Dating 9: resolving the cliffhangers of the last thread

Angalin

Heartening to learn that "unconditional love" still includes a provision for immediately dumping one's partner if they talk about things you don't want to hear (and good riddance!). Guess that unconditionality only runs one way, huh?

Date last night went reasonably well, in a no-kissing kind of way. She asked me to call her to help keep her awake on the way home, and we ended up talking for four hours after a very talky date, so that's good. I still feel like this could veer into friend-zone territory if I don't play it right, though for the time being I think the mutual flirting has enough of a sexual edge that it's not an immediate concern. Also she's classic, textbook MPDG, and I've got to watch out for that.

ETA: She certainly does talk about her very recent ex- a lot, though. That's a red flag.

Heartening to learn that "unconditional love" still includes a provision for immediately dumping one's partner if they talk about things you don't want to hear (and good riddance!). Guess that unconditionality only runs one way, huh?

Good thing you read my posts, especially that part where I talk about differences between relationships and love.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that to someone I actually love, and probably handle it differently.

If you are a slightly off norm girl, 90% of dudes will cast you as MPDG in their head. I can't begin to tell you how many lovable nerds who would cast Joseph Gordon Levitt to play them in their romantic comedy biopic have pulled the old TATTOOED SNARKY GIRL COME FIX ME!!!! on the Fury. Ask Ini, this is story of my life.

Kay:

Number one, I hear what you're saying about projecting the MPDG stereotype, but that just ain't my bag. Trust me, she's virtually out of central casting (except that she's almost 6' tall, and MPDGs are supposed to be wee). Lace scarves and combat boots, pixie-cut hair that changes color every week, works in the arts, gypsy-style roaming childhood, rejects society's norms etc. etc. etc. And I'm certainly not looking for anyone to fix me or teach me the real reason life is worth living or any happy horseshit.

Number two, that all said, you could https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKdEiRuIb4 on me anytime.

Welp, I screwed up. I was trying not to but I still came on too hard, and now she says she just wants to be friends. She didn't say that's what it was, but I'm guessing.

The worst part is that I actually want to be friends with her. If I didn't I could just walk away and try to forget.

The next time I'm going to remember the mantra: "Be like Fonzie". Because what's Fonzie like? Cool, that's what.

Sorry to hear that kung :( that really sucks. Some people will be all "never be friends" but I can't be like that, part of the reason I'm attracted to someone in the first place is wanting their companionship as friends then building on that.

Hopefully you get lucky like me and meet someone just as bad at it as you and you can both come on too strong together and not care :p

Yep, that's my plan. I enjoy her company as a friend too, so I figure that even though it didn't go the way I had hoped I am still up a friend.

If she comes around then wohoo, but I'm not setting my sights on that (to avoid further let downs).

Welp, I screwed up. I was trying not to but I still came on too hard, and now she says she just wants to be friends. She didn't say that's what it was, but I'm guessing.

The worst part is that I actually want to be friends with her. If I didn't I could just walk away and try to forget.

The next time I'm going to remember the mantra: "Be like Fonzie". Because what's Fonzie like? Cool, that's what.

Come on bro, it's fine to be interested, but under no circumstances can you ever LOOK like you're interested. It's like rule #1 of being a dude. :p

I'm mostly joking. That actually does suck because it's obvious you really like her. I've had the same happen, more times than I care to mention.

Yeah, I hope that's it. But thankfully I didn't get the "It's not you, it's me" spiel or any crap like that and she's on board with being just friends, so there's a slight chance that it actually wasn't anything I did wrong and it was just not going to happen.

I just wish I knew for sure. I mean, I know how I acted and presented myself, so if there was something wrong in that I know how to correct it. In the words of Logen Ninefingers: Doing better next time. That's what life is.

Archived