Video Games: The Real Thread That Never Ends

Relic

On a related note - episode 3 is to come out next week, apparently (Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on platform and location).

As for your spoiler, it's not something that occurred to me. I'll keep an eye out for it in ep 3, though.

On a related note - episode 3 is to come out next week, apparently (Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on platform and location).

As for your spoiler, it's not something that occurred to me. I'll keep an eye out for it in ep 3, though.

i heard. i had episode 2 sitting on my laptop for the last two months and finally played it today while sitting in Guatemala suffering from a bout of e-coli. Was pretty damn good.

more spoilers re: ep 2

Either someone is framing Wolf or they just really really don't like him. The very last scene with Crane sort of throws a wrench into my theory, as its highly likely that Crane had a perverse "thing" for Snow but didn't actually carry out the murder of Lilly, which would mean HE'S the one getting frame.

Good, I could use something to play. Outside of Stick of Truth and Ep.2 of Wolf I've pretty much just been playing old PS2 games since January. I'd chalk up the slow-down in good new releases* to the new console generation being out, but it doesn't seem like they're getting many releases yet either. I also feel like there weren't that many good new games last year (there were a few great ones, but not too much else), I certainly ended up replaying all my 360 games as much as I'm willing to, which was really disappointing after how good 2011 and 2012 were.

*I know there's the new Dark Souls, but I'm not interested in that after the issues I had with the first one. I was also very disappointed in the reviews for FFXIII:LR and Thief (although that one was to be expected) and skipped them as well. So this is somewhat on my tastes, but still, South Park is the first AAA game I bought since GTA V back in September. That's a pretty long dearth.

I'm redownloading Diablo III right now because too many people said that, like me, they hated the original but with the patch it totally rules now. Motherfuckers better be right about this.

The Advanced edition or whatever? Awesome, I've been waiting for it ever since I bought FTL on sale a month or two ago. :cool4: Best $5 I've ever spent.

Yes ser, that be it. isn't FTL a great little game? frickin hard tho. my last run i was cruising along in the good ship "Fat Betty", half way thru with a nice stash of fuel, credits, and missiles, a good solid crew, feeling pretty confident about things and then i jump into a god damned asteroid field. first hit takes out my engines i rush three crew to repair so i can charge up my ftl drive and gtfo. second direct hit takes out my med bay and sets the ship on fire. i open the doors to isolate and fight the fire. third hit takes out door control. all my o2 drains into space and that was all she wrote. i almost cried.

Fez,

The FFX Remake might be something worth checking out if you're into that sort of game. I'm having fun with it right now. I would definitely wait until LR is in the bargain bin too. Not worth the money, and maybe perhaps your time as well.

Has anyone played the second Burial at Sea for Bioshock Infinite, and how would you compare it to Ep1?

I thought that Ep1 was decent. Exploring an untouched Rapture was good and some of the scattered information you get about Ryan, Fontaine and all the rest was nice (who knew Sandor Cohen would be more of a fucking nut pre-destruction), but I thought the main story was too similar to the base game. On the fence about buying Ep2.

I'm redownloading Diablo III right now because too many people said that, like me, they hated the original but with the patch it totally rules now. Motherfuckers better be right about this.

Totally rules is probably an overstatement, but it is vastly improved. One of the major improvements requires the expansion, though - a game mode where you can shut off all the story bullshit and just teleport around wherever, between acts and all.

In my playgroup, the one person who flat-out hated the original enjoyed playing the expansion but has gotten bored and stopped. The rest of us thought the original was disappointing but still fairly entertaining, and we are still playing the new version.

I caved and bought TES:O I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like it. I have never been able to get into an MMO before, but this is thoroughly engrossing, it greatly reminds me of Morrowind.

Anyways, anyone know how to change your outfit? I keep changing my gear, but my outfit stays the same. It's kind of drab.

Yes ser, that be it. isn't FTL a great little game? frickin hard tho. my last run i was cruising along in the good ship "Fat Betty", half way thru with a nice stash of fuel, credits, and missiles, a good solid crew, feeling pretty confident about things and then i jump into a god damned asteroid field. first hit takes out my engines i rush three crew to repair so i can charge up my ftl drive and gtfo. second direct hit takes out my med bay and sets the ship on fire. i open the doors to isolate and fight the fire. third hit takes out door control. all my o2 drains into space and that was all she wrote. i almost cried.

FTL is a fucking amazing game for being such a small little package.

Some things really annoy me about it, especially it's rogue-like legacy, but the gameplay is just too much fun.

I picked it up. I'm enjoying it although I haven't played much yet

I'm pretty picky about 4x games -- a lot of them have too much to keep track of for me. I appreciate that all I have to manage in a city is what they're building.

Fez,

The FFX Remake might be something worth checking out if you're into that sort of game. I'm having fun with it right now. I would definitely wait until LR is in the bargain bin too. Not worth the money, and maybe perhaps your time as well.

Thanks, but I got more than enough of that game the first time it came out.

Finally got around to Alpha Protocol. This is a pretty good game, somewhere between Mass Effect, Deus Ex and Call of Duty, with a bit of James Bond thrown in. After five hours I only encountered one bug (I got stuck on a bit of scenery) which was sorted by a fast reload.

Biggest complaints: too small a skill tree and the combat is only a bit above average. But the stealth stuff is good fun and it's very much an Obsidian taken on the action game/movie tropes, so there's a lot of good dialogue, character ineteraction, black humour and metacommentary digs at the genre. Good stuff, with some great reactivity in the decisions you make having pretty long-lasting consequences, cutting off entire missions, opening up new ones and making it possible for you to fail a lot more spectacularly.

The hacking minigame can go jump off a cliff though. The lockpick and circuit-breaking ones are fine, but the hacking one is severely annoying.

Finally got around to Alpha Protocol. This is a pretty good game, somewhere between Mass Effect, Deus Ex and Call of Duty, with a bit of James Bond thrown in. After five hours I only encountered one bug (I got stuck on a bit of scenery) which was sorted by a fast reload.

Biggest complaints: too small a skill tree and the combat is only a bit above average. But the stealth stuff is good fun and it's very much an Obsidian taken on the action game/movie tropes, so there's a lot of good dialogue, character ineteraction, black humour and metacommentary digs at the genre. Good stuff, with some great reactivity in the decisions you make having pretty long-lasting consequences, cutting off entire missions, opening up new ones and making it possible for you to fail a lot more spectacularly.

The hacking minigame can go jump off a cliff though. The lockpick and circuit-breaking ones are fine, but the hacking one is severely annoying.

How's the AI? I saw this for $10 recently was thinking of getting it, but I've read that the AI made the game borderline unplayable; like Aliens: Colonial Marines levels of bad.

Archived