Season 4 Impressions

Westeros

I thought the season was great though I had some problems with the way things played out.

I thought they gave away too much of Jon's SOS story in season 3. In the book after Jon escapes from the wildlings and makes it back to the Wall, the battle happens almost immediately. Here season 3 ends with Jon making it back to Castle Black. Leaving just the battle to happen at that point. It took Mance for some reason an entire season to launch his attack, at that point I'm sure that most fans of just the show didn't even remember who he was, when it looked like he was ready to attack in the middle of season 3. D&D didn't seem to really know what to do with Jon in interim until episode 9. The battle at Craster's Keep was a good idea, but Jon spent most of the season just going "Mance is coming" over and over again with no one taking him seriously and getting belittled by Thorne and Slynt. Though the battle was so epic its kind of forgettable in the grand scheme of things though even that wasn't completely perfect...

Stannis. They messed up on Stannis in season 4. The worst part is that for some reason they decided not to end episode 9 with him riding in and saving the day and instead opened the next episode with it. Not sure why as I think it would have been a great twist ending. Almost as bad is, like Jon, in season 3 they used up all of Stannis' story and didn't really know what to do with him until the battle at the wall. They've got him burning his brother in law for being an "Infidel" and thats it. Threatening to kill Davos unless he gets him back in the game and then the Iron Bank decides to back Stannis for the throne and its implied that he hires enough sell swords and ships to sail to the wall and take on Mance. In the book Stannis burns his brother in law because he tried to sell her off to Tywin. Stannis doesn't wait on some cash either to sail to the Wall, he takes the small force that he has left and he sails to the Wall on his own and attacks Mance because Davos has convinced him that a King should defend the people. Stannis doesn't go to the Iron Bank with his hand open, they come to him. They see what he is doing in the North and they want to be in the Stannis the Mannis business.

Also, season should have ended with Jon being elected Lord Commander.

What they did to Stannis on that show is a fucking travesty. Stephen Dillane is perfectly cast as well, but they don't hesitate to piss all over one of the great characters in literature. I dread to think where they're going with this. Stannis as a child murderer perhaps? Well they've already made an avowed atheist into a religious fanatic who burns heretics so anything's possible.

Lets not go nuts here. Stannis is fine in the books but I wouldn't call him 'one of the greatest characters in LITERATURE'. These books are not classic literature that you teach in schools. They're bestsellers that coast on nuanced characters but pacing and prose are just all over the shop.

If Game of thrones season 4 had great moment with padding then Madmen would be only padding. I never got why people get angry at the 'slow' pace of GOT when they have to watch 2 slower episodes and yet are happy to watch a whole bunch of nothing for 7 seasons of Madmen.

Lets not go nuts here. Stannis is fine in the books but I wouldn't call him 'one of the greatest characters in LITERATURE'. These books are not classic literature that you teach in schools. They're bestsellers that coast on nuanced characters but pacing and prose are just all over the shop.

If Game of thrones season 4 had great moment with padding then Madmen would be only padding. I never got why people get angry at the 'slow' pace of GOT when they have to watch 2 slower episodes and yet are happy to watch a whole bunch of nothing for 7 seasons of Madmen.

If you think "nothing" happens on Mad Men then it's no wonder you're such a fan of GoT.

Impression of Season 4: impressive moments, but the padding shows.

Yep! Every episode I couldn't help think how I and the majority of people on this forum could have wrote better scenes and dialogue.

They can sink millions and millions into sets & costumes but it won't make up for bad acting and poor dialogue. While S4 was much better than S3 it paled compared to S1 + 2 which were very well done.

Honestly the two biggest problems with the show IMO are the 1. the length and 2. the splitting of screentime between different characters.

I would be fine with them adding stuff like the Jaime Tyrion beetle conversation if they had the time, but they don't have it. With all the time they spend on filler sex scenes, Grey Worm and Missandei development and Gilly's trip to Molestown they could have easily made an interesting dilemma for Stannis to choose between King's Landing and the Wall or make Yara's story into something better. And as far a previous seasons go they could have cut so many scenes from Dany's season 2 storyline and Tyrion's season 3 storyline.

The Grey Worm and Missandei stuff is actually quite vital if you think abot what's gonna happen to the Unsullied in Meereen soon....so they want you to see them as more than simple killing machines. It's also a rare example of a non-sexual relationship.

yeah but they could have accomplished that by reproducing what was in the books. It would've taken less screen time, been just as effective, and for once would have produced a non gratuitous brothel scene.

Stalwart Shield will be in s5 so we're getting both.

I liked the Grey Worm and Missandei stuff myself. And not just because Nathalie Emmanuel is BEAUTIFUL beyond belief. Though admittedly their scenes do stink of "oh, we better give these actors something to do so they don't go on to other gigs" they were sweet and a little sweetness goes a long way, especially for two characters who've had pretty brutal lives.

I would be fine with them adding stuff like the Jaime Tyrion beetle conversation if they had the time, but they don't have it. With all the time they spend on filler sex scenes, Grey Worm and Missandei development and Gilly's trip to Molestown they could have easily made an interesting dilemma for Stannis to choose between King's Landing and the Wall or make Yara's story into something better.

Yeah, No, Maybe.

Grey Worm horny? Weird. Filler sex scenes and Missandei naked? Very much appreciated. It's a get one lose one situation.

The whole Gilly story is used to show that Sam slowly grows a pair (with a member). One can argue whether it's necessary but it is okay in terms of character development. In terms of realism I also do appreciate it when the actors who ... (how to put this delicately?) ... will never appear on a Vogue cover get more screentime.

The beetle conversation was super weird. That time could've had been used for a conversation about Tysha. I wonder why they haven't done this.

Yeah, No, Maybe.

Grey Worm horny? Weird. Filler sex scenes and Missandei naked? Very much appreciated. It's a get one lose one situation.

The whole Gilly story is used to show that Sam slowly grows a pair (with a member). One can argue whether it's necessary but it is okay in terms of character development. In terms of realism I also do appreciate it when the actors who ... (how to put this delicately?) ... will never appear on a Vogue cover get more screentime.

The beetle conversation was super weird. That time could've had been used for a conversation about Tysha. I wonder why they haven't done this.

Fair points all, but the bolded bits I especially agree with you on.

yeah but they could have accomplished that by reproducing what was in the books. It would've taken less screen time, been just as effective, and for once would have produced a non gratuitous brothel scene.

:lmao:

Seriously, you'd think that's be some kind of Holy Grail for D&D.

I quite liked the Messandai/Grey Worm scene. It reminds us that Dany has or at least meant to do well by liberating Slavers Bay. Both of these are ex-slaves that had cruel masters and we see them slowly regaining their "humanity".

The beetle scene though. I could walk in and write a better dialogue scene in 5 minutes than whatever moron wrote that absolute thrash. Jaime could have talked about Tysha or how he let the Mountain past him to go up to Ellia's room, taking blame for what happened like he does in the books. Anything would have been better than that scene which had no conclusion at the end.

They haven't done the Tysha conversation because a) jaime and Tyrion only ever think of each otyer afterards and so that conflict could not be translated to screen b ) they never meet again in the books, making Tyrion's words an empty threat or c) sad and defeated Tyrion is as far as they are willing to go with Tyrion and I doubt we'll get the mysogynist that he is in book 5 on the show. If they do go there next season, great. if not, I won't be missing it too much because the show has had enough problems with sex equality until now and has been rightly criticised for it most of the time.

I liked the beetle scene because the characters felt truly alive without the need to push another piece of plot or character exposition on us. It was just Tyrion reflecting on his life and the arbitrary nature of violence and the gods and everything else in the universe and jaime just goes 'wtf is he going on about'..it was lorious; it also showed a Tyrion that was a bit more nasty but still perceptive because he acknowledged that when he tried to be like everybody else mocking his cousin he knew it was cruel.

Archived