What wouldve happened if Robb met Victarion in battle at Moat Cailin?

unSonofStannis

Vic wasn't at Moat Cailin when Robb planned to attack it. There was only an Ironborn skeleton garrison, comprised of the people that Victarion literally didn't feel were worth the boat-space to get back to the Iron Islands. If Robb were to die in his attempt at retaking the Moat, it would be a pretty ignominious death sadly.

That being said, in an alternate universe where the Greyjoys kept the meat of their forces at the Moat, including Victarion, the northerners would have been crushed pretty hard. Even that tiny, tiny, skeleton crew was keeping back Roose's forces. I don't see how opening a second front would do much considering they're still fortified towers.

He vaulted over the gunwale, landing on the deck below with his golden cloak billowing behind him. The white roses drew back, as men always did at the sight of Victarion Greyjoy armed and armored, his face hidden behind his kraken helm. They were clutching swords and spears and axes, but nine of every ten wore no armor, and the tenth had only a shirt of sewn scales. These are no ironmen, Victarion thought. They still fear drowning.

"Get him!" one man shouted. "He's alone!"

"COME!" he roared back. "Come kill me, if you can."

From all sides the rosey warriors converged, with grey steel in their hands and terror behind their eyes. Their fear was so ripe Victarion could taste it. Left and right he laid about, hewing off the first man's arm at the elbow, cleaving through the shoulder of the second. The third buried his own axehead in the soft pine of Victarion's shield. He slammed it into the fool's face, knocked him off his feet, and slew him when he tried to rise again. As he was struggling to free his axe from the dead man's rib cage, a spear jabbed him between the shoulder blades. It felt as though someone had slapped him on the back. Victarion spun and slammed his axe down onto the spearman's head, feeling the impact in his arm as the steel went crunching through helm and hair and skull. The man swayed for half a heartbeat, till the iron captain wrenched the steel free and sent his corpse staggering loose-limbed across the deck, looking more drunk than dead.

yeah, one on one robb is fucked.

Apparently. He wouldn't have been successful even so, however. Him coming north was already factored into Balon's plans.

One dead Robb would be the outcome if he met Victarion one on one. Poor boy wouldn't have stood a chance.

Why would Robb fight Victarion one on one? I don't know how prominent Victarion's legend is among northmen, but I can't imagine why Robb would fight him one on one. He was wise enough not to fight the Kingslayer that way, and arguably Robb had as much reason to seek Jaime out as he would Victarion. It makes more sense to think that Robb and Victarion would either not meet or meet while Robb was surrounded by his coterie of highborn warriors... you know, the way he fights all of the time?

Vic wasn't at Moat Cailin when Robb planned to attack it. There was only an Ironborn skeleton garrison, comprised of the people that Victarion literally didn't feel were worth the boat-space to get back to the Iron Islands. If Robb were to die in his attempt at retaking the Moat, it would be a pretty ignominious death sadly.

That being said, in an alternate universe where the Greyjoys kept the meat of their forces at the Moat, including Victarion, the northerners would have been crushed pretty hard. Even that tiny, tiny, skeleton crew was keeping back Roose's forces. I don't see how opening a second front would do much considering they're still fortified towers.

I thought Vic left at the beginning of AFFC

Alas, we shall never know .. I think Grey Wind takes down Captain Vic . . . Lord Serry almost got him.

Teeth vs steel plate? I doubt direwolves generate enough force in joules to puncture plate and mail.

Why would Robb have fought Vic one on one?? Makes no sense.

If it's the battle your talking about then it's interesting to hypothesise. I would say Robb is a better commander but Vic isn't so bad either. Numbers would be about even but Robb's army has met with several big victories while Vic had been under constant assault from the reeds. Furthermore they are trying to return home to save their people. With the reeds on his side I give it to robb but it would likely be a very bloody affair and could go either way

I thought Vic left at the beginning of AFFC

He took off with his captains/crews before the Red Wedding. It was the news that Balon had died which prompted Robb to plan his attack on the Moat to begin with. His 'two fronts' strategy was good and all, but so long as the Ironborn had ten thousand men at that incredibly defensive position and chokepoint, it was doomed.

I guess the Reeds would help Robb to navigate the swamps and they would take out the Ironborn quite fast, if only by surprise.

You actually raise a good point. The ironborn will be surprised by Robb's attack. They cannot have scouts as they are being killed by the crannogmen. Vic has no intelligence of the action in the south so he will not realise Robb is coming. Another surprise assault from Robb

They would have smashed the Ironborn, but they would have had pretty massive casualties.

I hate to say it but had Robb and GW met Victarion one on one, then Vic would likely carve through them. But that would put him just under Ramsay on my give to The Lord of Light list.

Archived