Never thought I'd miss Ed Skrein, but...

I can definitely see this, but Michiel as Daario is what you've got. And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather give a fine actor another chance, especially with some better scenes, than be stuck with a horrible one just because looks the part.

Except...is Book!Daario supposed to look dangerous? Nope - he's kind of flamboyantly flashy. As for smug and cocky, maybe we just have a different definition of that because I found him to be completely smug and cocky when he told Dany that he and Greyworm were gambling for the pleasure of riding beside her and when he made fun of Greyworm in Valyrian. But that's just me. I kind of like that subtle arrogance, rather than S3's overtness.

I don't know about 100% dangerous, but he's not supposed to look completely NOT dangerous either. His flamboyance definitely is supposed to add a level of unpredictability to him, an edge. Old Daario had that edge. Also, I'm not a fan at all of the subtle arrogance, since he IS flamboyant in the book. Without his over the top attitude, he's just another guy.

I hate, hate, hate Daario, every time i read a Dany chapter with him in it i wanted rip my damn eye balls out. I despise that dude,

and hope he got catapulted into

Meereen

Wth that said, s3 Daario made me want to rip my eyes out and smash my tv. S4 Daario... yes not much. So for me, they needed to keep season 3 Daario, because unless this one turns into a huge tool, i won;t have the samer reaction and that just wrong.

I don't know about 100% dangerous, but he's not supposed to look completely NOT dangerous either. His flamboyance definitely is supposed to add a level of unpredictability to him, an edge. Old Daario had that edge. Also, I'm not a fan at all of the subtle arrogance, since he IS flamboyant in the book. Without his over the top attitude, he's just another guy.

Guessing that D&D might be going in the subtle direction though, from the casting to the dialogue to the look, so Michiel may be perfect for that, but not what you wanted for the character. And I can understand that would be frustrating for many fans, but just another D&D decision.

I hate, hate, hate Daario, every time i read a Dany chapter with him in it i wanted rip my damn eye balls out. I despise that dude,

Meereen

Wth that said, s3 Daario made me want to rip my eyes out and smash my tv. S4 Daario... yes not much. So for me, they needed to keep season 3 Daario, because unless this one turns into a huge tool, i won;t have the samer reaction and that just wrong.

Thinking that's the point - they want to make the character more likeable? And as above, that might be a pain in the tookus for those looking for that Daario, but makes new fans and those who aren't book purists to see why Dany might fall for him?

Guessing that D&D might be going in the subtle direction though, from the casting to the dialogue to the look, so Michiel may be perfect for that, but not what you wanted for the character. And I can understand that would be frustrating for many fans, but just another D&D decision.

Yeah, I can see that. I mean I definitely don't have a say in the show lol, but I do have a voice on the internet to rage to my hearts content. I mean if they made him subtle to begin with, then cool, I'm not a huge "the TV show has to follow the book exactly!" kind of guy. Just not a fan of them making him overtly douchey and all that, and then switching it up, just takes me out of the atmosphere, reminds me I'm watching a show. Kind of a break int he 4th wall for me. Annoying really lol.

Yeah, I can see that. I mean I definitely don't have a say in the show lol, but I do have a voice on the internet to rage to my hearts content. I mean if they made him subtle to begin with, then cool, I'm not a huge "the TV show has to follow the book exactly!" kind of guy. Just not a fan of them making him overtly douchey and all that, and then switching it up, just takes me out of the atmosphere, reminds me I'm watching a show. Kind of a break int he 4th wall for me. Annoying really lol.

I can definitely see how this would be very annoying. Had I not been a huge fan of Michiel's, I probably would feel that way too! But when I see him my heart goes a flutter, so I'm obviously quite biased lol.

Meereen

My reaction to Book Daario and S3 Daario is the same as yours.

Keeping him like this is a problem for the legions of Unsullied who want Carly See in Westeros 'niaow'. A Daario romance needs to be reasonable and justifiable for the Meereen years to be accepted. To be honest many readers hate Dany's story because of her dalliance with a 'Bad Boy Phase' instead of bloody getting on with it. An acceptable Daario will make her story less cringe-worthy for me going forward.

It's always funny to me how everyone can watch the same thing and interpret it completely different.

I saw ZERO chemistry between Duckface and Dany last season, and who knows what the fuck they were thinking with that wig. It was Cersei season one bad. I like the more natural look of this Daario, although I would have liked to see a subtle blue coloring in his hair, or maybe a large stripe. I HATE how this show tones stuff down. The guy is supposed to be ridiculously stupid looking. He is in the book so the fact that it would look terrible on TV means they nailed it.

When did Natalie Dormer interacted with Dany?

Lol. Low blow.

Although to be honest, as much as I like Emilia, I think Natalie would act circles around her. Maybe not with the sample size we've seen on GoT, but definitely if she pulled out her Elementary-acting chops.

Old Daario was probably one of the worst performed characters in the season.

IMHO the issue with new Daario isn't the acting, but his image. He looks generic. In the books you could easily see why Danny falls fir him instead of Jorah. In the series... They aren't really that different. I have a hard time imagining New Daario entering the room where Danny is taking a bath. He'd probably ask permission first.

As a huge fan of Michiel's, it's extremely frustrating to see people writing him off after two scenes, especially because he can act circles around Ed. And I agree, both scenes were great, but subtle - which is throwing a lot of people off.

Same here. I loved him on Treme, and was excited when I heard he was cast on GoT. The last guy was a rapper/actor who is nothing special. Michael Huisman is an extremely talented actor.

Emilia is at the beginning of her career. Natalie has tons more experience. It was a good casting choice as Dany's confusion and passivity in the beginning was appropriate to the character. I like Natalie, but as she is usually playing a wise cracking and slightly cynical character, this role is nothing new for her.

Natalie knows how to manipulate, her character that is. Dany is less interested in that and more interested in addressing people directly in the merits/demerits of their personalities.

It is easy to forget how many of these actors are just starting and playing against big guns.

Of course, Maisie is a phenom. She is going to be the next Jennifer Lawrence/Meryl Streep.

Try to imagine Emilia and Joffrey. He would go at her with a sledgehammer; she would sidestep and he would be on fire before he even noticed it. Dany aims at the weakness; Margerie misdirects it. Misdirection seems more subtle, but it has some real disadvantages, i.e. things can go really, really wrong.

Same here. I loved him on Treme, and was excited when I heard he was cast on GoT. The last guy was a rapper/actor who is nothing special. Michael Huisman is an extremely talented actor.

Seems like we're the resident Michiel fans here. And as the two of us know all too well from S1/2 Sonny, he can play a huge douchebag/jerkwad when he wants to. If that's what D&D want from him, I'm sure we'll see that.

But I'm still leaning towards the idea that they're trying to totally 180 his character, which I will admit could be very annoying for fans, but makes more sense to me in regards to Dany falling for him. That's just me though!

I can definitely see how this would be very annoying. Had I not been a huge fan of Michiel's, I probably would feel that way too! But when I see him my heart goes a flutter, so I'm obviously quite biased lol.

Ha yeah I mean at least you're used to him so the recast is good for you. Ed was by no means a good actor, but I just got used to him and the overtness. I just hate being taken out of the moment. I hope he grows on me, those scenes will be a lot more enjoyable if he does.

It's always funny to me how everyone can watch the same thing and interpret it completely different.

I saw ZERO chemistry between Duckface and Dany last season, and who knows what the fuck they were thinking with that wig. It was Cersei season one bad. I like the more natural look of this Daario, although I would have liked to see a subtle blue coloring in his hair, or maybe a large stripe. I HATE how this show tones stuff down. The guy is supposed to be ridiculously stupid looking. He is in the book so the fact that it would look terrible on TV means they nailed it.

The issue is, I think, at least for me (and some others) is that people hated book Daario and thought it made no sense that someone who looks like a stupid clown is the guy that Dany falls hard for like a schoolgirl in love. And going to my OTHER point about the recast taking me out of the moment and reminding me I'm watching a show, making Daario all cartoonish and stupid would definitely take me out of the moment. I hate Daario in the books, the relationship doesn't make sense to me as it is in the books, there's no need to add a cartoon element to the show.

Emilia is at the beginning of her career. Natalie has tons more experience. It was a good casting choice as Dany's confusion and passivity in the beginning was appropriate to the character. I like Natalie, but as she is usually playing a wise cracking and slightly cynical character, this role is nothing new for her.

Natalie knows how to manipulate, her character that is. Dany is less interested in that and more interested in addressing people directly in the merits/demerits of their personalities.

It is easy to forget how many of these actors are just starting and playing against big guns.

Of course, Maisie is a phenom. She is going to be the next Jennifer Lawrence/Meryl Streep.

True enough, but I found Natalie to be wonderful on The Tudors when she was just mere years into her acting career. I agree that Emilia plays her softer scenes very well, but sometimes I find her more powerful "Khaleesi" scenes a little lackluster in terms of ooomph. Just compare her to Maisie's scenes last night. As you said, she's a phenom and stands tall among her more experienced counterparts.

Speaking of, I was having a conversation with another fan last night and was saying how blessed the show is to have such wonderful "child" actors. They really do command their scenes, even with living legends like Charles Dance. I'm just impressed by the quality (and quantity) they were able to find with Maisie, Sophie, Jack, and Isaac.

Ha yeah I mean at least you're used to him so the recast is good for you. Ed was by no means a good actor, but I just got used to him and the overtness. I just hate being taken out of the moment. I hope he grows on me, those scenes will be a lot more enjoyable if he does.

I hope he grows on you too!

I saw ZERO chemistry between Duckface and Dany last season, and who knows what the fuck they were thinking with that wig. It was Cersei season one bad. I like the more natural look of this Daario,

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

This deserved to be bigger. Serious, those saying he looked the part more have to be ignoring that wig. Maybe they're just recalling it differently, but there was such a lack of chemistry and any sense of character in last year's Daario.

To clarify, I'm not just hating the new "Eric Bana from Troy" Daario. I also hated Ed Skrein on the show. My first thought after hearing that Rapper Daario got dumped was, "Thank god." (Even thought I'd never seen Michiel before. I was sure he'd be great.)

As I think about it, I look at the Daario problem like this:

1) In general, the show seems to struggle with male "exotic/flamboyant" characters from the books. They clearly don't want to have lisping, purple haired men with gold teeth running around. (Although blue lipped Pyat Pree was okay, as was slapping eyeliner on Khal Drogo.)

Lispy painted "Bloody Mummer" Vargo Hoat became..."Locke," generic medieval villain.

Weepy, overdramatic Xaro Daxos became... scheming, masculine, ernest Xaro.

Lustrous haired, widow's peaked Oberyn became... short haired Pedro Pascual. (He's gonna be great!)

And Purple haired, gold-toothed Daario became.... a grinning rapper, then mumbling Eric Bana from Troy.

When I first heard the new Daario, I honestly thought, "Is Nashville one of the free cities?"

2) I think D&D are actually admitting they not only cast Daario 1.0 wrong, but WROTE him wrong. Because with Eric Bana Daario, it's not just new casting, it's also new writing. Which for me, also doesn't work. (Not saying I have the magic answer, just that they're still struggling to find it. And maybe this is one character that just doesn't translate to the show.)

If "subtlety" is the new plan...perhaps we should do something other than handing a woman a bunch of flowers while explaining what each one means.

"You ARE a gambler." Is this an episode of Dallas? I almost expected him to call her "ma'am."

In short, I don't really miss Rapper Daario, but I sure don't like Eric Bana from Troy Daario, either. I hope the writers help him out better than they did in Episode 1.

This is all nitpicking, since 99% of the show is brilliant. But the weak parts really do stand out because the rest of it is so good.

Archived