Rhaegar fighting Robert

Stormland's Fury

Very few soldiers in Westoros use anything besides the sword and lance. Just seems to be the way things work.

Also, Robert can't have been too badly injured at the Trident. As mentioned he sent his personal maester to see to Barristan. His sending Ned on to King's Landing with only his Northern cavalry was about getting there as fast as possible.

That was Ned being pissed at Robert, not the other way around. I would think if Robert was able, nothing could have stopped him from finding Lyanna.

You wondered why Ned didn't bring Bobby for that is the reason why, and remember, Ned went to find Lyanna after freeing up Stannis, he did not go back to bring Robert along.

This a pointless argument. Rhaegar injured Robert on the Trident, that's the point. How bad is not in the book. But it certainly dispels the alternate version of the story some seem to remember, where Robert ended the fight before it began.

Robert had an entire year of fighting wear and tear upon his body.

Rhaegar had extensively worked his pelvic thrust in the same time frame.

I'd wager had both been fresh, Robert would've blown him away decisively. Just a beast in battle.

He nearly slew a decent warrior in Jon Conn while wounded, and with a sword, his secondary weapon.

You don't get that skill merely in training. Its a gift.

Prime Robert i give the edge to against any warrior of the day.

I actually forgot that Rhaeggy managed to wound Bobby when they were duking it out.

In retrospect it is also possible that Rhaegar was expected to lead the troops against the usurper and Robert simply sought him out on the battlefield for personal reasons.

Robert had an entire year of fighting wear and tear upon his body.

Rhaegar had extensively worked his pelvic thrust in the same time frame.

I'd wager had both been fresh, Robert would've blown him away decisively. Just a beast in battle.

He nearly slew a decent warrior in Jon Conn while wounded, and with a sword, his secondary weapon.

You don't get that skill merely in training. Its a gift.

Prime Robert i give the edge to against any warrior of the day.

You can Marq Grafton, Lord Fell, and Myles Mooton to the list. Of course we don't know their skill set. But I agree with this. Rhaegar was fresh, Robert was not. That's not to say that Rhaegar isn't skilled. I do think he was talented, but as Barristan said, he never really loved the song of swords. Guys like Barristan, Robert, and Jaime feel more alive in battle.

Doesn't change the fact that let it be any man aside from Greg Clegane, Robert's got the edge imo.

Barristan, Arthur, Jaime, Garlan, Loras etc.

Clegane is my deal breaker merely because he deals extremely well with pain, and he's the only one strong enough to deal with the pain of Roberts blows with the hammer, take it from him and use it against him.

I can't see any of the pretty boys being quite so gutter in a fight, and thats what it would take.

Course, Clegane would ruin his body in the effort, but a win is a win.

He injured Robert severly enough but... I like to think he was somewhat distracted maybe, but if anything I don't fault him for bringing a sword I fault him for not bringing The Sword of the Morning Ser Arthur Dayne with him.

We only have anecdotal information regarding that fight anyway. I don't think Robert would have bested Rhaegar in a fair fight.

How so? Rhaegar never been in a real fight in his life, where Bobby fought in Melees and was part of a war for a year.

Archived