AFFC/ADWD Merged Reading Plan

Forsaken Crow

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure that this has been posted yet, but I figured I'd share this since it really helped me a lot.

I am currently nearing the end of ADWD but when I started AFFC I was given a reading plan from a friend of mine that actually merges the two books so you can read them as if they were one book. It actually really helped keep me entertained due to the fact that the two books are happening simultaneously and so you can read the events as they are happening and you won't have to go on to ADWD and read about the same things from AFFC told from a different perspective. It is a better way to read them IMO so if anyone is interested, here is the link to the plan:

http://boiledleather.com/post/24543217702/a-proposed-a-feast-for-crows-a-dance-with-dragons

• 2 weeks later...

This really does seem like a great idea and I am not exactly a fan of the way GRRM split these two books apart geographically. I think it would've been a better idea to just keep the story together and split it in the middle somewhere. Or hell, just release it as one huge book? I certainly wouldn't mind reading a 1700 page ASOIAF book.

• 1 month later...

I am currently about halfway through reading the combined book (I have not read them previously). It is enjoyable, but the downsides I've noticed are: (1) It is just so long. (2) There can be a very long time between returning to a POV, for instance I haven't heard anything from Arya or Bran in like 300 or 400 pages. (3) It is somewhat boring through the first half. You learn about two new settings, Dorne and Iron Islands and what I assume is all the character's build up. Hopefully this is balanced out by having all the character arcs climax in the second half.

This sounds like a good idea "on paper," but it really would depend on the reading order. It really just depend son the chapter order for characters. And, obviously, lists like this really work best if you've got digital copies of both books.

I just finished reading AFFC and I think this book really doesn't have any significant overlap between chapters for POV characters. So I think you could read all the Sam chapters, all the Brienne chapters, all the Cersei chapters, etc. if that helps get you through the book faster. I know after I read ASOS I immediately went and read the first two of Daeny's chapters in ADWD. It didn't spoil things in AFFC at all.

• 1 month later...

I was reading a combined version...at first. I liked it in the beginning because I could experience all the characters. But, over time it seemed like there was no end in site! lol I am now just focusing on AFFC and I like it better this way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Did "ball of beasts" up until things started to pick up in FFC. Then I put down Beasts, and finished FFC. I'm now finishing up DWD.

Downsides: it's long. Very long. Since both books are slow to pick up, it means a very long "pick up" as you're reading two books simultaneously. Sometimes you're left wondering "is this going anywhere? why not get to the point?". Maybe you find things out before you're meant to (e.g. you hear of the ironborn reaving early on in DWD.... so by the time it's first mentioned in FFC it's old news - it's not a spoiler since it's chronological, but would it have been better to hear it in FFC first and DWD later? unsure)

Upsides: you don't have to wait an entire book to find out what's going on with tyrion, jon and dany. The chronology makes more sense. It can be more interesting to change povs more often, particularly if you think some are meandering (i thought brienne's was at first, but then her moral dilemma became a very interesting story point). And arguably, it's the way GRRM planned to do it if he hadn't been limited by paperback size issues.

Archived