Best TV Show Ever?

Dante's Girl

I don't think GoT is among the best; they had solid first season, but second season could almost be described as "cluster fuck". Third one improved some things, but not all. Especially Jon Snow character and arc is maybe even FUBAR at this point.

Also, dialogues are sometimes good, but sometimes pretty bad in my opinion. I am guessing there is difference in level of skill of show writers.

Anyway, I will reserve my final judgement of the show at least after season 4. After that it will be more interesting for surpassing the books.

I'm a vocal defender of the show. I think it's a really fantastic adaptation. I agree that Season 2 had some missteps but I wouldn't call it a clusterfuck. The production values and the acting is outstanding in the show. However, I do agree that the writing could be more polished. Most of the best writing comes straight from George's books although there has been some good writing in the TV show too (Robert and Cersei's conversation, how the show has handled Margaery, even the polarising Tywin and Arya scenes) while there has also been some very clunky writing (Robb and Talisa's Medieval Pixie Dream Girl arc primarily, Theon's torture, the lack of foreshadow-y stuff as well as elements of Jon, Daenerys and Catelyn's stories).

However, the show also has problems due to the fact that it is an adaptation. George's writing is pulpy and soap-opera-ish and relies on shock value quite a bit. A lot of people say ASOIAF/GOT is The Lord of the Rings meets The Sopranos but I think his the books and the show share a lot more in common with Shakespeare. There's elements of fantasy that don't consume the story; themes of power and corruption; focus on nobility and lots of shocking twists and machinations. Shakespeare is often called the first soap-opera writer and the same is true of ASOIAF/GOT only they are high quality soap operas. George also has the better medium for showing more nuanced characters and ideas as well as having the luxury of internal monologues to really give us in-depth, complex characters and stronger world-building. Dan and David have to rely on the marketing element of the show. It has to be accessible to TV viewers while also initially enticing them with pulpy violence, dragons and direwolves, and sex and nudity from hot actors. It also fails to convey the depths or complexities of the characters like they do in the book and so have gone down the route of trying to simplify some of the characters by whitewashing Tyrion, making Catelyn's character being all about her maternal instincts and also making Cersei and Tywin more sympathetic so we can pour all our hatred into the "proper villains" like Joffrey and Ramsay. The other adaptation problem is that being faithful to some storylines like Bran, Dany and Theon's storylines really stall (and they stall in the books too) whereas the rest pretty much flourish and this creates inconsistency in the pacing of the show.

So yes, I love the show because I love the books and I love the world and I love how well the show is executed (production values, acting, dramatic moments) but writing is something that could always do with improving and it not up there with the other shows in that regard.

Breaking Bad takes the top spot but I don't think it'll be far behind when it's all over.

This probably isn't the right place for this discussion, but can somebody seriously please explain to me what was so spectacular about Breaking Bad? The way I saw it, it was a classic "hero becomes an anti-hero" arc, handled reasonably well (though it had some pacing and predictability flaws) but really nothing earth-shaking. I fail to see where all the hype comes from.

The show had great acting, adequate writing, problematic pacing and main characters who seemingly could not die: on the whole, a pretty good show, but not a great one, and certainly not on the level of GOT.

This probably isn't the right place for this discussion, but can somebody seriously please explain to me what was so spectacular about Breaking Bad? The way I saw it, it was a classic "hero becomes an anti-hero" arc, handled reasonably well (though it had some pacing and predictability flaws) but really nothing earth-shaking. I fail to see where all the hype comes from.

The show had great acting, adequate writing, problematic pacing and main characters who seemingly could not die: on the whole, a pretty good show, but not a great one, and certainly not on the level of GOT.

Also a cookie cutter BS ending and a bunch of "hero pulls himself out of impossible scenarios" that make me wonder why people call GOT fantasy. The only show that is legit better than GOT is the "The Wire" end of discussion. Maybe Sopranos. No other show has the production values and sheer ambition in it's story that GOT has. I will not begrudge people for their opinions, but to me GOT is my favorite show of all time. No other Television show makes me as excited, so much so that I rushed out and bought a bunch of fantasy novels (and I hate reading fantasy/sci-fi). This is truly a landmark series. It amazes me though, if you look at all the criticism this show gets it is mostly from its hardcore fans. Obviously that is because the show suffers in comparison to the books a bit, but if you consider the fact Martin made the story to be "unfilmable" I think the show has done a tremendous job in adapting the source material.

My favorite shows are The Wire, Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, and GoT.

Also I thought Breaking Bad's overly predictable finale was about the most unpredictable thing that could have happened. Maybe a slight let down but I liked it.

Also worth pointing out that Game of Thrones is rare in that it's a series that delivers on fan expectations - no, I don't mean book reader expecations, I mean fan expectations of story progression. Look at all the Losts and Walking Deads of the worlds that wallow around for a season while they try to figure out what to do next, or look at all the various shows that are too afraid to shake up the established character and plot structure because of the chance the ratings might dive without this or that character or ongoing storyline. At least Game of Thrones has MOMENTUM.

Today's Los Angeles Times has a review of Game of Thrones that claims it's the Best TV Show Ever (yes, in capital letters!):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-game-of-thrones-review-20140406,0,3119045.story#axzz2y7zdTEwv

A bit over the top, I think, even for fans. There's an accompanying article about filming the show, and it has a description of rehearsing a fight scene between Jon Snow and an "unknown" opponent, suggesting that revealing the name of the opponent would be a spoiler. Who might that be?

Ygritte? A renegade Night's watch brother at Craster's?

Not even close to the best show ever. It's a great show, but I'd put The Sopranos over it by a mile.

Yeah calling a show that's about half done the 'greatest ever' is lunacy IMO. That doesn't mean you can't rank it (although it's still kind of a silly exercise, I'll can't help myself), so in my opinion it'd go in a tier below 'The Pantheon'. Said Pantheon (I think) would have the HBO Trifecta, the AMC Duet, and an assortment of other shows I'm too young to remember or have watched.

Also regarding Thrones, I know it's generally accepted that reading the books may result in a jaded view of the show, as it has for me. But what I've rarely seen discussed is how the books add to the experience by filling in those necessary details to get a better sense of what's going on. Within the last year or two, every friend of mine who watched GoT has either (1) stopped due to the overall complexity and wealth of characters that are never given proper backstory, or (2) ended up reading the books just to be able to pick up all the details that were never explained. Obviously I can't generalize these observations, but they give me the sense that GoT doesn't do well as a standalone show compared to those in 'The Pantheon'. Having to read up on backstory or just reading the whole series to get the absolute best experience knocks GoT down a peg for me (well I mean in a way it's great that more people are reading the books, because they are awesome).

GoT is great, but it's not the best ever. Just a few that come to mind that are better would be The Wire, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos. I like GoT better than all those shows except maybe The Wire, but GoT can be uneven at times, and I would say it has some casting mistakes, but when you consider it's grand scope, it's a wash.

You guys should IMDB this show... It's 9.5 rating is second all time...just FYI.

That is the opinion of over 500,000 people so far.

Just to let you know, Dexter has a 9.0 rating, despite several awful just awful seasons. GoT is a great show, and could be an all time great even, but right now, it's not there.

There was a sci-fi show on tv about 20 years ago, 1994-95, that ran for 5 seasons called Babylon 5. Great characters and a story line developed over the seasons. With just the digital advancements in the past 20 years

it's unfair to compare tv shows. That being said I think of the story line in both and find a little more excitement with Game of Thrones. Now is that because I have read the books and wait with anticipation ?

I will say G.O.T. is the most enjoyable show I have watched.

Also regarding Thrones, I know it's generally accepted that reading the books may result in a jaded view of the show, as it has for me. But what I've rarely seen discussed is how the books add to the experience by filling in those necessary details to get a better sense of what's going on. Within the last year or two, every friend of mine who watched GoT has either (1) stopped due to the overall complexity and wealth of characters that are never given proper backstory, or (2) ended up reading the books just to be able to pick up all the details that were never explained. Obviously I can't generalize these observations, but they give me the sense that GoT doesn't do well as a standalone show compared to those in 'The Pantheon'. Having to read up on backstory or just reading the whole series to get the absolute best experience knocks GoT down a peg for me (well I mean in a way it's great that more people are reading the books, because they are awesome).

TBH I think that might just be within your limited experience. I've tried to get my Unsullied friends to read the books, but they say they prefer to experience it in a visual medium (since it's such a visual spectacle) and they don't mind the complexity (though sometimes I do have to reiterate and explain old/forgotten plot points).

The show holds up perfectly well on its own, as long as you have a good attention span and are involved enough to remember all the characters and plot arcs.

I think that's a debate better suited for a time after GoT is completed. You're comparing it to shows that have already come full circle (in a sense) like The Wire, Breaking Bad and Deadwood, while GoT is midway through its story.

Personally, I think it has all the potential in the world to reach that sort of status. "Best TV show ever" is a stretch for any show, including the aforementioned - but "one of the best TV shows ever"? Yes.

There was a sci-fi show on tv about 20 years ago, 1994-95, that ran for 5 seasons called Babylon 5. Great characters and a story line developed over the seasons...

A great show at the time, but that awful final Season does at some weight to the idea that we should let GoT finish before being able to judge it properly!

It should be noted that the Los Angeles Times article made no genre distinctions with their grandiose pronouncement, which makes it all the more sillier.

I am quite confident people will still be watching I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, and The Simpsons long after Tony Soprano, Omar Little, Don Draper, Walter White, and Tyrion Lanister have long since been forgotten.

I doubt that. Sopranos has definitely entered the "GOAT" category. Breaking Bad will soon enough. The Wire already is considered the GOAT.

People try way to hard IMO.

"I don't think Game of thrones is very good... Oh but I do have 4000 posts on it's message boards :S"

Seems to be the general thing I see written the most here and other places.

I can buy that GoT is McNamara's current favorite show of all time. "Best" implies something more than "favorite" though, as you can enjoy something immensely that you don't quite think is technically as "good" as something else. But if people want to read "best"="favorite", it makes a lot more sense to me why people would use such a term. But it goes right into McNamara's note that people throw things like "best ever" around too lightly.

Archived