What are the religions of the Stark kids ?

Gneisenau

I like how some here have wrongly positioned the Old Gods as the real, spiritual Gods, and Seven as false and believing them is rather wrong. Needless to say, it is wrong perception of religions in ASOIAF.

All 5 Stark children were raised to believe in both Old and New Gods. After all, Ned built a sept in Winterfell when Catelyn arrived there and kids must have been influenced to a certain degree. And all of them at some point have had a reference in their belief system of the New Gods. However, that doesn't mean they don't uphold the Old Gods as seen throughout the series. Robb prays after battle in AGOT, Sansa had many meetings in Godswood, Arya also said she preferred her father's Gods, Bran's entire story is connected with them. So, no one is here 100% right for I think, that beside Jon and Bran now, all of them varied in what they believed in.

With Arya, I still think The Old Gods trump HoMF and her thoughts when she decides to keep Needle help illustrate it. She was willing to give up anything but Needle, as the old gods wanted her to have it. At times I think she equates The Stranger of the Seven with HoMF's, but I wonder if it's really, in her mind, just the one of the seven that might equate with the old gods and death.

Mladen

Well "the old gods" have shown their power through greensight and warging, whether they're actually gods or just magic isn't relevant. Same goes for R'hllor but the Seven have never shown any kind of power that couldn't just as easily be explained as pure circumstance.

I see your point but to me the Old Gods or R'hllor have not shown anything either. Besides, maybe the Seven have shown great power but men are too blind to see. I think ultimately Mel does not have a clue where her power comes from and Thoros is startled by his own achievements. Just because they attribute their deeds to God A B or C does not tell anything about these gods. And the "power resides where men think it resides" thingy does the rest.

Mladen

Well "the old gods" have shown their power through greensight and warging, whether they're actually gods or just magic isn't relevant. Same goes for R'hllor but the Seven have never shown any kind of power that couldn't just as easily be explained as pure circumstance.

I am sorry, but when has R'hllor showed his power? As far as I know, he hasn't lit a candle... The same works for the Old Gods. We see people, individuals who has a gift and use it. And just like in medieval ages, the supernatural or strange occurrences are being granted as Godly. And if we are going to play that game, I could argue that Davos saw Mother on his rock (I don't believe it, given that it was clearly hallucination). Also, GRRM has told us that we won't get confirmation of existence of any God in ASOIAF, so it is rather pointless to say that Old Gods or R'hllor are in any way more real than Seven, Black Goat of Qohor or any other deity in ASOIAF universe.

Archived