TWOP/PTV Unsullied Thread, Part VII: [Book & Show Spoilers]

Independent George

The general consensus with the unsullied so far for the new episode seems to be "Oberyn is awesome," "The Hound and Arya are awesome," "and thank god mopey Jon is gone, BAMF Jon is in!"

And lots of people expecting Arya to start killing some Lannisters. Wonder how they will feel when she goes to Bravos instead.

This has been fun already, looking forward to a day or two's time when the unsullied get down to it properly.

Oh, absolutely, always the best part. I've been looking at other 'unsullied' (as opposed to 'THE Unsullied') threads at other boards and while there certainly are some very funny and witty comments, no one else that I know of does the in-depth analysis that THE Unsullied do. I spent about 15 minutes sitting here laughing out loud at an unsullied convo going on elsewhere--where they were trying to get straight what the familial connection is/was between Oberyn and Dany--it was hilarious. It was one of those 'no, no, her father was his sister's uncle's cousin' kind of things. Love all the unsullied threads--they keep me in the GoT Universe all week, whilst waiting for the next episode. Then, they start all over again. 10 weeks of heavenly fun every spring. I may throw myself off a tall tower when this series finally ends. :P

If the king is to perish, question is who would be the perpetrator? This flash-bang Martell? No, too obvious. I would also be disappointed if it were Tyrion. I'll go with our newly re-appeared necklace fool, simply because it would be brilliant to see Joffrey's face as the stumbling drunk slides the blade into his flesh in one last attempt at heroism/retribution.

I skimmed through this part and when I saw the necklace being mentioned in the same paragraph discussing how Joffrey will die I gasped, thinking "how the hell did he come to that conclusion?". But then I read it again and got somewhat relieved it was not so :D

Am a bit confused by the theorizing that Cersei is menopausal...

But overall am surprised at how few really bizarre tangents that make no sense the Unsullied are going off on, they seem to have a better handle on things this year, although they should really look at a freaking map especially since they see one every single episode with the opening credits. Gendry washing up in Slaver's Bay? The fuck?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/48261481.jpg

and this is why I love the unsullied.

Well, I agree that I wanted Arya to get some revenge, and that Polliver guy had it comming. Still, the fact that she acted out the killing of Lommy in which she is the killer... that is a little worrisome. I mean, yeah it has power, but that's because it means something psycologically. It means that Arya identifies with the abuser instead of the victim. Compared to Sansa who clearly identifies with the victim - as we are reminded in this episode by the way when we remember that she dared Joeffrey's wrath to save Dontos. Fascinating how they keep comparing the two Stark girls, so different.

and this is why I love the unsullied.

Man, they've got some rough times a coming on that front, if they thought killing Polliver was bad...but it's not a bad point about Arya being naturally violent and vengeful while Sansa is the more merciful sister.

It's also very likely that for the Unsullied, Jon/Dany would seem like a great future ship, while that's the LAST thing we want, given our knowledge of Jon's parentage and the problems that all the Targcest has caused over the centuries...while if you're Unsullied the possibility that Jon could become King and Sansa Queen must seem completely impossible and gross-while on these boards its not necessarily the most popular or likeliest possibility but it as considered something that might actually happen-and would certainly make dynastic sense. Hell, for the Unsullied, it must be impossible to even conceive a way for Jon to be King at all, even if they'd like it to happen...

I wonder how long it'll take them to put two and two together and realize that the QoT tossed the necklace that Dontos gave Sansa. Usually they're eagle-eyed when it comes to little plot details like that (missed it completely until someone pointed it out to me on another forum). Happy they're laying out the breadcrumbs for Joffrey's murder.

I saw that Sansa comment! Made me want to air punch. I've always found that dynamic between Arya and Sansa fascinating. Arya takes more "action" but she's getting so psychologically damaged. Sansa's endured a lot of tragedy and had "examples" like Cersei for how some ladies have dealt with their inequality, but she remains super resilient in terms of trauma.

D'oh! That's what I get for not rewatching.

It's all good. When I was in another thread, I wondered how they would deliver the poison if its a necklace she'll wear instead of a hairnet. So I was like hmm maybe Margaery will ask if she can wear it because they can't find one Olenna likes. So I went back to look and was very disappointed that they don't look alike. And Sansa is wearing the necklace in the promo for the next episode. The unfortunate thing about it is that having Olenna adjust her hair is such a great, subtle way to do it. Groping at Sansa's neck is so much more awkward...

Catching up on the new thread, this was beautifully written:

Thinking about that incredible opening: I could watch it for hours. It's really a three-minute work of art (heh) -- about the length of classic popular song.

For starters, it begins with the last minute of the "Previously" where we see, beautifully edited, the images of (1) Ned in Winterfell, drawing the sword from its scabbard, held by Theon (!), who looks on with a perfect glint of avidity; (2) cut to Payne at Baelor, finishing the drawing of the sword, cut to (3) Ned in Winterfell, praying by the execution stone, cut to (4) Ned at Baelor, kneeling at the execution block, cut to (5) (I think): Ned in WInterfell, beginning to deliver the blow, cut to (6) Ned at Baelor, receiving the blow, and (7), the red blade.

Only then into the opening: close-up of the wolfskin scabbard and a hand (Tywin's) withdrawing the sword, then handing it to the smith. The blade is struck off from the hilt. All those stunning shots of Tywin and the smelting and the pouring and the two-sword mold...

And then the music: PTSD cellos, underscoring it all with "The Reynes" (instrumental version). Building up to Tywin's throwing the scabbard into the fire, and the last note of the accursed song flows straight into the first note of the beloved theme, with its own image of stag and wolf upon a blade.

Are you kidding me? And not one word. What a magnificent piece of directing and editing. Here's why the TV series narrative is sweeping all before it: the images were compelling, but their effect relied on our connection with three years' worth of story, each connection struck off on our hearts, sharp as flint upon a stone.

Makes me appreciate the opening even more than watching it the first time.

Also:

As for "King" Joffrey's demise, I am not holding my breath. It has been two seasons of playing 50 Ways to Kill a Weasel, with nothing so far. I know it is inevitable, but we may have him around for a while. He is useful to the plot, but he is also a fascinating character being brought to TV thru a brilliant performance. I will miss him when he is gone. I still want him done in by his uncledaddy (thanks, gingerella!), but that might be too ironic for them both. If Joffrey starts saying "kill them all", though, all bets are off.

God, I can't wait for next week...

I lol'd at PTSD cellos.

'Rains of Castemere' has got to go into the next Yo-Yo Ma album.

Am a bit confused by the theorizing that Cersei is menopausal...

Actually, I think they're theorizing that Cersei is using Qyburn to induce menopause (or, at least, a false menopause) to get out of marrying Loras. Which, honestly, actually sounds like a brilliant addition. It gives them an out from that marriage, it introduces the Qyburn-Cersei dynamic in advance of the FFC material, it gives him something to do this season, and his elevation makes a lot more sense later on.

Actually, I think they're theorizing that Cersei is using Qyburn to induce menopause (or, at least, a false menopause) to get out of marrying Loras. Which, honestly, actually sounds like a brilliant addition. It gives them an out from that marriage, it introduces the Qyburn-Cersei dynamic in advance of the FFC material, it gives him something to do this season, and his elevation makes a lot more sense later on.

Well, if they are right, I think the only issue with the theory is that it's too smart of a plan to Cersei's.

Then again, maybe it was Qyburn's

Archived