Season 4 Impressions

Westeros

The leaked auditions already inform us that Jaime will not die in Dorne. He'll play a part in thwarting the "crown Myrcella" plot and then go on his way, maybe even returning her to her mother. There are a number of reasons for them to invent this plotline (the merits of which we can debate once we've actually seen how it plays out) but this is not a hastening of whatever fate Jaime might meet later on.

BTW, Ran, are you speaking with the knowledge of upcoming book events when you say Jaime will survive LSH's wrath? If so...good to know.

Did anyone actually think SH would kill him? It would seem a complete and utter waste of his storyline.

They're gonna get through 4 books in 3 seasons. yeah of course you have to advance certain plot elements and knowledge of the books to predict what's going to happen on the show seems impracticable at this stage since we can be certain that a lot of stuff from the books will end up getting cut down to either its bare minimum or removed entirely from the show and frankly, with all the aimless wandering around in AFFC and ADWD, Ii couldn't have asked for more. I'll be glad for whatever they decide to keep in there but I won't begrudge them for leaving huge chunks out tbh.

BTW, Ran, are you speaking with the knowledge of upcoming book events when you say Jaime will survive LSH's wrath? If so...good to know.

Perhaps he does have some knowledge, although I doubt he'd spoil it like that. But it's a pretty simple conclusion to draw... Jaime is most likely the valonqar, meaning he needs to live long enough to kill Cersei.

We were always told that the show would get us to the same end-point for the characters but by a different narrative road so if Jaimie dies in the books it does not matter how he dies on the show as long as he dies and frankly I'd rather they made stuff up that's completely out of left field than have the show spoil the books for me.

How he dies is obviously important. Unless you think that Robb Stark could have died on the battlefield and that the story would still be the same??

Perhaps he does have some knowledge, although I doubt he'd spoil it like that. But it's a pretty simple conclusion to draw... Jaime is most likely the valonqar, meaning he needs to live long enough to kill Cersei.

How he dies is obviously important. Unless you think that Robb Stark could have died on the battlefield and that the story would still be the same??

Yeah that's the only reason i think he will survive Brienne/LS, otherwise I'd think he would let Brienne kill him in trial by combat or something to save her. But for me he is the best choice for valonqar

He's not going to be killed by Stoneheart.

Kind of a given, right? Surely it's obvious Jaime will survive it! He's slated to be the valonqar and even on the slight chance that he isn't there's still tons for him to do in the story.

Well, Jaime has done nothing of importance so far, so it is extremely likely that he survives.

... Because being the father of Cersei's illegitimate children is not important, right?!

What about pushing Bran? Attacking Ned in King's Landing? Being captured by Robb? Sending Brienne after Sansa? Freeing Tyrion?

Jaime has done more than enough in the plot to justify being killed. But he's so important that killing him now would be a waste of great potential.

New to the forums.

I have not read all of the previous posts so this probably has already been discussed, but for me personally the biggest failure of The Children was not the absence of LS but the abscence of the final exchange between Tyrion and Jaime. The phrases "where do whores go" and "She's (not sure about the swearing policy on this forum) Lancel, Osmond, and Moon Boy for all I know" all but define where Tyrion and Jaime's characters go from here. To remove those exchanges entirely leads me to seriously question how the showrunners are interpretating the story of the novels. I am not pleased with the whitewashing of Tyrion and to some extent Jaime as well.

I found most of the rest of Season 4 highly enjoyable, this is my one HUGE issue with it.

As for the "if the character is going to die at some point, you can just ignore their arc and characterization and use them for any random shit" idea, I'm not even going to dignify it with treating it seriously enough to comment.

I agree, it's a terrible way of approaching the material.

Sadly, on a different scale, the show already kind of did that:

with Cersei confronting her father about the twincest, only because it will have no repercussion due to Tywin death in the same EP.

*sigh*

As for the "if the character is going to die at some point, you can just ignore their arc and characterization and use them for any random shit" idea, I'm not even going to dignify it with treating it seriously enough to comment.

Completely agree. Maybe the Harry Potter movies should have had Cedric Diggory hook up with Hermione and Snape become a nice guy who washed his hair because "well they're going to die anyway!"

That argument is ludicrous at best.

It had the best premiere of any season, the best episode two, the best episode six, the best episode seven, the best episode eight and the best finale. Having rewatched it many, many times I can say that that alone, having more than half of its episodes be better than any of their s1-3 counterparts, ranks it above the other three seasons. (IMHO) Besides that though the production values were the best I've seen on television. At times I would've preferred the writing be more like the books and at times I was glad about the changes but all in all, it was immensely satisfying for me.

Like season 1, when it finished I didn't immediately wish for the next season to be out. Unlike after s2 and s3 I thought, "this will be enough to hold me over for a year."

I couldn't agree more. Given the outstanding book material at the end of book 3, it should have been so much better.

It could have been better, but it's far from being the worst season. Season 2 has that honor, in being both bad by itself without any book comparisons, failing as an adaptation, and having the biggest gap between the quality of the book adapted and the quality of the season. Season 4 is also better than season 3. IMO it is probably on par with season 1 and was better TV than season 1, even though season 1 was a better (but still not perfect) adaptation or source material - since season 1 also had its own issues (including the worst examples of sexposition ever), suffered from the lack of budget and too much exposition, and because, IMO, ASOS > ACOK > AGOT.

^This. I don't entirely agree with you about s2, but your s4 to s1 comparison is right on the money.

Well, season 2 wasn't all bad. Blackwater is still my favorite episode of the show. Theon's storyline was very well done, except for the anticlimatic resolution. The scenes in Winterfell with Bran, Luwin etc. were good. Parts of the King's Landing storyline were very well done. Jaqen was fantastic. Most of the episodes have some excellent scenes - but they also have some really bad scenes. I can't think of a single storyline that was done in a really satisfactory way all through; and Dany's, Robb's and Jon's storylines are just bad and contained some really cringeworthy scenes and dialogue, with Dany's storyline also being completely pointless and with no repercussions to anything going forward. (By comparison, the show-original stuff was much better in season 4, at least in terms of quality of the writing and entertainment value, if not in plot importance; in season 2, most of the non-book stuff was really bad.) Arya's storyline may be OK if you haven't read the book, but compared to her ACOK story it's really watered down and replaced by 'cool' talks with Tywin that didn't go anywhere or contribute anything to either character's development. Same thing with Sansa, minus the cool talks and with less screentime.

I agree with the above. For me it's:

S4

S1

S3

S2

The only things about Season 2 that really stood out were Theon's storyline and Tyrion's storyline. Otherwise, it had pacing problems.

Season 3 was better, but it also had pacing problems, as well.

Seasons 1 and 4 were the standout seasons of the show, and I think the show was more interesting in the past season because we had so many big moments.

Archived