Game of Thrones Smashes Ratings Record

Westeros

Are you sure that's how it works, is there a source you can cite? I mean, that makes sense that it might be that way, just wondering if there is solid evidence that it is that way.

Assuming that is correct, that would mean a theoretical maximum of 2x viewers over subscribers.

Can't find the article at the moment, but Richard Plepler mentioned it during one of the TCA tours when the service was launched, and one of the editors of tvbythenumbers.com also stated this in one of the articles about the viewing numbers for Girls.

But it would actually be more than 2 times the viewers, in any case. Each airing - whether you've watched it before 'live' or not - is counted in the Live+7 total, as is the OnDemand views (which are also authenticated by account, per Nielsen ratings guidelines), as well as the HBO Go views.

So even though watching through any kind of streaming outlet (HBO Go & OnDemand) will only count as one view per subscription, you could still theoretically inflate the numbers by watching it every time HBO aired the episode live on one of its channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I don't get HBO. I don't even get cable.

I always go to watch it at a friends house. There are usually like 6-8 people there and a no talking policy until the show ends.

I also know a lot of people that watch the new episode the on projectfreetv the next day.

Never me of course, that would be wrong, but you know, other people.

It seems to me that both this and Walking Dead are shows that have "watching parties" where people congregate to watch the shows so I don't know how they can compare it to a show like, oh I donno, the Daily Show where people just watch it by themselves.

Yeah I don't get HBO. I don't even get cable.

I always go to watch it at a friends house. There are usually like 6-8 people there and a no talking policy until the show ends.

I also know a lot of people that watch the new episode the on projectfreetv the next day.

Never me of course, that would be wrong, but you know, other people.

It seems to me that both this and Walking Dead are shows that have "watching parties" where people congregate to watch the shows so I don't know how they can compare it to a show like, oh I donno, the Daily Show where people just watch it by themselves.

That's a good point, that this is more of a social experience. I think a lot of that for this particular show is due to HBO's double paywall, but it is also the type of show that is more conducive to discussion and group involvement. That being said, if HBO offered a Netflix-style subscription, even if it's $8/month just for this show (so I guess it would end up being about $20/season), people would pay. Even those who go to the viewing party. And that would bring ratings up even more.

Arrested Development Season 4 proved that if a product is reasonably priced, people will buy it. There was little piracy surrounding that season. GoT has probably the most pirates of any show. Torrenting numbers are through the roof, and that doesn't count online streaming, or people watching livestreams as the show is broadcast.

I'm not sure why HBO is hellbent on staying coupled with cable subscription. IMO, cable is on the decline. More and more people in my generation are opting only to get internet plans. I'm pretty sure if it weren't for sports, many more wouldn't bother with cable at all. But given that HBO isn't exactly struggling these days, I doubt we'll see any massive change.

I'm really happy for them! People need to keep watching so it doesn't get cancelled. I feel like if the series overruns the books, then it will have to postponed which will put people off.

I just don't see that happening, given logistical issues like actor ages, and the fact that this is a huge, huge boon to HBO's business. If it was going to be postponed, then I don't think D&D would have sat down with GRRM to get the details of how everything's going to wrap up.

I'm not sure why HBO is hellbent on staying coupled with cable subscription. IMO, cable is on the decline. More and more people in my generation are opting only to get internet plans. I'm pretty sure if it weren't for sports, many more wouldn't bother with cable at all. But given that HBO isn't exactly struggling these days, I doubt we'll see any massive change.

They aren't entirely. My Comcast TV package is just the four networks, PBS, CSPAN, and HBO. No cable channels whatsoever. Yes, there's still the requirement of getting the networks, but my total bill is only $10/month more than if I got internet alone rather than this + internet. And I don't have a promotional price, this is what it is.

Granted, I don't think they are offering this deal right now, and when they were it was only in select markets, but even if it was just an experiment, it shows that everyone knows where the future is headed.

• 3 months later...

Mentioned elsewhere on the board, but here again.

Time-Warner's Q2 report updates , I guess these are episode viewings, to 19 million per.

(These seem to be from the Q2, viewers , DVR-ers and streamers. Seems to only be domestic , never know what foreign numbers are, that I have ever seen.)

That really is a record. HBO so enhanced TW's bottom line that even Rupert Murdoch was scared away from a TW buy out.

TW may now buy out Fox!

(We shall see.)

Why is that interesting?

What if the viewer-ship grows?

TW might pressure HBO for more than 7 seasons?

I do wonder if HBO kicked up the budget for season 5, because of this?

How big are we anticipating Season 5 to be?

TW , apparently, did not include DVD sales , which had been very good for seasons 1 and 2... never did find out the bottom line on DVD for season 3.

I do wonder about those world wide viewings , hints are those have gone up too, HBO still needs better distribution.

We shall have to see, if it breaks 20 million by a wide margin HBO is going to be scratching it's head about only two more seasons... if Dave and Dan are spent and HBO owns the property I could see Bryan Cogman tapped with some other show veterans to produce and write at least one more season. Interesting thing is that , for sure, all the 'child actors' will be over 20 years old by then!

• 2 months later...

Archived