How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

Personally i consider him on the Garlan, Sandor level. I.e. one of the best fighters right now. Prior to his exile he was already a great fighter having fought so well at Pyke that Robert himself knighted him. Then he goes to Essos and has been making his living as a mercenary. Considering the Dothraki value strength above all and Khal Drogo seemed to have respect for him i'd say he's pretty good and he did kill one of his bloodriders. So where would you put him against the best in Westeros?

Personally i consider him on the Garlan, Sandor level. I.e. one of the best fighters right now. Prior to his exile he was already a great fighter having fought so well at Pyke that Robert himself knighted him. Then he goes to Essos and has been making his living as a mercenary. Considering the Dothraki value strength above all and Khal Drogo seemed to have respect for him i'd say he's pretty good and he did kill one of his bloodriders. So where would you put him against the best in Westeros?

I only seen him fight dothraki, and dothraki are easy to beat with armor. Hell their easy beat period. Their weapons and equipmen is piss poor. Until Jorah faces another knight or seasoned sellsword I would not rate him to high.

Good, worthy in battle, strong blood and heavy sword...but he's not quite the best out there. I'd put money on Barriston for starters. Still, a Mormont, any of them, is not to be laughed at nor trifled with.

In the bloodrider fight he very almost lost, if it hadn't been for the arakh lodging

in his hip he'd have been toast.

The tournament says nothing for his skill with a weapon, more for his luck on that day (Barristan says as much) and horsemanship.

And at Pyke he was knighted more for bravery than skill.

So I'd have to put him at average, maybe topping it slightly due to his size and strength. But Garlan Sandor level? Please.

I only seen him fight dothraki, and dothraki are easy to beat with armor. Hell their easy beat period. Their weapons and equipmen is piss poor. Until Jorah faces another knight or seasoned sellsword I would not rate him to high.

I also want to see him fight someone seasoned and well renowned to get some comparison. But it's not like Dothraki can be beaten by just anyone wearing armor though...

In the bloodrider fight he very almost lost, if it hadn't been for the arakh lodging

in his hip he'd have been toast.

The tournament says nothing for his skill with a weapon, more for his luck on that day (Barristan says as much) and horsemanship.

And at Pyke he was knighted more for bravery than skill.

So I'd have to put him at average, maybe topping it slightly due to his size and strength. But Garlan Sandor level? Please.

Just to give an example who else would you say counts as an 'average' fighter?

Just to give an example who else would you say counts as an 'average' fighter?

Anyone who's not really given us an example of skill really, just your smack bang in the middle average knight.

Problem is with this series, most characters are either at the top end of highborn and their skill is pretty irrelevant or are men who are brought to our attention through fighting.

Jorah would have died if the arakh didnt get stuck in his hip. He definitely isnt close to being anywhere near Garlan or Sandors level or any of the top swordsmen in Westeros. Hes average.

I think Jorah is probably one of the smarter warriors, as far as assessment of situations go and has strong abilities to match this. He has obviously seen much combat in his life and lived, so that tells you much. I wouldn't rate him in the tradition of Dayne, Selmy, Ned, or Jaime. More on the level of Bronn or the Clegane boys.

Archived