for those replies, I'd send a 5,000 men through White Harbor down to Riverrun to create a barricade around the castle and also stiffen the garrison in side of the castle. Meanwhile I would hope that I have gather the good will of House Greyjoy through marriage, the new seat of Casterly Rock and it's famed golden which they would have paid the iron price. Like Tyrion said a good lord never lets revenge get in the way of ambition. Dorne get's to be cautious while also gathering the good will of the north. While also showing a sign of trust by allowing Bran to be foster while war in going on. The same applies to Greyjoy. When we receive news that Ned is dead but that Stannis and Renly have both claimed the crown for themselves. Well as I'm in open rebellion against a Lannister Regime I'm not going to stay loyal to them especially after they just beheaded Robb's father's head. So I would advise sending both kings an invitation to join him in rebellion against the Lannister and friendship to both kings. I would advise after the blood had a chance to cool I would advise taking off the crown. Meanwhile send Jon to King's Landing with Cleo Frey under peace banner, as the bastard and Imp have a friendship maybe some of my terms would be met. Hopefully by this time my forces in the West have taken Casterly Rock and Lannisport in the rear, while Robb's calvary are taking them in the front. Meanwhile his archers are holding at the Gold Tooth, as his foot is holding the Riverlands stiffened by Riverland troops and arms. The Kraken and Direwolf are tying the Lions tail in knots in the West, giving them hell in the Riverlands and hopeful the Stag is taking the Lion in the front and back at Kings Landing. That's the end of the Lannisters, Joffery, Tywin, Tyrion, Cersi and the whole lot. As I've acted first with the Dornish that should prevent the Lannister and Martell match. While I can't prevent the Tyrell match but as Tywin is split on what's more import that city or the West where the enemy is living off his lands and herds is forced to choose. I would ask that he leave the blackfish in charge of Riverrun and send Edmure to Walder Frey to choose is bride. Hopefully Jon would get back west in time to do some scouting and pillaging in the westerlands maybe even help in some sieges. Arya should thrive in the less constraining dornish environment, Sansa might hate the Iron Isles but as (future)Lady of Casterly Rock that should more than make up for it.

Aegon: First step after you've taken Storm's End, send a raven to Dorne asking their friendship and explain why you've been away. Ask for their help. While promising that Tystan will be his heir until he has a son of his own and in that case he will be named lord of Dragonstone with the title passing to the eldest child of his line. Either way Dragonstone is Tysten. Send a raven to Euron Greyjoy extending your hand of friendship one king to another offer for his help Casterly Rock and their ancient seat Harrenhal and the title warden of the Trident. Ask that they commandeer any and all ships that they can to start a blockaide around Lannisport and Casterly Rock, send men to the Rose road to start stealing from the merchants and travels. Do them no harm but take all goods. Extend an olive branch to the Arbor in exchange for their help one of his sons will be named lord of Storm's End. In a stroke I've taken Tysten's line an made them peers of the realm and as a third child that's not a bad deal the same with the Redwyne twins it might have been mayhem when their father died and one became lord and the other... So that takes care of that problem not to mention that places them in the Kings good graces also their fortunes and rise depend on the King becoming king and staying king. Since the Tyrells and Lannisters are at each other's throat i'd send a spy to the city with the message that if the little queen comes through that Aegon will marry her once Tommen is dead and the throne is his. I think that's not a bad first step.

Robb: As soon as you're crowned, head back to Winterfell. Marry a Frey girl of your choice, and consolidate your power behind the walls of Winterfell. Leave The Blackfish in command of the Riverlands forces sworn to Robb (Edmure could still be Lord Paramount). If Karstark still wants vengeance he can still lead a force into the West. Head North Robb, and keep the Greatjon close and Roose Bolton closer. Forget the Iron Throne, get yourself North of the Neck ASAP.

Stannis: Nobody wants you for their king. However, if you still insist on pressing your claim, make Davos your Lord of Ships for the invasion of KL. Davos was the only one of your captains who sniffed out the trap.

Dany: Once you have the Unsullied, hang out in Astapor and lt your Dragons grow.

Balon: Ally with Robb against the Lannisters.

Renly: Stop with the feasts and tourneys. Strike fast and strike hard.

Robert- Drinking and hunting doesn't mix.

Joffery- Send Ned Stark to the Wall, treat Sansa better, and listen to Uncle Tyrion.

Tommen- Send your mother back to Casterly Rock and find someone competent as a regent and hand. Find someone to teach you how to fight, the gods know you're going to need it. As soon as you hit puberty, start making babies with Margaery. Westrosi politics is a dangerous game and you're going to need heirs to continue your dynasty. Don't do like your "father" did and die without any legitimate children.

Robb- Marry Roslin Frey either at the twins or after you break the Seige of Riverrun. This will cement the Freys to your cause and prevent you from doing something stupid like marrying some random noble girl from the west. Send a letter to Balon Greyjoy saying you'll recognize him as an independent king,allow him to keep the west if he will help conquer it, and release his son and heir after the war is won. Also keep a close eye on Roose Bolton and don't give him anymore power than absolutely necessary.

Renly- Take your brother up on his offer and make sure he dies before he sires a male heir.

Stannis- After you remove Renly from the picture, march directly to King's Landing. If you're fast enough you should be able to take the city with relative ease because the Lannisters won't have time to finish their defenses. For the battle, put Davos Seaworth in command of the fleet, Imry Florent is a fool. In general, be a little more diplomatic. You will win more allies with sugar than vinegar

Balon- There is nothing worth conquering in the North. Take Robb's offer and attack the West

Dany- Make up your mind. If you want the Iron Throne, burn the slaver cities to the ground, make an alliance with Victarion and get to Westros. If you want to end slavery, forget about Westros and commit to ruling Slaver's Bay. It will probably take your lifetime, and possibly your children's and grandchildren's lifetimes, to change the culture of Slaver's Bay.

Aegon- I don't know what your plan is, for your sake I hope you have one. All I can say is secure the Stormlands and marry Arianne Martell to get Dorne on your side.

Euron- Go fall on your sword.

Ned- Bribe the gold cloaks yourself, yes I know it's distasteful but you are going to have to bend your honor to get out of King's Landing alive, and have them arrest Cersei after she confesses to you in the godswood. Secure her children and send Joffery and Tommen with Yoren to the Wall in the morning. Find someplace safe and far away to send Mrycella and send men after Jaime. When Robert returns, tell him what you found out and help Renly convince him to marry Margaery Tyrell.

Eh?

Illyrio: “Are your Seven Kingdoms so different? There is no peace in Westeros, no justice, no faith … and soon enough, no food. When men are starving and sick of fear, they look for a savior.”

to Robb: Garrison Winterfell. Keep Theon & Bolton close. Appoint GreatJon as commander of your foot. Send Mallister as envoy to the Iron Islands. Give Edmure more to work with than 'Hold Riverrun'.

To Stannis: Abandon Mel and the Red God religion for obvious reasons. Seek alliance with the Vale in offering Shireen, its a long shot but trying is better than nothing. Also respect the wildlings and Northmens beliefs and slowly integrate them into your army and work on building another fleet. Seek out Edric, bring him back and marry him to Shireen, thus securing House Baratheons future and in a way making peace with Robert and how he dishonored you on your wedding night.

To Dany: Abandon this idea that you have to liberate the slaves of Slavers Bay because its not helping you get any closer to Westeros, leave and take with you your most capable soldiers.

To Victarion: Defeat the Yunkai army then marry Dany and help her get back to Westeros, when there present yourself as the lesser evil Ironborn to Westeros (Dany would vouch for you) go and defeat Euron which shouldnt be hard with dragons then raise Damphair to lordship over the Iron Islans and take the throne and create a new House- Targareyn-Greyjoy.

Archived