A Balanced Review of Show Stannis [Book Spoilers]

if the rumor comes from my earlier post in this thread, it has no basis. it was just a guess of the kind of stuff D&D are likely to do in their Anti Stannis campaign.

I have no inside info whatsoever.

PD: Im confused with Thorne....I feel they gave him the Noye stuff to cut characters so I dont know what to expect from him.

I originally stumbled across the rumor on reddit. I doubt it has validity, but all this talk regarding how the rest of season 4 is going to go is just speculation and conjecture anyway. On another note though, Thorne is definitely going to bite it. I actually think Tormund will likely stick around though, unless they're planning on heavily simplifying that Wildling arc in A Dance With Dragons.

I'm torn on whether or not Thorne is going to die, actually. There had been ideas thrown about that he would take Donal Noye's place, and die fighting a giant, but based on the trailers and footage that we've seen of that sequence thus far, it looks like Grenn will fill that role. We've also seen footage of Thorne fighting with Tormund, but I'm not convinced that this means one of them must die - any number of things could happen that would allow them both to walk away from that fight.

Hard to say, really. If Thorne begins to take a more positive approach to Jon as the season develops, then I'd definitely assume that he's a goner. If they remain antagonistic with one another, I think his chances of survival are increased dramatically. Tormund will likely live, either way. With Ygritte out of the picture, he's the most developed wildling left in the cast, and that will be important in the coming fifth season (and beyond, most likely).

I'm torn on whether or not Thorne is going to die, actually. There had been ideas thrown about that he would take Donal Noye's place, and die fighting a giant, but based on the trailers and footage that we've seen of that sequence thus far, it looks like Grenn will fill that role. We've also seen footage of Thorne fighting with Tormund, but I'm not convinced that this means one of them must die - any number of things could happen that would allow them both to walk away from that fight.

Hard to say, really. If Thorne begins to take a more positive approach to Jon as the season develops, then I'd definitely assume that he's a goner. If they remain antagonistic with one another, I think his chances of survival are increased dramatically. Tormund will likely live, either way. With Ygritte out of the picture, he's the most developed wildling left in the cast, and that will be important in the coming fifth season (and beyond, most likely).

I pretty much agree with most of this. I'm actually kind of pulling for Thorne to be further developed into that Donal Noye role because his previous antagonisms with Jon would make that arc a bit more interesting, and his heroic death even more surprising. Could actually create some interesting parallels with Show!Stannis if they choose to give him that redemption arc a lot of us are banking on. The more I think about how they've developed these two characters, the more I like the idea of these two men, portrayed as selfish dickheads for the majority of the series, showing their merit by doing their duty when it really counts. The real problem it creates, as others have suggested, is that if Thorne dies, how do we get Jon to Mance for the parley? The idea of Slynt filling that role is shitty, because it seems odd that he'd have that kind of authority after joining the Watch so recently. While it's totally possible that both Thorne and Tormund could walk away from the fight, I kind of feel like the emotional impact of that encounter will be undone if one, or both of the combatants don't perish. Be really interesting for Jon to find Thorne mortally wounded after the duel for one last interesting dialogue to bring their feud to its conclusion. This is actually one of the few times where I like that they're straying from book fidelity, because it's nice to have some surprises in store for us readers.

Archived