How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

Jorah is fairly average for a knight, I'd say. Maybe a little better on horseback, seeing how he won that tournament (though it could just have been his lucky day).

If I were to compare him to anyone, it would be that Serry knight Vic dispatches. Competent and brave enough, but nothing spectacular.

Jorah is fairly average for a knight, I'd say. Maybe a little better on horseback, seeing how he won that tournament (though it could just have been his lucky day).

If I were to compare him to anyone, it would be that Serry knight Vic dispatches. Competent and brave enough, but nothing spectacular.

I would say Serry was pretty badass. He only lost because no one can reach the level of badass Vic is at.

A competent fighter, above average... but not stellar, he can't compare to the better fighters out there. Better than Ned, possibly along the lines of Jon Snow, worse than Mance Rayder, not comparable to Loras Tyrell, Sandor Clegane, Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy etc. That said, he won't immediately lose to any of them.

A competent fighter, above average... but not stellar, he can't compare to the better fighters out there. Better than Ned, possibly along the lines of Jon Snow, worse than Mance Rayder, not comparable to Loras Tyrell, Sandor Clegane, Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy etc. That said, he won't immediately lose to any of them.

So why is Jorah worse than Mance? Mance who bested a couple of wildlings with shit for weapons and training and used a glamour to kick Jon Snows ass. Who couldn't breach the Wall despite several advantages he had. Who got beaten by Stannis even with having 20 times his numbers, wargs, mammoths and giants.

Jorah who was knighted by King Robert for his fighting in the Greyjoy Rebellion (who himself was a somewhat legendary fighter), won the Tourney at Lannisport, has survived for years as a mercenary in Essos fighting people with many different styles such as Bravos and Dothraki bloodriders, got to ride with Drogo's khalasar, immediately became a part of the war counsel of the Second Sons after joining and played key roles in victories at both Yunkai and Meereen.

I think Jon Snow's pretty good and a prodigy but Jorah is far above him.

And what are Loras' achievements compared to Jorah?

So why is Jorah worse than Mance? Mance who bested a couple of wildlings with shit for weapons and training and used a glamour to kick Jon Snows ass. Who couldn't breach the Wall despite several advantages he had. Who got beaten by Stannis even with having 20 times his numbers, wargs, mammoths and giants.

Jorah who was knighted by King Robert for his fighting in the Greyjoy Rebellion (who himself was a somewhat legendary fighter), won the Tourney at Lannisport, has survived for years as a mercenary in Essos fighting people with many different styles such as Bravos and Dothraki bloodriders, got to ride with Drogo's khalasar, immediately became a part of the war counsel of the Second Sons after joining and played key roles in victories at both Yunkai and Meereen.

Mance has fought top class wildling chieftains who, similar to Mangar, bore weapons and armor.

Most of the styles of the Essosi are piss poor against armored men. War Council? Jorah fought with them yet. As of he is just Tyrion's spare Bronn, though not as good as Bronn. He only seen hin fight dothraki.

Jon Snow has only faced servant wildlings, not chieftains with years of NW battling history Mance faced.

Loras faced knights, Jorah faced dothraki, huge difference in class.

Mance bested the best of the wildings, the Magnar himself three times (who is no push over). He'd have beaten Jon regardless.

He makes it clear to Jon that he could be behind the Wall easily, he doesn't want the Watch to kill more of his people (given the losses they've suffered by the Others). Stannis is a contender for the best commander in recent memory, and he had the element of surprise. And none of this is really relevant to a Mance vs. Jorah duel.

Mance has fought top class wildling chieftains who, similar to Mangar, bore weapons and armor.

Most of the styles of the Essosi are piss poor against armored men. War Council? Jorah fought with them yet. As of he is just Tyrion's spare Bronn, though not as good as Bronn. He only seen hin fight dothraki.

Jon Snow has only faced servant wildlings, not chieftains with years of NW battling history Mance faced.

Loras faced knights, Jorah faced dothraki, huge difference in class.

You haven't read the Tyrion chapter that was put on the app. Wildlings don't have very good armor or weapons. The Magnar of Thenn is the best equipped and even he uses bronze which is inferior to steel. Jorah faced Bravos, Dothraki and other sellswords a lot of whom would be westerosi exiles. And he fought ironborn who are heavily armoured though and fierce fighters

I would say Serry was pretty badass. He only lost because no one can reach the level of badass Vic is at.

Yep every time I read about a guy who disarms himself for almost no reason, I think: Badass.

He survived the Battle of the Trident, where Selmy nearly died and Darry did?

The KG would have been defending the king, been right at the centre of the action and be leading charges. With their white armour they'd be targeted by every knight for miles who wanted to make a name for himself. Jorah was just one knight among many.

In the dream at the TOJ, the KG spoke quite confidently about beating Robert, meaning the man and his army. This representation of the KG are badasses, Selmy cutting a swath through the Golden Company ending the War of the Ninepenny Kings? These guys beat armies when they go into battle, yet Ned Stark showed up with only six guys and going against arguably, the very best of them in Dayne?

Ned and his compatriots outnumbered them 7 to 3, and still Ned was almost killed by Dayne if it hadn't been for Howlands assistance (up for debate whether this was magic or a net or whatever.) Numbers matter in fights, and being outnumbered more than 2 to 1 is not good odds at all.

Yeah, I think Ned killed Darry and injured Selmy at the Trident, where Robert was so injured he couldn't continue to KL,

There is no evidence at all for this. If Ned had killed Darry and injured Barristan on top of walking away from the fight at ToJ, we'd have heard about it, if not from Ned than at least from Barristan. And Robert took his injuries fighting Rhaegar, suggesting he was past all Rhaegars bodyguards.

Ned who was holding his own just fine against Jaime Lannister before being stabbed in the leg, from behind. Ned was one BAMF!

Show not book.

Ned's strength was as a commander. From the SSM:

December 15, 2000

About Benjen Stark

I was wondering if you would comment on Benjen Stark's fighting ability. Is he on a level with Brandon, or is he more like Ned?

Depends on the kind of fight you had in mind.

Brandon was the best of the Starks with sword in hand, and the best jouster as well. But Benjen has other skills that serve him well as a ranger... and Ned was likely the best battle commander.

Which can be found here.

I would say the fact that he survived in Essos for so long selling his sword, fighting and killing Dothraki (even if he only defeated that Bloodrider only by the skin of his teeth) speaks well to his abilities. While certainly not amongst the best, Jorah is a tough, resourceful swordsman. He probably isn't good at much else in his life, but the man can clearly fight. He's certainly much better than the average Westerosi knight, who probably doesn't see combat with the same frequency as Jorah has in his life.

I would rank Jorah with Bronn.

Mance for all intents and purposes has show himself to be a very skilled fighter, and he has a reputation to back it up. He's not one of the absolute best in the kingdom, as some like to claim, but he's probably very good, and I don't see Jorah someone with the same reputation or feats, even if he is a massive badass in his own right.

Mance bested all the wildling chiefs it seems (or most of them at least), and even though the wildlings lack proper training and discipline, which makes the underachievers in large forces, they are still adequate individual fighters. Also, the chiefs likely have among the best weapons their clans/tribes/peoples could come up with, like Tormunds black ringmail, or Rattleshirts fine axe.

As for him beating Jon with a glamour: he would've beaten even without it I wager, though not as royally as he did.

And how does losing to Stannis in a battle prove that he is a worse fighter than Mormont?

Mormont was knighted because he was first to enter Pyke, showing bravery, not fighting skills. And I seem to recall that the Tourney at Lannisport was an anomaly for him, something he never managed to repeat. And while he certainly is experienced, and has fought many different styles, I haven't heard anything about him being extremely skilled because of it. Also, being in a war council is often due to tactical and strategic expertise and general knowledge (or political influence), rather than direct fighting prowess. Inkpots sit in council as well, and I don't see him as a fearsome fighter. Same with Tyrion.

I wouldn't say he's far above Jon Snow. A little mayhaps, due to experience and Jon being young.

Unhorsing the Kingslayer and the Mountain that Rides, coming second in Renly's melee, fighting valiantly at the Blackwater, taking Dragonstone, and generally being hailed as a second Jaime Lannister.

Jorah's been a mercenary, and though we seen him mainly fighting that one Dothraki, he's clearly fought many other people too, and lived through it all. He won a tourney against some pretty dangerous fellows, but while it can also be considered a one-off, he did win. The guy's got the inner badass he can activate when it counts. (And I hope we get to see that come out in TWOW.)

I would consider him very dangerous, but not in the legendary league of Arthur Dayne, Barristan (in his prime), King Robert (in his prime), Khal Drogo, Jaime Lannister, and so on.

I'd put Jorah alongside someone like Bronn, Lyn Corbray, Victarion Greyjoy, the Blackfish. He could perhaps equate to Kingsguard members Mandon Moore, Balon Swann, or Arys Oakheart (or Brienne ?).

He is certainly better then Jon, Robb and Eddard. I think he is probably on par with Loras or Gregor but not two-handed Jaime or younger Barristan.

Wooooo! Eddard was a fantastic warrior. He took care of those Lannister Guardsmen and went toe to toe with a healthy and arrogant Ser Jaime Lannister.

Balon Greyjoy and Roose Bolton didn't get gully until after Eddard and Robert were gone.

http://youtu.be/7L8ByreRfUo

Ser Jorah is above average but Daario, and others could have easily slain him.

Archived