Game of Thrones Gets 2 Year Renewal

Westeros

In an impressive turn, HBO has skipped the usual “Lets wait 2-3 weeks” to announce renewal following news that Game of Thrones smashed ratings expectations in its debut this yea.

And even more impressively, HBO has confirmed what everyone pretty much knows: this show is good to go for at least 2 years, with season 5 and 6 now locked in place. This follows recent news prior to the premiere that executive producers David Benioff and Dan Weiss had renewed their contracts with HBO for two more seasons.

The full press release can be found below

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

I don't think True Blood did. This is fantastic news. I know the show has always been very popular but I always worried that the show would get a sharp drop off in viewers and HBO wouldn't renew it so it's fantastic to know we have a solid guarantee of 29 more episodes at the very least.

This might mean they save money by filming seasons five and six at the same time.

This is not a feature film like deal, has it ever been done for TV?

I can see how it would save money, but I think contracts would have be rewritten.

By the by this busts the 6 year contract deal if there is a season 7, unless George kills off every major character in WoW, which is just nonsensical.

If enough money is made, well James Gandolfini and the rest of the cast the Sopranos did settle their contract dispute with HBO...

I wonder if there will be a season 7?

I would almost bet money right now on 8 seasons. At the very least season 7 being split in two.

It all comes down to money. My understanding is that actors are signed for 7 seasons, so if HBO wanted additional seasons then the contract has to be renegotiated. Actors certainly are going to ask for more money if that's the case.

For financial reason, I think it's highly unlikely that the show will go further than season 7.

It all comes down to money. My understanding is that actors are signed for 7 seasons, so if HBO wanted additional seasons then the contract has to be renegotiated. Actors certainly are going to ask for more money if that's the case.

For financial reason, I think it's highly unlikely that the show will go further than season 7.

Same here. Though, i do think extra episodes in later seasons is entirely possible...like 12 episodes for Season 6 and 7 or hell even 14 for Seven...

I suppose it depends how many more events they're planning-and how Martin was planning on ending this thing...

you have no idea which characters will still be alive. Also HBO will be willing to pay if the ratings continue, or they will just pull a sopranos and make season "7" the equivalent of 2 seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaHHXrGvsE

At around the 30:18 mark, David Benioff and Dan Weiss are being interviewed and Benioff says they will do at least seven seasons, that there's no way to end it in six. I think we can expect a minimum of seven and a maximum of eight.

And that brings me to my next point, I really think Season 5 will cover AFFC/ADWD and then Season 6 will move on to TWOW. I've been thinking about this and there's not enough material in AFFC/ADWD to cover over two seasons. A large part of AFFC/ADWD is internal monologues and slow-paced scenes off characters travelling through the countryside or emotionally/mentally grappling with something which won't translate to screen well. Not to mention that the trailers show much of Bran and Theon's ADWD storylines happening this season while Braavos is also showing up. Hopefully GRRM can get the TWOW out in 2015 and we can hope that ADOS comes out prior to Summer 2017 when they might be filming the final scene.

However, if either TWOW or ADOS are big monster novels with plenty of fast paced plotting like ASOS, I can see them being split in a similar fashion. But I shake my head when people think you can turn AFFC/ADWD into two...or even three seasons of material.

< I really think Season 5 will cover AFFC/ADWD and then Season 6 will move on to TWOW. I've been thinking about this and there's not enough material in AFFC/ADWD to cover over two seasons.>

I think there's enough for a season and a half. A lot depends on how WOW is structured. Season 5 could cover most of FFC and DWD, and season 6 could finish DWD and then introduce WoW stuff. If the Battle of Meereen happens far enough into WOW, it might make for a natural climax for Season 6. Then Season 7 could finish WOW and maybe some of DOS and Season 8 could finish the tale. It really depends on whether they decide on 7 or 8 seasons, and what happens in WOW.

Archived