Small Council selection

Stormland's Fury

What is the process?

Sometimes the choices make sense, but sometimes they just seem like a formality.

An example: Why not appoint Stannis the Master of Law instead of Master of Ships when Renly came of age? I assume Robert wanted his youngest brother on the council too, so he had to give him something. But it seems Stannis would be more suited for taking care of justice (even though admittedly he was good as an Admiral too).

Renly certainly could handle ships, as he grew up in Storm's End.

Compare that with the appointment of Mace Tyrell as Master of Ships. They had to had him on the council for political reasons, but what does the lord of Highgarden know of naval matters?

I am also curious who would be the next Grandmaester? Is Qyburn a possibility or does Cersei simply not have the power anymore to pull some strings and get him his chain back?

The king goes: "I think we choose this guy", and it's done. Maybe the person has the option to decline, maybe not.

Only the Citadel seems to have any say in the Grand Maester position, and that's by tradition only. The King can execute their selections until they agree to the king's.

I don't think Renly could be anywhere as good as Stannis as master of ships. Love or hate the man he knows his naval stuff.

There was no denying that Stannis would have even the best for the post. But since Westeros was not at war I just wondered why he wasn't appointed to the Law post. But a rebellion can break out any moment I guess, so it's good to have Stan around.

There was no denying that Stannis would have even the best for the post. But since Westeros was not at war I just wondered why he wasn't appointed to the Law post. But a rebellion can break out any moment I guess, so it's good to have Stan around.

We know he was active in the role even during peace time. There was his visit to the three sisters.

Yes, he was Master of Ships since Robert became king. But when Renly became of age, Robert had two brothers he could assign to any post on the Small Council. Although he probably saw no need to reassign Stannis.

Anyway, what about Qyburn? Any chance there?

Stannis as Master of Ships makes most sense if he recall that he is also Lord of Dragonstone, an island state with mostly island and coastal vassals. The positions overlapped quite nicely.

Plus, we have to recall Robert's view of justice is very different then Stannis's. Stannis is all about punishing transgressions appropriately. Robert is more forgiveness and emotional driven justice. He forgave almost everyone who fought against him, with the exception of the Targaryens. Stannis would probably have executed Janos Slynt if given the position to enforce the king's justice, which Robert didn't want because Janos Slynt was corrupt in favor of Robert.

That may very well be the most efficient way to drive the Citadel into the arms of Stannis or Aegon.

Oh wait, it's Cersei. All hail Grandmaester Qyburn.

Exactly, if she still has the power to pull off something like that she would be dumb enough to do it.

Stannis as Master of Ships makes most sense if he recall that he is also Lord of Dragonstone, an island state with mostly island and coastal vassals. The positions overlapped quite nicely.

Plus, we have to recall Robert's view of justice is very different then Stannis's. Stannis is all about punishing transgressions appropriately. Robert is more forgiveness and emotional driven justice. He forgave almost everyone who fought against him, with the exception of the Targaryens. Stannis would probably have executed Janos Slynt if given the position to enforce the king's justice, which Robert didn't want because Janos Slynt was corrupt in favor of Robert.

On top of that the Lannisters would have gotten pissy if Stannis was in charge of the law. Too many of their lackeys would wind up one head shorter or on the Wall.

Archived