Are book readers too sadistic with those who only watch the show?

I find it very frustrating when people feel the need to spoil things for show watchers.

One of the best things about the story GRRM has created is the 'shock factor' and I actually anticipate seeing Unsullied reactions to scenes like the RW and Joffrey meeting his end. Just look at how entertaining those RW reaction videos were!

However, sadly this is the worst fanbase I have encounter at spoiling things for others. All it takes is glancing at one Youtube comment to destroy the initial surprise of a future scene and diminish a reaction. One of my Unsullied friends is already aware of who Lady Stoneheart is which is disappointing as that would have been a very pleasant/disturbing surprise.

I do understand that a large proportion of the GOT watchers are book readers and shouldn't be denied their right to discuss the story and what they are looking forward for, clever things they pick up in various scenes as future plot references etc. but they need to be more considerate.

That being said some book reader Youtube comments are actually very clever- referring to something other book readers will understand but not unsullied...masking it behind a joke which is pretty funny.

Calling them Unsullied is pretty sadistic. :lol:

Y'know, on one hand, saying "you definitely should watch the next episode!" isn't so bad because it doesn't really give anything away.

On the other hand, it's just so patently unnecessary. I mean, have you ever found yourself saying "Eh, you can probably miss the next episode of Game of Thrones"?

I think we can agree that every episode is a need-to-see episode. We don't really need to be hyping them up, folks.

I think the show-watchers-turned-book-readers are the worst kind, on average. Those who have just read the books usually get the most enjoyment out of spoiling plot developments for show-only-watchers. They can finally have the satisfaction of saying "lel, go read the books faget" and intend to use that privilege. It's quite pathetic, really.

Those who've read the books some time ago, usually don't feel the need to do that.

I'm was introduced to the show before the books as well. But since I'm really excited about the books, I want my show-watcher friends to feel the same excitement in order to understand why I like this stuff so much. So I give them background info whenever they like, but I take care not to spoil any important plot points.

Y'know, on one hand, saying "you definitely should watch the next episode!" isn't so bad because it doesn't really give anything away.

Well, a friend of mine has only seen the first season. But he's aware, that there's something huge and shocking coming up in S03E09. Any when you see what the focus of that episode is, and that the wedding is going on 20 minutes before it ends, it certainly won't be as much of a surprise when the massacre finally happens. And even for those viewers who suspected that something was going to happen, but they didn't know how big it would be, it's a better experience than it'll be for my friend, probably.

I facepalm when I see some book readers acting huffy and dismissive when a show-watcher discusses things from the perspective of show canon.

It's a beautiful illustration of how religious wars start, without even the variables of land and gold.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I have Unsullied friends who beg me to tell them what happens next and I simply refuse because I know that down the line they'll appreciate it.

And if they just need to get their spoiler fix, they can always google.

People who spoil other people enjoyment at just being dicks. Plain and simple. People know that the books exist but they choose too watch the show first instead. Why is that so hard to understand? If every1 was spoiled that will kill the enjoyment out of seeing the shocked reactions of people after major events.

I cannot say I am sadistic, but when a show-watcher is making theories and thinking about the future of some characters, I cannot stop doing mysterious faces and giggling. ''You will see. You WILL see. Heheheh.''

I cannot say I am sadistic, but when a show-watcher is making theories and thinking about the future of some characters, I cannot stop doing mysterious faces and giggling. ''You will see. You WILL see. Heheheh.''

If you continue quasi-spoiling your fellow watchers, maybe one day you'll suffer the fate of Lt.Cmdr. Remmick. :cool4:

I agree that the argument that books were written 15 years ago is a bit ridiculous to me. First of all you have younger people who were maybe like 8 years old in that time and they found out about world of ASOIAF with the tv series first. Then you have people who simply don't like reading books and they just want to watch the show (and to all of us wannabe intelectuals that might seem odd, but it's the world we live in and I'm fine with that). Having some fun with unsullied can be fun I guess, although it's not my thing. But people who deliberately spoil it for some are just plain old assholes. And you can find many of them on the internet. But if you would spoil some older movie to them, they would be super pissed. Or some book series which they haven't got to it yet, but hey it's been out 20 years, so what if you're only reading the first book. So that argument is very pathetic.

I find it annoying that some people have this compulsive need to spoil the books or shout "Read the books, people" on every Internet thread. I personally love reading but I get that it isn't for everyone. Some people don't have the time or patience, especially when you have a giant, dense and incredibly detailed novel series like A Song of Ice and Fire.

I couldn't agree more. So what you can read words in a very large book. Do you want a fucking cookie? Reading is a pastime, it isn't a productive activity and it certainly isn't an amazing nor impressive achievement that you spend so much time entrenched inside a book and an imaginary world. Reading doesn't make you superior to anyone else or what they choose to do with their time. Most people aren't lazy or incapable, it's just their choice that they don't read. Why is it so hard to respect people's choices?

Maybe some people feel reading the books would spoil their enjoyment of the show, which is definitely the case around here. Actually - you know what, it doesn't even matter why they choose not to read. It's nobody's business but theirs.

I agree that the argument that books were written 15 years ago is a bit ridiculous to me. First of all you have younger people who were maybe like 8 years old in that time and they found out about world of ASOIAF with the tv series first. Then you have people who simply don't like reading books and they just want to watch the show (and to all of us wannabe intelectuals that might seem odd, but it's the world we live in and I'm fine with that).

Also, many people just don't like to read fantasy, whereas the medium of TV makes the genre easier to digest. My mother is an English professor, and when I try to get her to read the books she says she doesn't want to, because she prefers the visual spectacle in a story like GOT, and wants to read more intellectual and sophisticated material. So just because somebody doesn't want to read the ASOIAF series really doesn't mean they're an illiterate moron. It's a terrible argument, all in all.

I've been saying "First I..., then I..., then I...." for a year to get my unsullied friends ready for Oberyn getting the smirk wiped off his face. I also plan to, assuming the episode before the fight has the "I'm going to kill that" line respond with "What, like this?" and snap my fingers and when Gregor has him pinned say "Elia of Dorne. First I killed her squalling brat, then I raped her, then I smashed her head in" along with him before shouting "LIKE THIS!" as the fist comes down. It will be glorious, especially since they know I love the Mountain and hate Oberyn and therefore might have guessed that Oberyn is going to win.

I agree that the argument that books were written 15 years ago is a bit ridiculous to me. First of all you have younger people who were maybe like 8 years old in that time and they found out about world of ASOIAF with the tv series first. Then you have people who simply don't like reading books and they just want to watch the show (and to all of us wannabe intelectuals that might seem odd, but it's the world we live in and I'm fine with that). Having some fun with unsullied can be fun I guess, although it's not my thing. But people who deliberately spoil it for some are just plain old assholes. And you can find many of them on the internet. But if you would spoil some older movie to them, they would be super pissed. Or some book series which they haven't got to it yet, but hey it's been out 20 years, so what if you're only reading the first book. So that argument is very pathetic.

Also, it's not like the books were terribly well known, I'd never heard of the books until i saw the show was being made and went "hmm that sounds interesting".

I have no sympathy for the unsullied. If they are too lazy to read the books but insist on looking up youtube vids and trolling forum boards they deserve anything they get. I will not go out of my way to personally reveal things but sometimes unsullied are just idiots and insist on giving me their crackpot theories which I gladly blow away. Further few things in my life were as satisfying as sitting quietly (and smugly) while a bunch of unsullied screamed and cried during the Red Wedding. Almost as good was watching them see Joffrey die. I keep telling them that no one is safe but they insist on believing that their favorite heroes/villans are safe! :bang: :stillsick: :devil:

Also, it's not like the books were terribly well known, I'd never heard of the books until i saw the show was being made and went "hmm that sounds interesting".

? Really all the books were New York Times Fiction bestsellers And anyone interested in fantasy should have heard of them if not necessarily read them. Plus you come across a TV series that you like and never googled the Title? If you did you would have been put on notice it was based on a popular fantasy series.

Really if you are too lazy to read the books then you have no business going on the internet to forums where the books and series are talked about. Also do not ask those in your life who have read the books about the series, or we will happily explain details to you!

It really pisses me off when I see a non-reader being spoiled by a dickhead who read the books. The more selfless part of me hopes the show overtakes the books just to see those assholes getting spoiled by the same non-readers they used to spoil before. It would be very, very satisfying.

Agreed. I'll enjoy watching this forum explode as season 7 and possible season 8 come out before ADOS.

Archived