Arya's next step

Ice Turtle

IMO all the FM trainees will spend time with mummers to learn how to play roles as different people. I'd assume most don't have as much real life experience where becoming someone else is dependent on their survival.

It seems natural for someone who is going to become "someone else" for the purposes of infiltrating and killing that play acting is one of the many steps of the training. As is making poisons, going blind, helping with dead bodies, and wearing different skins. So that's why she was sent to the mummers.

As to her being sent to Isembaro himself as "king of the mummers" I can't say. It does seen like the bravosi respect and atleast have a healthy fear of the faceless men (as we see with the captain that takes arya to bravos and the crew giving her gifts instead of her giving them one). It's possible he has a history with the faceless men or that whoever runs bravos has ties with the faceless men and helps place recruits in different required training positions.

I personally wonder how the kindly man/Faceless men know Brusco/Izembaro and why they are willing to take on Arya, also did they know she was a faceless trainee? They must be connected I wonder if we'll find the reason

The wiki says that Izembaro is a collaborator of the FM. Strange that the FM would collaborate with people outside the guild at all.

But why wasn`t Arya sent to Izembaro before she went out as Cat of the Canals, etc?

This might be a bit off topic, but why was Arya sent to Izembaro in the first place? Hardly to be a mummer...

This may not be what you were going for but well I don't think it was just to be a mummer either but the Kindly Man did tell Arya she would learn the arts of mummery and glamour.

“Mummers change their faces with artifice,” the kindly man was saying, “and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper."

But here are some pragmatic learning possibilities and potential uses to chew on. Quite a while back I read this theory which I liked quite a bit, from evita;

If Arya has an internship with the mummers [posted above], she will practice the performance arts as part of her FM training. Learning to "play a role" makes sense as an educational opportunity for 'no one’ whose face changes but who still needs to acquire the skills of 'becoming someone' through practice on a stage. Convincing an audience of her believability as a variety of characters is a viable transition for Arya, who will perfect an actor’s tools, such as her voice (using accents, throwing her voice, pitch, tone, projection), using her body to communicate a character through posture, stances, balance, mime, dance, song, acting from a script, impromptu and ad lib, and blocking, staging, costuming, etc. Likewise, Arya will learn theatre magic -special effects, sleight of hand, illusion, lighting, functionality with props, and so on.

An internship with a mummer’s troupe, in Braavos or elsewhere, will even expose Arya to playing gender-specific roles. Much of what the FM, even Syrio, taught Arya involves evoking the five senses and making them more acute by revoking one or more. [The KM blinds Arya to teach her awareness of her other senses. Theatre exercises for beginners involving a blindfold simulates blindness to teach actors to employ their senses in developing a role and in delivering lines].

More importantly, much of theatre involves seeming and illusion, make-up, costumes, and ‘glamours’; manipulating an audience into believing whatever her goal maybe. Arya has been absorbing knowledge from many sources, some of her connections even suggest, maybe foreshadow, Arya learning to ‘perform’ – doesn’t Taganaro want Arya to work with him and Casso, King of Seals? Another friend shows her magic tricks – and she even enjoys the company of two mummer troupes at the ports in Braavos. Before joining the FM, Arya had already played many roles: Wease, Ary, Salty, and so on.

Arya is, in essence, an actor who wears a mask and costume, represented by her Face and Attire Changes. But she hasn’t yet learned to fine-tune her craft. Training with the mummers seems a logical vehicle for expanding Arya’s abilities so that she can wear an assortment of faces and do so believably.

So then when I found two SSM's commenting on an upcoming character called the King of the Mummers I was convinced that he was Izembaro and Arya would begin an apprenticeship with mummers. I also compiled quotes about mummers from the books in a thread that seems inaccessible now, so I'll repost some of them here as they are interesting but there may be something also in a thread where Ice Turtle tried to compile all of this information more clearly here.

These are quotes about Pyp:

"Pyp had traveled the Seven Kingdoms with a mummers' troupe, and bragged that he could tell what you were and where you'd been born just from the sound of your voice."

"The mummer's boy with the big ears was a born liar with a hundred different voices, and he did not tell his tales so much as live them, playing all the parts as needed, a king one moment and a swineherd the next. When he turned into an alehouse girl or a virgin princess, he used a high falsetto voice that reduced them all to tears of helpless laughter, and his eunuchs were always eerily accurate caricatures of Ser Alliser."

Varys:

"They taught me that each man has a role to play, in life as well as mummery. So it is at court. The King's Justice must be fearsome, the master of coin must be frugal, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard must be valiant . . . and the master of whisperers must be sly and obsequious and without scruple. A courageous informer would be as useless as a cowardly knight."

"Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less."

"So power is a mummer's trick?"

"A shadow on the wall," Varys murmured, "yet shadows can kill"

Edmure:

"The one on the end was some sort of damned mummer. He used my own voice to command that the River Gate be opened."

The Kindly Man:

"You must walk before you run. Why use a spell, where mummer’s tricks will serve?” “I don’t know any mummer’s tricks either.” “Then practice making faces. Beneath your skin are muscles. Learn to use them. It is your face. Your cheeks, your lips, your ears. Smiles and scowls should not come upon you like sudden squalls. A smile should be a servant, and come only when you call it. Learn to rule your face.”

Arya in Braavos:

"The mummers off the Ship showed her how a hero stands, and taught her speeches from The Song of the Rhoyne, The Conqueror’s Two Wives, and The Merchant’s Lusty Lady. Quill, the sad-eyed little man who made up all the bawdy farces for the Ship, offered to teach her how a woman kisses, but Tagganaro smacked him with a codfish and put an end to that."

"The waif had shaved her head for her when they took her eyes; a mummer’s cut, she called it, since many mummers did the same so their wigs might fit them better"

(re the Sailor's Wife)

"If neither priest nor septon was on hand, one of the whores would run to the Ship and fetch back a mummer. Merry always claimed the mummers made much better priests than priests, especially Myrmello."

It's very interesting that all throughout the books Martin refers to the Lords and Ladies as putting on mummer farces with their political maneuverings, particularly the Lannisters and with Tyrion the mummer motif is used quite often. I’m sure all of us have noticed mummer’s farces and tricks tied in more with deception, intrigue, plots and such, like Theon and “Arya” putting on a mummer’s farce to pull off a fake Arya or even weddings being mummer’s farces in general like with Margery and Renly or the Red Wedding. Manderly used Davos in a mummer’s farce with the Freys, Yunkai used a mummer’s farce to give Hizdahr an excuse to kill the dragons, even some deceptive mummery in The Mystery Knight.

We could really go on all day but even compared to the overall story Tyrion seems intimately connected to this theme for so many reasons. In general Tyrion is very talented at spotting a mummer’s farce better known as lies and intrigues and goes on to learn that power is nothing more than a mummer’s trick. Characters like Sandor use mummery to humiliate Tyrion but probably because of situations that Tyrion learns how to return the favor or beat them to the punch. Tyrion also understands the importance of mummer’s tricks and this is evident in how he manipulates his trial in the Eyrie and in the fact he uses an actual mummer to help Jaime escape though that did not work it was clever. It is also reflected in the way Tywin and Cersei uses him over and over in their mummer farces, Tyrion’s wedding to Sansa for one of hundreds

When I discussed this with Lummel I liked his thoughts; "There is an aspect of Tywin/Lannister power which is about the performance of power and the public demonstration of might (the dead babies, the extravagant wedding, the golden armor, the walk of shame - its all Lannister theatre) then there is Varys' riddle and power as a shadow on the Wall - you have to act the part of the king (or who ever) and play your part there are those theatrical moments with Tyrion and the blacksmiths, or the dinner with Cersei (method acting - channeling his inner Tywin), the pretense with Janos Slynt and finally Tyrion's consciousness of himself as an Imp and playing up to that."

Really the possibilities to apply the knowledge Arya has gained from training with mummers are quite endless in the story the way Martin uses the mummer theme throughout the books and it slides from small scale manipulations to high scale political situations. Arya's next step will be influenced by all of this.

It's very interesting that all throughout the books Martin refers to the Lords and Ladies as putting on mummer farces with their political maneuverings, particularly the Lannisters and with Tyrion the mummer motif is used quite often. I’m sure all of us have noticed mummer’s farces and tricks tied in more with deception, intrigue, plots and such, like Theon and “Arya” putting on a mummer’s farce to pull off a fake Arya or even weddings being mummer’s farces in general like with Margery and Renly or the Red Wedding. Manderly used Davos in a mummer’s farce with the Freys, Yunkai used a mummer’s farce to give Hizdahr an excuse to kill the dragons, even some deceptive mummery in The Mystery Knight.

We could really go on all day but even compared to the overall story Tyrion seems intimately connected to this theme for so many reasons. In general Tyrion is very talented at spotting a mummer’s farce better known as lies and intrigues and goes on to learn that power is nothing more than a mummer’s trick. Characters like Sandor use mummery to humiliate Tyrion but probably because of situations that Tyrion learns how to return the favor or beat them to the punch. Tyrion also understands the importance of mummer’s tricks and this is evident in how he manipulates his trial in the Eyrie and in the fact he uses an actual mummer to help Jaime escape though that did not work it was clever. It is also reflected in the way Tywin and Cersei uses him over and over in their mummer farces, Tyrion’s wedding to Sansa for one of hundreds

When I discussed this with Lummel I liked his thoughts; "There is an aspect of Tywin/Lannister power which is about the performance of power and the public demonstration of might (the dead babies, the extravagant wedding, the golden armor, the walk of shame - its all Lannister theatre) then there is Varys' riddle and power as a shadow on the Wall - you have to act the part of the king (or who ever) and play your part there are those theatrical moments with Tyrion and the blacksmiths, or the dinner with Cersei (method acting - channeling his inner Tywin), the pretense with Janos Slynt and finally Tyrion's consciousness of himself as an Imp and playing up to that."

Really the possibilities to apply the knowledge Arya has gained from training with mummers are quite endless in the story the way Martin uses the mummer theme throughout the books and it slides from small scale manipulations to high scale political situations. Arya's next step will be influenced by all of this.

As well, there is the implication of Eddard putting on his Lord's face. "Ned" was just some guy, Cat's wife and Arya's dad, but "Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Hand of the King" - that man was a military commander, bringer of justice, etc. etc. Ned was not one for being false in anything he did, yet even he understood that to be a lord and have authority required a degree of playing the role of "Man With Authority". It is a lesson he managed to also pass on to Robb and Jon, and we see Bran observing this side of his father as well - but I have no doubt that Arya picked up something of this as well, perhaps her first lesson of this kind.

Well said, Elaena Targaryen. Loved your entire post.

:blushing: Thank you Winnief!

As well, there is the implication of Eddard putting on his Lord's face. "Ned" was just some guy, Cat's wife and Arya's dad, but "Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Hand of the King" - that man was a military commander, bringer of justice, etc. etc. Ned was not one for being false in anything he did, yet even he understood that to be a lord and have authority required a degree of playing the role of "Man With Authority". It is a lesson he managed to also pass on to Robb and Jon, and we see Bran observing this side of his father as well - but I have no doubt that Arya picked up something of this as well, perhaps her first lesson of this kind.

T4p Pod, that is a great catch and a perfect addition! Arya does recall Ned's lordly lessons in her chapters, like spending time dining and talking with his men, so this absolutely was the beginning for her lessons.

Reading the Mercy chapter I got the impression that she was there for some other, more specific purpose, rather than just training. I could easily be wrong but the references to the key, her first lines and her last and even the Cossomo and Yna were all suspicious. Along with the fact she has already been sent to kill people.

Reading the Ugly Little Girl and Arya's "dreams" of being her direwolf, am I reading too much into the discussion at Kevan's dinner with Cersei about the "bad cat" hanging around the castle? Arya when she lived in the castle knew that cat, chased it and caught it. And she was able to know that it was the Kindly Man who was hitting her because she was able to see him through the eyes of a nearby cat.

I think the bad cat is going to be involved in Arya's life when she returns to Kings Landing (and maybe even if she doesn't return there). Shape shifting will be one of Arya's assassisn's techniques, just as it was for Jaqen H'ghar at Harrenhal. Arya will finally understand how her Harrenhal boss's dog came to tear out his master's throat.

Reading the Ugly Little Girl and Arya's "dreams" of being her direwolf, am I reading too much into the discussion at Kevan's dinner with Cersei about the "bad cat" hanging around the castle? Arya when she lived in the castle knew that cat, chased it and caught it. And she was able to know that it was the Kindly Man who was hitting her because she was able to see him through the eyes of a nearby cat.

I think the bad cat is going to be involved in Arya's life when she returns to Kings Landing (and maybe even if she doesn't return there). Shape shifting will be one of Arya's assassisn's techniques, just as it was for Jaqen H'ghar at Harrenhal. Arya will finally understand how her Harrenhal boss's dog came to tear out his master's throat.

Awesome theory. I'm already 99% sure Arya's gonna be taking down some Frey's through Nymeria, and I like the idea of her using the cat for spying in the Red Keep. Given my theory that she's gonna be the next Master of Whispers that could work really, really well.

Awesome theory. I'm already 99% sure Arya's gonna be taking down some Frey's through Nymeria, and I like the idea of her using the cat for spying in the Red Keep. Given my theory that she's gonna be the next Master of Whispers that could work really, really well.

I've been advocating that as a probable destination for Arya as well, but next MoW? Is she even 12 yet? With a year or two of tying up loose ends and 5 years or so of job shadowing Varys, yes, she'd be awesome. However I just can't honestly see a tween being appointed to the small council, no matter who is on the throne.

There's this moment when Arya was talking to Bobono,the dwarf, and she threatens to remove his nose (Oh the irony)..... So I was just wondering, could there be a Tyrion and Arya encounter in the future? Though they're far away and busy doing other important things at the moment.

Who do you believe she'll be Master of Whispers for? Jon? For the record I love the idea of her in that role.

Other Lannister guards saw Raff leave with Mercy. Once they see her on stage, and see that Raff hasn't returned, they're going to be suspicious and it's going to cause all kinds of trouble.

How can they see her on stage when their post has no view of the stage?

they'll get a peek at some point. she's appearing on stage. she'll be seen. one way or another it will be known she left with the guard, she came back, the guard didn't.

Only after she is gone and the show is over. Their post has no view of the show and they have no reason to leave their post until its over, especially with them being down a guard.

Maybe its just me.

But my thoughts on Arya are fairly simple.

If Syrio survived, and i like to think he did, he was the first Mentor that Arya had, and one who had a large impact on her, his beliefs, or water-dancer beliefs not sure which, seem very at odds with the FM beliefs.

His major feeling/quote.

What do we say to Death, Not today.

If he survived, without his Patron Ned stark and possibly wanted for several deaths and escape attempts he would most likely head back home.

Cue Arya running into him by accident, the first person to teach her, and he will bring her back to herself. She will get needle and go back to Westeros and become what Lyanna would have been. The Shewolf.

Oh she will still be a Badass but no longer will she be empty. She will be a Baddass Stark again.

But that might be wistful thinking.

When Raff doesn't return by the shows end, his absence will be noted. The other guard wouldn't dare disrupt his lord during the show. But right after the end of the show, Lannisters would be headed back stage to inquire about the skinny mummer girl who speaks the common tongue. So Mercy might have 5 or 10 minutes to scoot.

I don't think she went back to the Gate because it facilitated her escape. I think she wanted to perform on stage one time. She plays Shae right?

When Raff doesn't return by the shows end, his absence will be noted. The other guard wouldn't dare disrupt his lord during the show. But right after the end of the show, Lannisters would be headed back stage to inquire about the skinny mummer girl who speaks the common tongue. So Mercy might have 5 or 10 minutes to scoot.

I don't think she went back to the Gate because it facilitated her escape. I think she wanted to perform on stage one time. She plays Shae right?

basically right. it's not like hell's going to break loose while she's on stage. but she will have to escape or be caught.

So I've argued that Arya can't go back to the House of Black and White because she's aready been warned about side projects, and because the FM punishment of choice is like to be death. It's kinda their thing.

But the thing that would almost certainly get her on the official FM shit-list is the sloppy way she left FM fingerprints all over the Raff hit. When folks start looking into what happened to Rafford, it will immediately become obvious that Mercy had weapons skills and language skills that made no sense for the person everyone knew as Mercy to have.

On say The Iron Islands that would just seem weird. But in Braavos I think everyone would shake their heads and say "Yep, Faceless Men." Organizations that operate in the shadows don't like to be the subject of buzz.

So the way she killed Raff was far worse than the way she killed Dareon. At least it is to the FM.

Archived