Doran Martell

TheImp2014

I'm pretty sure there's only about ten years difference between Oberyn and Doran, so Olmos - while a great actor - doesn't really fit my mental image of Doran. Inconsequential as it concerns the casting, of course, and they can write his character to fit an older actor with no real issue, but I would much prefer Alexander Siddig.

I also wouldn't mind seeing what Amr Waked (one of my original hopefuls for Oberyn) could do with the role, though he and Pascal are only two years apart in age. But again, they can writer Doran as Oberyn as closer in age than in the books, with no real issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvVOT_gSfE

Siddig doesn't look like Pascal though. If they casted Oded Fehr as Oberyn, then I'd be all for Siddig. I'd rather have Smits, but the thing is, Smits plays a certain type of character very well, and Doran isn't this type.

Edward James Olmos is the only actor I can think of with the gravitas and world weariness to do Doran Martell justice. The other one would be Ben Kingsley, but he's a big-time movie star, while EJO is a tv actor.

First of all, Doran does not look like Oberyn but Arianne does. I think Doran casting is tied to Arianne and Quentyn casting. Doran and Quentyn should look similar whereas Arianne should be a bombshell Oberyn.

Edward James Olmos is the only actor I can think of with the gravitas and world weariness to do Doran Martell justice. The other one would be Ben Kingsley, but he's a big-time movie star, while EJO is a tv actor.

So is Charles Dance. If Gandalf can appear in Corry, then anything is possible.

Kingsley has appeared in HBO stuff before.

whenever I read aDwD I picture Ian Mcshane

i dont know i like ian mcshane but in everything i've seen him, he seems to play characters who are very imposing, which is the opposite idea you want to get from doran. Unfortunately I cant really think of any good roles for him which are big enough in GoT, except from Victarion, for which he might be a bit too old and not quite big enough

In England, McShane is known for a carefree antiques dealer called Lovejoy. Not quite a Doran Martell, but not imposing. He can do whimsical extremely well.

In American he is known as an F-Bomb dropping saloon owner.

He played a pretty good king in Jack the Giant Slayer though.

EJO would be fantastic, but my first preference would have to be Jimmy Smits:

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/jimmy%20smits-sons%20of%20anarchy%202.jpg

The final season of Sons of Anarchy will air this year, which means that he will be available for season 5. Also, he could definitely pass as Pedro Pascal's older brother.

I liked him as oberyn, but pascal is cool

Not for doran...

I've always pictured him like Alfred Molina, but he's too big a name.

I'd be fine with this. He really looks like Pedro's older brother, but I'm not entirely sure I'd buy him as fragile and sick

I agree. When the casting for Oberyn was announced, Alfred Molina always came into my mind when picturing Doran. I think he has the age and appreance for the character, and the acting chops ain't bad at all. If we can dream of Ben Kingsley, why not Alfred. As a more feasable option, perhaps the actor who played "tío" Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad.

Someone mentioned Ricardo Montalban and it brought Raul Julia to mind. He would have been great for House Martell. Raul, you're stil sorely missed. ;_;

Like several people have mentioned, I am really really hoping for Alexander Siddig. He was always what I pictured Doran as. He's not imposing, he's got kind eyes, and I can see him playing the tired, thoughtful. patient, and guarded Doran perfectly. I don't know the extent of spoilers on this subforum so I'll be super cautious here:

At the same time, I can totally see him turning the Fire and Blood up to 11 as the cliffhanger conclusion to one of the future episodes. I think the fact that he doesn't look so much like Pedro Pascal is a detail that can be overlooked since they'll never be onscreen together.

In American he is known as an F-Bomb dropping saloon owner.

He played a pretty good king in Jack the Giant Slayer though.

Yes Deadwood has been broadcast in the UK too.

Shane is an accomplished actor, his range is broad.

He was good in Sexy Beast too.

Cosimo Fusco is definitely how I pictured Oberyn!! He should have been the Red Viper!!

What about Eugenio Derbez playing Doran? He's older than Pedro Pascal, Hispanic, experienced in Hollywood and could look quite fragile. He's not a big name outside Mexico, therefore could help keeping budget at a minimum.

Somebody said Ian McShane and I highly agree. He looks a lot like he could be a relative of Pedro Pascal.

I'm firmly in camp EJO, but Ian McShane has the right look! And he's a good actor. No objections.

Archived