Beyond the Sunset Sea....

In A Feast for Crows, Gylbert Farwynd talks about lands west of the Sunset Sea [although he's not taken seriously]. Could this be true? And are they just the eastern coast of Essos? Will this play in, and for that matter, will any unchartered territory play into the plot? The depths of Sothoryos, with the hairy apes??

He has said his planet is also round so one would think eventually they lead to Essos, but he has also said that he is not one of those writers who believes they have to visit every corner of the map, so probably the only new places we will get to explore is North of the Wall, though I would love to see the City of the Winged Men(or maybe that's just a nod to Queen :cool4: )

While there are most likely lands out there, it is almost certainly not the coast of Essos. The distance from Westeros to Essos across the Sunset Sea would be approximately the same as the distance from Britain to Japan, if America didn't exist. Meaning the entire breadth of the Atlantic Ocean plus the entire breadth of North America, plus the entire breadth of the Pacific Ocean.

There is no way that any medieval ships would ever make landfall across such a vast expanse. If they have discovered lands, it is something new, and not Essos.

In A Feast for Crows, Gylbert Farwynd talks about lands west of the Sunset Sea [although he's not taken seriously]. Could this be true? And are they just the eastern coast of Essos? Will this play in, and for that matter, will any unchartered territory play into the plot? The depths of Sothoryos, with the hairy apes??

He is the Columbus of his time. Except Columbus was looking for a land everybody already knew existed, so maybe Farwynd isn't the Columbus of his time.

I agree with others that you will come to the east coast of Essos, it only makes sense based on how huge it is shown as being in the map book. I don't think we will ever see more of the world since Martin said no 1 is going further east than they have been, and that we would only see Ashai in flashbacks, however a nod to Brandon the sailor, or Brandon the shipwright whatever he was called would be cool. The Stark who sailed east and never came back.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P60
Question: Is your world round. I mean if Dany traveled far enough east couldnt she come to the other side of westeros?
GRRM: Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1122/
Question: Is there any trade between Westeros and Asshai over the Sunset Sea, or are those uncharted waters?
GRRM: Over the =Sunset= Sea? No. No one has ever crossed the Sunset Sea to learn what lies on the other side.

the Iron born themselves tell is suicide to sail too far west into the Sunset sea.
Euron says he did, but it's a lie most likely to seem more "badass"

Anyways, is almost impossible for Dany and his army to go this way to reach Westeros, a big army having to cross an ocean "probably" bigger than the Pacific Ocean woudn't make it with the naval technology we see on the books (no compass and no astrolabes)

the Iron born themselves tell is suicide to sail too far west into the Sunset sea.

Euron says he did, but it's a lie most likely to seem more "badass"

Yeah, Euron says a lot of things, like he has sailed into Valyria, is the first storm and the last, and he invented the question mark.

• 1 month later...

Archived