[Spoilers] Dark Souls 2 part Deux

aceluby

With no season pass I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up the DLC. At least not yet. Sucks that they announced it would be available and then only allow it for PC and non-US players. Since I'm still doing my CoC run I'm debating on whether 4-6 hours of play is worth the extra $10, especially since it's only been getting lukewarm reviews.

Really? I've been seeing reviews where supposedly the level design is much more like DS1 and 2 of the 3 bosses being challenging.

Well, I broke down tonight and bought the DLC. It's amazing. The first level I played is a big puzzle level with tons of different shortcuts and tricks to make it through. The guys you face are ridiculously hard during it too. For some, the bigger weapons are pretty much useless because of their speed and poise so I swapped to my +10 fire longsword. I'm pretty impressed w/ it, but I have to say the boss was completely lackluster. I beat it on my first try, solo, which is pretty lame. Love the level design and enemies though.

I'm pretty impressed w/ it, but I have to say the boss was completely lackluster.

Yeah, I looked up the new bosses and wasn't really impressed.

Nashandra v.2.0, Ancient Dragon with a Kalameet reskin, and a Havel/Alva/Mirrah Knight gank squad.

But then, many of the bosses in the regular game were weak too.

But reviewers are saying that the level is very Zelda-esque, and I wouldn't mind checking that out.

Nashandra 2 is much more interesting in NG+ from what I gather. Granted I didn't go against her in NG but in NG+ she summoned Velstadt to help her. And the Dragon fight is nothing remotely like the Ancient Dragon fight. Not even sure where you go that from

On the video I watched it was a very short fight, and it seemed to have a similar moveset to AD. But the fight was over in about a minute, so maybe there's more to it and I just picked a bad video.

What I saw of them made all 3 of the new bosses look really easy though. I'm sure the optional boss is not easy at all.

On the video I watched it was a very short fight, and it seemed to have a similar moveset to AD. But the fight was over in about a minute, so maybe there's more to it and I just picked a bad video.

What I saw of them made all 3 of the new bosses look really easy though. I'm sure the optional boss is not easy at all.

He has the one jump up and breathe fire down move but so does the Hellkite Wyvern in DS1. His moveset is far more like Kalameets. I thought it was fun. Shorter fight than Kalameet but I liked it more as it isn't quite as predictable.

The dragon is very Kalameet-like, except maybe not quite as hard. I beat him solo on about my 6th try, but then again I also just got done soloing all of the bosses from all 3 games. I thought the fight was better than the Kalameet fight overall though because of the level design and some of the extras during the fight.

I tried doing the gank squad for about 3 hours and haven't beat them yet. They are all really fast, smart, NPC's and even with summons they all hit really hard. I co-opped for a while and out of that time I only managed to be successful once. Really need to up my game w/ these guys.

Overall I'm totally satisfied w/ the $10 purchase.

The dragon is very Kalameet-like, except maybe not quite as hard. I beat him solo on about my 6th try, but then again I also just got done soloing all of the bosses from all 3 games. I thought the fight was better than the Kalameet fight overall though because of the level design and some of the extras during the fight.

Meh Kalameet is only "hard" cause it takes a long time. He's so very, very predictable.

Meh Kalameet is only "hard" cause it takes a long time. He's so very, very predictable.

Yeah, he's pretty predictable once you know all of his tells and can be patient. The first times I died to him were because I was trying to get in hits when I shouldn't. This dragon is pretty similar in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally got around this weekend to finish the DLC 'gank squad' boss. Really fun level that's pretty much geared solely for co-op. I'm honestly not sure how one would beat these guys solo. WAY past my skill level, and that's totally ok with me.

One week until the next DLC drops. I'll be getting it day one for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought and played through the entire 2nd DLC, totally worth the $10 and gave me about 10 hours of play time. This one is set up a bit differently as I beat the first boss and got the crown right away, which left me SUPER disappointed. However after some more exploring I found two more bosses, only one being a re-skin. This one has two of the best DS2 bosses so far IMO, really good design overall. Can't wait until the last one drops in 3 weeks.

Yeah, I'm playing the first DLC now and Shulva is just gorgeous. I'm loving the level design. Its like the best levels in vanilla, but better.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the level design in these two iterations. Lots of puzzles and interactions, great enemy placement, and lots of vertical design which I felt was missing in the vanilla game. Very pleased with it.

Me too, except right now Sinh is absolutely murdering me. Goddamn.

Yeah, he did that to me too. Took me about 10 tries to take him down solo. Wait until you get to the gank squad... I don't see how anyone could beat those guys solo.

I started up a new spellsword character yesterday with the intention of getting it ready for the third DLC since I've only done melee. My little brother is now living w/ me and LOVES the souls series, so we started it together and swap when we die. He died pretty early on and when I took over for him I made it to the Sentinels before giving it back. He was kind of in awe about how easily I was tearing through the game and how efficient I was at upgrades and leveling up.

Archived