Why didn't the Tyrells demanded Gregor's huge head?

Jeor Fookin Mormont

I guess there's a number of possible explanations, and really GRRM might not even have given it much thought.

It's possible the Tyrells were trying to worm their way into more power and consolidate their political position which wouldn't be served well by antagonizing the Lannisters over a relatively minor issue.

Maybe asking for it might have tarnished Loras' reputation as a knight? "First he is not able to defend himself against an attacker and then he gets all whiny about it... that's a mighty knight, isn't it?"

Well, even if they demanded the head, the Lannisters wouldn't haven given it up. It was key to making nice with the Martells, who were owed a more serious blood debt than a simple insult.

And of course, there is no way of knowing whether the skull that made it to Sunspear was really Gregor's. For all we know, they could have gotten a gorilla skull from Jalabhar Xho. From Areo's POV:

The captain of the guards had never seen a larger skull. Its brow shelf was thick and heavy, its jaw massive.

At the time I don't think the Tyrells were in a position to demand much of anything from the ruling houses and king sitting the IT. That incident occurred before Robert even died. The Tyrells were leagues away in Highgarden, Loras was the only one in KL. They had not called their banners, hooked up with Redwyne's sea power, or become the group that would eventually tip the scales.

Gregor was the pet of the Lannisters and it seems to have been pretty well known that the Lannisters ruled and put up with Robert as an unpleasant necessity for the time being. And Lannisters aside, they would have had to apply to Robert for that, who likely would have responded that if Loras couldn't defend himself he should go home and use his lance for helping with the harvest.

I imagine it would have to be a matter of Loras having the right to demand satisfaction in a man to man duel. Turning to the King to enact justice for him would be seen as cowardice in the circumstance of a knight-on-knight attack (and even then, Gregor would have the right to trial by combat). While his father or older brothers weren't there to talk him out of challenging said duel out of sheer pride - I'll just assume Renly did.

Loras' pride was obviously stung badly by the whole affair, hence his eagerness to be the one sent to bring Gregor to justice.

Because I don't think anyone actually cares about that. The Martell's beef with Gregor, on the other hand, goes much deeper.

This.

What Gregor did was offensive to Loras and the Tyrells but not really worth the trouble of going up against Casterly Rock and the throne. If Gregor killed Loras, however...

Lots of reasons.

I'd put on the top of the list, though, "no harm, no foul." Loras was attacked, but wasn't injured. Is attempted murder even a crime? Could they prove Gregor was trying to kill Loras as oppose to just "bruising" him for his low handed tactic? Probably not.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if his attack on Loras didn't partially contribute to their decision to back Renly and rebel against the "Lannister" pretender.

Archived