The books that inspired GoT

Loops

Ned Stark is basically a carbon copy of Leto Atreides, and there is a ton of other stuff in Dune that obviously heavily influenced GRRM.

IMO, Jessica has much in common with Catelyn. I thought of Dune as soon as I read of Catelyn getting the warning in a secret language from Lysa.

I think I may have found an inspiration for Tyrion in Mario Vargas Llosa's 1981 novel, The War of the End of the World.

Early in the novel we're introduced to a character named Felicio who is described as having "very short legs and an enormous head." He is the youngest son of the Pardinas family in Natuba similar to Tyrion being Tywin's youngest child. He is further described as having a "keen intelligence, a mind eager to know everything and capable, once a piece of knowledge had gone into that massive head that made people laugh of retaining it forever." He knows several languages and was taught some religion. Tyrion, if I remember correctly, considered joining the faith and we are well aware of his intelligence.

His physical appearance made the people of Natuba uneasy. In fact they began, "to murmur among themselves that he had not been fathered by the horsebreaker but by the Devil." This could be an interesting parallel if we consider the classic appearance of a devil with horns and a tail. Tyrion is often referred to as the Imp and there are several references of him and gargoyles. Devils, imps, and gargoyles are similar in their grotesque.

I am likely reaching at this point, but I think that we can draw parallels with Felicio and Tyrion's fathers. As stated above, Felico's father was a horsebreaker or someone who breaks or tames a horse. Tywin is constantly seen breaking others to his will. House Reyne rebelled against the then perceived weak Tytos. Tywin set an example and eradicated House Reyne in response and thereby broke other houses to the will of the Lannisters and ensuring their loyalty.

Oh, and Felicio is commonly referred to as The LION of Natuba.

I haven't read Les Rois Maudit, only watched the TV series, but even so, the similarities are pretty obvious. Baby swap where the substitute dies instead of the prince? An elderly lady performs a subtle public poisoning? The main schemer uses a woman in love with him to poison someone close to her, and then she is offed herself? A trial of unfaithful royal wives? The common elements are quite a few.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ned Stark is basically a carbon copy of Leto Atreides, and there is a ton of other stuff in Dune that obviously heavily influenced GRRM.

I thought the exact same thing when reading GOT. I am was really surprised that GRRM has not attributed Dune more often as an influence. The parallels are uncanny.

I thought the exact same thing when reading GOT. I am was really surprised that GRRM has not attributed Dune more often as an influence. The parallels are uncanny.

Probably GRRM and Frank Herbert had common influences.

Paul has much in common with Daenerys.

Archived