So Tired of the Brienne/Jaime shippers

OrangeStallion

I never want to see Brienne married to Hyle. Never. He's ugh.

I would bet quite a lot of money on this happening. Hyle is a typical Martin just-about-decent-pragmatist. He can be churlish and frivolous, but when it comes to actions he usually more or less pulls through (cf his truthful report of Brienne's prowess to Tarly, with no attempt to steal the credit).

Jaime is marked for death with his twin, and his child will need a father. Hyle will get what he really wants - to be consort of Tarth - but Brienne's love for Jaime and his son will be uncompromised. Hyle is the sacrifice she'll take on for the child's sake.

There are sooo many jokes to be made from this, how can you be mad that we can't resist? :drool:

There is real UST between them, book and show. People notice.

I love the show and everything they do with it lol. Book Jaime and Brie dont seem to have an opportunity to manifest physically... Show Jaime and Brie can totally do the horizontal boogie woogie. Maybe under a weirwood tree. Itd be magical.

I would bet quite a lot of money on this happening. Hyle is a typical Martin just-about-decent-pragmatist. He can be churlish and frivolous, but when it comes to actions he usually more or less pulls through (cf his truthful report of Brienne's prowess to Tarly, with no attempt to steal the credit).

Jaime is marked for death with his twin, and his child will need a father. Hyle will get what he really wants - to be consort of Tarth - but Brienne's love for Jaime and his son will be uncompromised. Hyle is the sacrifice she'll take on for the child's sake.

I'm under no illusion that Jaime and Brienne will have a happy ending. I know it will end in tears and if they ever get to confront their feelings for each other, they'll be happy for a grand total of 5 minutes max before it all goes to shit, but for me Brienne ending up with Hyle would be pretty bad. I'd rather she raised a baby by herself if she's having one, but tbh I'd rather she didn't have any children from Jaime, if Jaime is not around anymore.

I know that the show and the books are different canons, but I'm kinda hoping that if we don't see Hyle in the show it means he won't matter in the books long term. So far his role has been only to give Brienne some sort of "choice" on whether to continue her quest, or marry some dude who isn't too bad but isn't great either. I want bigger things for Brienne than to settle for Hyle.

Lol @ people who think ASOIAF has no romance or who think other readers are dumb for spotting what is blindingly obvious.

lol, I know.

I think the thing you have to bare in mind when it comes to "shipping" (I'd never heard that term until I started coming to this forum.) is that while say shipping two characters who are in no way connected say Sansa stannis which I have seen before is a little absurd and fan ficcy at best. Shipping two characters who are actually interacting in text in a manor which can easily be interpreted as flirtatious such as Brienne & Jamie is just reading a book and grasping that there are romantic feelings flying around this duo.

Ditto for sansa & Sandor, its there in text its not "clear" in the way say Gilly & Sam is but do you really have to be hit round the head with a 2x4 in order to pick up on anything? I prefer my books to be subtle & make me think and consider etc...

Jon Val again has text support they flirt with each other, Mel Jon is one sided, But its there too, though hell only knows what her actual intentions are towards him sexually it seems it could just be shadow baby related.

Romance is a huge part of these books denying that is just silly. There are many layers to the themes within ASOIAF. Romantic love, sex, betrayal unrequited love, taboo love, so so much in there and its ignorant to ignore it all.

People who do wish to discuss the in text relationship, such as Brienne & Jamie are not trolling any more than people who wish to discuss religion or politics are.

P.s Its me that "ships" them into having a Kid. Thats not out of some daft sappy oh wouldn't it be sweet love hearts and flowers kinda way its because I see the story as having a cyclical element, a sense of these dynasties going round in circles. with the generations forever trapped in the same family rifts. Liek the Blackwoods & the Brackens. The series begins with a Child from the preceding ruling dynasty hidden away in one of the remotest castles in Westeros, being passed off as the child of another house. The old royal family in tatters banished and crumbling.

I feel that it would have a certain poetic element if the series ended with the Lannisters who have essentially been the royal family who took over from the Targs due to the political power of Tywin, and the Twincest. In tatters, all but wiped out and a secret child being raised in a remote castle (Tarth) being passed off as the son of another house and the few remaining Lannisters scattered in essos. Jamie of course would die, going down in battle as Rhaegar did.

Thats why I "ship" the two of them to marriage and a kid. Because it would mirror Rhaegar and Lyanna, even down to IMO a weirwood wedding and the need to hide the baby in plain sight after his fathers death..

Great post. It seems some fans are terrified that Martin will ship characters together and make it some cheesy happily ever after fairytale. All roses and rainbows. Come on, how often does romance end well in ASOIF. If Jaime and Brienne are shipped do we really think it will turn out well? Martin is a better writer than that.

i dont really care, but

There has been a lot of emphasis on Brienne's Maidenhead that and Brienne virgin this. i dont know if they end up together but i wouldnt mind it

NO way she dies a virgin though, Jaime is gonna hit dat!.

my bad, if im being redundant. havent read any posts

Indeed she is falling hard for Jamie, I'd say he is for her too, but just doesn't yet recognise that this is actually what Love is.

Being as he's only ever experienced his & Cersei's fubar'd version of love before now.

The love he feels for his sister is a twisted ugly thing and she is a sociopath so he's never experienced being loved back but rather what he thinks is being loved is merely being seen as someone's possession. The relationship with Brienne will allow him to realise that Cersi never loved him in the real sense, only ever as an extension of herself.

Where as the love he is feeling for Brienne is good and mutual and healthy it is based on understanding, mutual respect, shared ideals and goals etc. Once he grasps that this is what Love can to feel like he'll soar.

Still reading the thread, but I just had to laugh at that above statement, and give you the praise you deserve. :bowdown: :lmao:

No way jamie ends up with brienne.... I would rather see him hook up with a horse

I'm not sure I even want to know why you phrased it that way. I fear it's some disgusting analysis of which one Jaime SHOULD find more attractive.

yeeaaah... I'm on the fence in regards of Jaime's feelings. Brienne got under his skin in a pretty big way, and the rift with Cersei has made room for other feelings to grow, but it's still very unclear to me. Although when recently the actress who plays Brienne said that grrm used Beauty & the Beast as a a template for their story (role reversal, gender swapped) it cemented it a bit more in my mind, as beauty&the beast isn't a tale of platonic friendship between comrades. We'll see.

I never want to see Brienne married to Hyle. Never. He's ugh.

It took me a couple of rereads to see past the initial Ughhhhhh that he participated in with Brienne. But, their time in Maidenpool and on the road has cost Ser Hyle alot and I don't think he even minds that much. I think he was damn okay with marrying Brienne, giving her children, and them never even inheriting Tarth. I finally did find his personality to be pretty funny, witty, at first though, I couldn't see past the pain he caused Brienne. I do think he's genuinely sorry.

Thanks everyone :) and I am sooooo glad that som people are on my Jamie & Brienne have a baby crackpot boat too.

Ok so i know its not for everyone But as Lady Fevre Dream just pointed out, Hyle is actually really putting himself out there to help Brienne right now. I'm not saying they'll fall in love after she is widowed more they'll both decide its whats best for the child. Hyle would be essentially pretending this kid is his and I'm going to go with it being a son, so he'll be committing a truly selfless act knowing that as first born Brienne & Jamie's son will inherit and not any further children he himself may have with Brienne.

I find the writing of Jaime/Brienne ridiculous on a number of levels but at least it's not among the more horrifically weird ships of this fandom. It makes me squint and :rolleyes: but at least it doesn't make me physically ill.

Martin can't write romance to save his life and relies on YA tropes, and especially ones I personally dislike like the multiple variations of the Beauty and the Beast trope.

I wonder how so many J/B fans see a happy ending for them. I've never so far come across a believable account how he'll escape Catelyn once she gets her claws on him. As for his part, he expressly thinks to himself Stoneheart must be brought to justice (death) and nothing is more important to him than propping up his son's reign. The way I see it, both Catelyn and Jaime have to die, thus fulfilling Brienne's role as the future leader of the BwB and the reborn Azor Ahai.

I want your ass on a leash, in bed with me.

I ship Cersei/Ned, Robb/Myrcella and Willas/Sansa. Make of that what you will.

I'd have loved to see Willas and Sansa fall in love in the books. They'd have been an interesting couple.

I get the feeling that Brienne has rekindled Jaime's youthful aspirations of chivalry and honor. She reminds him of Arthur Dayne. Brienne is living out the dreams that Jaime once had; she is a living exemplar of the values that all knights should have and don't; and that's a powerful draw for Jaime. I don't think he's in love with her; but it could happen.

Paula Abdul said it best, "Cuz opposites attract."

I love Jaime Lannister in that he's one of the most dynamic characters in the book. He actually changes as the story progresses. He goes from a sister loving, sword fighting, cavalier d-bag to a man who starts to redefine what love is, he loses his legendary swordsmanship with his hand but replaces that with intellect and diplomacy. Brienne initiates this change just by being herself. Like it or not, she's his moral compass. As for her looks? Well, all cats are grey in the dark, to be sure, she does have stamina. ;)

Archived