Game of Thrones Smashes Ratings Record

Westeros

Is there something wrong with my reading comprehension here? It says that last season's high was 5.5 million, but then goes on to say that the AVERAGE was 14.4 million. How is the average higher than the peak?

The 5.5 million is the first viewing at the 9pm EST time slot. That compares with 6.6 for the S4 premiere. The 8.2 for the same is the first and second airings (the latter for West Coast folks). The 14.4 million is the total estimated viewership across all platforms (cable, on-demand, hbogo) during the airing of Season 3. We should start getting the latter figures for this season starting midway through, but based on past experience they will be revised upwards as the season progresses.

Over at WIC last week was a chart comparing four HBO shows on a ratings chart (I noticed The Sopranos was not on it).

On Wiki is an chart showing three seasons worth of ratings.

I am still puzzled by the S2E9 (Blackwater) dip, which is there because that day was a USA holiday.

Word of mouth about Blackwater must have corrected that dip but it has never made it to the chart.

Its just first viewing (9pm slot). So yeah Blackwater probably would have been one of, if not the biggest viewing over the series but just did poor on its first showing as a result of the holiday.

They next season they skipped a week to avoid it happening again.

Wait, really? That's nuts!

Yes, that's insane !

Season 3 premiere (Monday at 9pm) : 742k

Season 4 premiere (2am) : 537k (23.9% market share)

Season 4 premiere (Monday at 9pm) : 675k (3% market share)

A lot of people have waited to see it live, that was a good thing for Sky (I wish they do the same in France but it's only the next night, I can't wait that long)

I want to see the total views numbers on HBO but these are released randomly and a long time after I think. Also, anyone has ratings in other countries ? The Sky and HBO affiliates accross the world should release it, right ?

In France, I can't tell you, it's aired on OCS which isn't measured by the classic rating service and they don't want to publish it apparently. That won't be so big than the UK anyway, the channel has only 2 millions subscribers (that's good considering it's relatively new).

Also, I agree that's weird to not have BR/DVD sales, at least the beginning, HBO has always made a press release for announcing records. And I'm sure season 3 numbers have beaten season 2 largely, the series has grown so much since then.

Yes, that's insane !

Season 3 premiere (Monday at 9pm) : 742k

Season 4 premiere (2am) : 537k (23.9% market share)

Season 4 premiere (Monday at 9pm) : 675k (3% market share)

A lot of people have waited to see it live, that was a good thing for Sky (I wish they do the same in France but it's only the next night, I can't wait that long)

I want to see the total views numbers on HBO but these are released randomly and a long time after I think. Also, anyone has ratings in other countries ? The Sky and HBO affiliates accross the world should release it, right ?

In France, I can't tell you, it's aired on OCS which isn't measured by the classic rating service and they don't want to publish it apparently. That won't be so big than the UK anyway, the channel has only 2 millions subscribers (that's good considering it's relatively new).

Also, I agree that's weird to not have BR/DVD sales, at least the beginning, HBO has always made a press release for announcing records. And I'm sure season 3 numbers have beaten season 2 largely, the series has grown so much since then.

From the website the-numbers.com:

Season 1 DVD + BR SALES = 1,507,000 units (975k + 535k respectively)

Season 2 DVD + BR SALES = 1,065,000 units (625k + 510k)

ETA: I'm adding another important figure, especially because of the economic crisis, which is the ranking in relation to other dvd sales.

Season 1 DVD: 53rd position

Season 1 BR: 39th position

Season 2 DVD: 90th position

Season 2 BR: 51th

(...) So i'm not entirely sure what numbers to expect for season 3. Bear in mind though, this is US home market only and I for one cannot verify the accurateness of these numbers. While the drop in sales was around 30%, in relation to other dvd sales it was almost 50% (in terms of positions in the ranking). However, season 2 was still the second most sold series in dvd and the most sold in blu-ray. The only one to beat it was "The Bible" and I'm not even sure it can be compared to because it is a mini-series.

sources: You can change the "year" on the url to check the 2012 numbers.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2013

From the website the-numbers.com:

Season 1 DVD + BR SALES = 1,507,000 units (975k + 535k respectively)

Season 2 DVD + BR SALES = 1,065,000 units (625k + 510k)

ETA: I'm adding another important figure, especially because of the economic crisis, which is the ranking in relation to other dvd sales.

Season 1 DVD: 53rd position

Season 1 BR: 39th position

Season 2 DVD: 90th position

Season 2 BR: 51th

(...) So i'm not entirely sure what numbers to expect for season 3. Bear in mind though, this is US home market only and I for one cannot verify the accurateness of these numbers. While the drop in sales was around 30%, in relation to other dvd sales it was almost 50% (in terms of positions in the ranking). However, season 2 was still the second most sold series in dvd and the most sold in blu-ray. The only one to beat it was "The Bible" and I'm not even sure it can be compared to because it is a mini-series.

sources: You can change the "year" on the url to check the 2012 numbers.

As for Season 1 vs Season 2 DVD/BR numbers, the above figures are somewhat misleading because, as far as I can see, they don't show the sales for the combined S1+S2 boxed set.

That makes them misleading in relation to total numbers sold of BOTH seasons. However I was adressing the relation between each season, and although each purchase of a boxset contributes to lowering the gap, i.e. Making the percentage drop between s1 and s2 smaller, it contributes to units sold of both seasons. Thank you for reminding me of that anyhow. What I don't know is whether that website actually recognizes the boxset but it isn't in the top100, in which case it would bear no significant effect of percentage drop in sales.

I think what makes it the most misleading is anyway the fact that it only adresses sales in the USA. Worldwide, the number may be a lot diferent.

So, the ratings for the latest episode are in: 6.6 million for the initial airing.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a number closer to 7 million live viewers. This somewhat lowers my expectations for the season going forward. At this point, I'm hoping the finale will get to 7 million.

So, the ratings for the latest episode are in: 6.6 million for the initial airing.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.

Don't be greedy!

It will be interesting to see the ratings for the next episode. Will the outrage! outrage, I'm tellin' ya! alienate some viewers or will it hook in new ones?

Archived