What if Robert died of his injuries after Killing Rhaegar ?

Jose Stark

The entire landscape of the war and succession would have changed drastically?

Who would be king? Would Tywin kill the Targs or try to keep Jaime on the Iron throne? Would Ned or Jon climb the steps? What about Lyanna's promise?

would Viserys and Dany still flee to Essos?

What about Cersei and Jaime? Etc

Tbh i could see either ned or jon being willing to climb the steps but Tywin making a play for Jaime since everyone rallied around Robert because he had a good enough claim?

If Ned was king he may have pardoned or spared Dany and Viserys?

I dont know how long catelyn would have been alive if she was in the way of Cersei being queen though....

The north and the wall would have gotten mote power since Ned would have been at its head or at least as Hand for Jon.....

Jon's reign would not have been for long tbh

What about u?

Seems like we'd be seeing a regency with Jon Arryn as regent and Hand and making sure Aegon learns to really love the Starks, Baratheons, Arryns and Tullys.

Cersei married to Aegon

Rhaenys likely betrothed to Stannis (If the pact with Selyse hadn't been made)

Whoever has a daughter first pairs her up with Viserys quickly (Or if he's too vehemently against them he is sent to exile)

Edmure betrothed to Dany

Seems like we'd be seeing a regency with Jon Arryn as regent and Hand and making sure Aegon learns to really love the Starks, Baratheons, Arryns and Tullys.

Cersei married to Aegon

Whoever has a daughter first pairs her up with Viserys quickly (Or if he's too vehemently against them he is sent to exile)

Edmure betrothed to Dany

You do realize all the kids are toddlers right?

I do not think they would have crowned Stannis, after all, Robert was no king yet. I think maybe Tywin would have joined forces with Aryes if he knew Robert died. I think it mostly likely that the rebellion falls apart, remember, Robert was very handsome and likable back then.

We know that prior to the Trident (even if it was right before it) the Rebel leaders have already chosen to back Robert as their candidate for the Throne. So there were two competing claims to the throne at that point - Aerys' (with baby Aegon as his heir) and Robert's (with Stannis as his heir). Which one of those claimants would Tywin choose to support is a whole other matter. If you ask me, he was so blinded by hatred towards Aerys that he would've still sacked the capital and joined the Rebels.

Cersei married to Aegon

Edmure betrothed to Dany

Not everything can be settled with marriage alliances.

And the first one you propose is kinda ridiculous, tbh. Aegon was a baby, Cersei was a teenager (17). Had Robert died, a much better political marriage for Cersei would've been with his heir (and now King) Stannis.

Then they would've crowned his heir, Stannis.

Edit: And the poor bastard would've probably had to marry Cersei...

By the gods! The ramifications! I love this idea.

Between Cersei's 'entitled to rule' and Stannis' 'duty to rule', Westeros would be a well run machine.

Plus, Cers wouldn't be able to get Stannis so drunk he wouldn't know they hadn't been making little Stannis'.

Awesome.

Mind you, now I'm curious as to who Stannis would choose as his Hand. :wideeyed:

Mind you, now I'm curious as to who Stannis would choose as his Hand. :wideeyed:

There aren't that many candidates. IMO, there are only two, maybe three men in the whole Realm with enough political experience to be Hand of the King - Tywin, Jon and Hoster. And I think the post would still go to Jon.

There aren't that many candidates. IMO, there are only two, maybe three men in the whole Realm with enough political experience to be Hand of the King - Tywin, Jon and Hoster. And I think the post would still go to Jon.

Hmmm. After giving it 5 minutes of thought, my money is on Tywin. Reason being, Stannis would still be resentful of Robert who considered Jon as a father figure (iirc), and Hoster is too closely associated with the Robert/Eddard/Jon foster family (through Lysa and Catelyn). So Tywin, having had previous experience of being a Hand (and all that money) would probably get the nod. Hmmm. I'll probably change my mind in 5 minutes from now. ^^

In that event, I suspect Twyin would still have sacked KL and killed Elia and the children, (to put him in good with the new regime, and clear the way to make Cersei Queen,) and in the end Stannis would have been crowned King-and then he'd have had to marry Cersei. Seven Save Us All. Though, it might have solved some problems-Stannis wouldn't have been so easy to cuckold, he never would have let LF gain so much influence, the Crown wouldn't have gone into debt, and in all likelihood Davos would have on the Small Council as either Master of Ships or Hand of the king. Though, Stannis might still have appointed Jon Arryn-it would make sense or even Tywin Lannister who Stannis might appoint simply for his proven abilities.

Alternatively, assuming Tywin hadn't sacked KL, (deciding to play it safe and stay out of the whole thing-arguably the wisest move he could have made) then we'd get a Regency for Aegon, under Elia with Jon Arryn as Hand which might have been all for the best. In that eventuality, Ned may never have had to hide the truth about Jon's parentage at all and the boy might even have been raised in the Red Keep by Jon Arryn and Elia (who I think might have made a better 'stepmom' than Cat.) Cersei never becomes Queen, but might well have married Oberyn to help stabilize the situation or some other important Lord, who would have lived away from Jaime, thus separating the Twins which would have avoided a lot of problems.

Robert was a great commander, but at that point Ned, Jon, Hoster, Roose Yohn Royce were all there with him, militarily speaking his death at that point wouldn't make a big difference. If Robert was dead but the loyalist host at the Trident was still smashed, absolutely would Tywin still betray Aerys. Question is whether he would still kill the kids, cause it wouldn't do half as much to appease Jon and Ned. Most likely the kids would be initially spared but perhaps King Stannis would put them to death later. Along with Varys and Barristan. Who knows how well Jon would be able to reign in Stannis concerning in punishing traitors. But he'd still probably marry Cersei. And both'd be happier for it, but not much happier cause they're still Stannis and Cersei.

If Robert dies, then there would be no reason for Tywin to sack Kings Landing. Once Aerys dies, a deal would have to be made between House Lannister and House Targaryen and it seems likely that Aegon will be King since Stannis will not be crowned as during the time of the Battle of the Trident, Storm's End was under siege and Stannis was the one leading the garrison. If Tywin decided to ally with the Targaryens, then the Lannister force would have to face the already weakened rebel army led by Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. If Tywin's forces won the rebellion will be over, if not, the rebels would try to break the siege. Since the rebel army(supposedly they win against Tywin) is weakened by two decisive battles it is very unlikely that they will be able to break the siege of Storm's End and Storm's End would fall in a matter of time as the Onions provided by Davos would ran out and the garrison will surrender Storm's End due to starvation. The war would go on far longer as Balon Greyjoy would start his rebellion sooner or later. But if Tywin still sacked Kings Landing, then Stannis would likely be the King with Cersei as queen.

Well I know for sure that Tywin would back the candidate that would benefit him the most.

We know he definitely wants Cersei to be Queen. That eliminates Ned and Jon A as marriage options, as they are already wed. That means he might back Stannis, Hoster, or stick with the Targaryens. But one thing is definitely evident- he'd want Aerys out of the way. No way is Tywin going to put himself into the fray without getting Aerys out of the picture.

So it's possible Tywin still sacks King's Landing, has Aerys killed (or Aerys is still killed by Jaime) and Tywin might still kill the royal children. It's possible he recalls Rhaella and Viserys from Dragonstone, marries Cersei to Viserys, and they become the new King and Queen?

I'm not sure, this is a big what if, with a lot of factors to consider.

Archived