[Book Spoilers] Alastair Thorne's Role?

WTF's a Lommy

In the promos it looks like Thorne is leading the Nights Watch similar to the way Donal Noye did in the books and in the first episode he claims to be "Acting Lord Commander" which is pretty much what Noye was. Noye is noticeably absent from the show. Could it be Thorne and Jon bury the hatchet and Thorne plays the role Noye played in the books?

Couldn't he lead the Watch and take some of Noye's roles while still hating Jon Snow?

I hope he doesn't get killed. He could be a quite interesting grey character. One way they could handle it is show him to be a brave warrior when fighting against the wildlings, so the viewers would love him for it, but still hate him for his attitude.

i originally thought that that was what was gonna happen from the treilers, but im not so sure anymore. i thought they were gonna have him be nicer, to make him more likable, but from the first episode, it doesnt seem like that is likely. im curious to see how jon is going to get control. maybe thorn and slynt will go off on a hunt for wildlings like they do in the book. or maybe thorn will just realize that jon is the best warrior, and will grudgingly give him the wall. or maybe he'll just die.

He's gonna be bowan Marsh....

For a long time I would have agreed with you, but based on the first episode I no longer agree. If you look carefully, the guy that played Bowen in S1 had returned and was on the panel that Jon faced, and in an interview a few years ago the actor did say that he wanted to return because "Bowen has a larger role later on".

Thorne will have to die in the battle I think. Simply because with him being there before the battle and acting as the Lord Commander will make it harder to justify Jon becoming Lord Commander. In the books part of the reason Sam was able to lobby sucessfully for Jon was because he was acting Lord Commander after Donal's death. Thorne at this point in the show would be assumed to be the next Lord Commander in title when the vote comes, and if he dies it would give cause for a prolonged vote that led to Jon's election.

We've also seen from behind the scenes videos that Thorne and Tormund will have a pretty intense sword fight in episode 9 this season. Kristofer Hivju was just promoted to regular, so I bet they're keeping him around, so if one of them dies it will probably be Thorne. That opens up the Lord Commander election and fully solidifies Janos Slynt as Jon's primary antagonist next season, rather than giving him two adversaries.

If R+L does actually = J, I think it'd be more interesting to keep him around with him having fought on the side of the Targaryen's during the rebellion. Imagine his reaction. :lol: It'd be perfect TV, but I wouldn't mind seeing him die either.

We've also seen from behind the scenes videos that Thorne and Tormund will have a pretty intense sword fight in episode 9 this season. Kristofer Hivju was just promoted to regular, so I bet they're keeping him around, so if one of them dies it will probably be Thorne. That opens up the Lord Commander election and fully solidifies Janos Slynt as Jon's primary antagonist next season, rather than giving him two adversaries.

Yeah, there are a few directions that they can go with Thorne for this season and beyond.

1) The Book Route: Thorne remains antagonistic to Jon. After Jon executes Slynt, he sends Thorne off on a mission beyond the Wall, and he isn't heard from again until much later in the series - if ever. Frankly, I think that this would be a waste of an actor of Owen Teale's caliber, especially one who Benioff and Weiss clearly like.

2) Thorne lives, remains at Castle Black, and continues to be an antagonist for Jon, eventually taking part in the assassination attempt "for the watch". In this role, he could effectively replace Bowen Marsh. As others have noted, however, Brian Fortune (the actor who plays Bowen Marsh) has returned to the series and was present at the Council passing judgment on Jon (even if he didn't have any dialogue). Why bring him back if you're going to give his most important role to someone else?

Again, it seems like something of a waste to keep Thorne around just so he can bitterly complain about all of the changes Jon is making. The reason Bowen Marsh's betrayal is effective and surprising in the novel is that Marsh initially starts out as a helpful ally for Jon before he becomes increasingly disillusioned with Jon's decisions. Everyone knows that Thorne doesn't like Jon, so we'd effectively be biding our time until the stabbing. Jon would come off as increasingly ignorant for keeping Thorne in his inner circle, and I think most people would see the betrayal coming.

3) Thorne comes around on Jon after Jon returns from his mission to deal with the mutineers at Craster's Keep. The two of them forge an uneasy truce. In his role as "Acting Lord Commander", Thorne rallies the Night's Watch to fight the Wildlings (as seen in the trailers), and then dies fighting Tormund (based on the Foreshadowing video and the trailers, it seems like if any recognizable character dies fighting the giant in the tunnel, it will be Grenn). With his death, Thorne passes the leadership role, either symbolically or literally, to Jon. His dying words could be "The Wall is yours". (Yes, I know that Aemon is the one who says it in the book, but it could just as easily come from Thorne).

Personally, this is my preferred direction for the character. I think that it could play very effectively onscreen to see the man who was once Jon's greatest antagonist offer him his blessing. It would support the idea of the Night's Watch rallying around Jon to become their new Lord Commander in the finale.

One other interesting complication to consider is the role that Locke will play once he gets to the Wall. Some people have suggested that he will clash with Jon because of the general enmity between the Boltons and the Starks, or because he'll bond with Slynt over being screwed over by the high lords they once served. Others have suggested that Roose sends Locke to the Wall specifically to spy on and/or assassinate Jon. Still others have suggested that Locke might actually align himself with Jon because he resents Roose for going over to the Lannisters, giving him no choice but to flee to the Wall or face Tywin's wrath.

Once we see what's happening with Locke, it might give us a certain degree of insight on the direction that Thorne will ultimately go. I doubt that Slynt, Thorne, and Locke will all end up being antagonists for Jon in the end - that seems fairly redundant. Slynt obviously will be an antagonist, but we all know that he's got a date with a block early in Season 5.

If R+L does actually = J, I think it'd be more interesting to keep him around with him having fought on the side of the Targaryen's during the rebellion. Imagine his reaction. :lol: It'd be perfect TV, but I wouldn't mind seeing him die either.

OH, damn you're right. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold. :drunk:

One other interesting complication to consider is the role that Locke will play once he gets to the Wall. Some people have suggested that he will clash with Jon because of the general enmity between the Boltons and the Starks, or because he'll bond with Slynt over being screwed over by the high lords they once served. Others have suggested that Roose sends Locke to the Wall specifically to spy on and/or assassinate Jon. Still others have suggested that Locke might actually align himself with Jon because he resents Roose for going over to the Lannisters, giving him no choice but to flee to the Wall or face Tywin's wrath.

Once we see what's happening with Locke, it might give us a certain degree of insight on the direction that Thorne will ultimately go. I doubt that Slynt, Thorne, and Locke will all end up being antagonists for Jon in the end - that seems fairly redundant. Slynt obviously will be an antagonist, but we all know that he's got a date with a block early in Season 5.

Since when is Locke going to the wall, or is this a tv spoiler?

Is this a tv spoiler?

That development has been widely reported on both these boards and on WinterIsComing.net - so frequently that I effectively forgot that it's technically a spoiler for the TV-viewing audience. Sorry about that! I've hidden my original post under spoiler tags just to be safe. If my oversight resulted in you learning something that you didn't want to know, I'd like to offer my sincere apologies.

Couldn't he lead the Watch and take some of Noye's roles while still hating Jon Snow?

I hope he doesn't get killed. He could be a quite interesting grey character. One way they could handle it is show him to be a brave warrior when fighting against the wildlings, so the viewers would love him for it, but still hate him for his attitude.

I like this idea a lot.

Archived