Bronn and Jaime [Book Spoilers]

But Bronn would be trusted to keep his mouth shut provided he was getting paid. Bronn's not an idiot; he knows that he'd be in trouble if he started talking about a Lannister behind his back, so he'll be sensible enough to keep his mouth shut. Tyrion would have told Jaime this.

Bronn is the least discreet person in King's Landing, which is why this is an odd choice for the show to make, particularly considering how counterintuitive the dialogue is.

Jaime: My brother tells me you know how to keep your mouth shut.

Bronn: Yep, I sure can. Say, you know that knight with thunderbolts on his shield? I fuck his wife down here.

8 seconds Bronn. You kept your mouth shut for 8 seconds, and nobody even paid you to give up that secret. Imagine how quickly he'd unload Jaime's secrets if someone paid him enough.

Why would Jaime not trust Brienne to be discreet?

Bronn is the least discreet person in King's Landing, which is why this is an odd choice for the show to make, particularly considering how counterintuitive the dialogue is.

Bronn: Yep, I sure can. Say, you know that knight with thunderbolts on his shield? I fuck his wife down here.

8 seconds Bronn. You kept your mouth shut for 8 seconds, and nobody even paid you to give up that secret. Imagine how quickly he'd unload Jaime's secrets if someone paid him enough.

The wife of Captain Thunderbolt didn't pay him enough.

I doubt someone like Jaime would want to spar with a woman. He already feels humiliated about his lack of skill with his left hand.

I'm not particularly fond of Bronn, but I do think this is a good decision when it comes down to condensing the amount of actors on the show in a similar manner to how Edric Storm/Gendry were merged. In both cases it also keeps a previously-known from disappearing/becoming very minor with only a few cameos.

Well, Jaime asked if the place they were sparring was discreet? That's why Bronn related his story - to prove that place was, indeed, discreet. I could be wrong but I don't think Bronn would have just blurted it out during the course of their practice simply to brag :dunno:

Just wondering, what would make you say Bronn is the least discreet person in all of King's Landing? Not necessarily a disagreement, just want to know what goes into that statement. As far as I can recall, Bronn has been fairly discreet up until now. I will concede that he's fairly opinionated and blunt around Tyrion, to whom he is a confidant, of sorts. Outside of his exchanges with Tyrion, we haven't seen much. The only thing I can think of is when he openly admits to Varys that he eradicated the thieves of King's Landing pre-Stannis-Siege. That's Varys though, he could have likely found out. However, if Varys didn't already know what was done with the thieves, I'd say that Bronn must have been fairly discreet about it.

Sharing that information with Jaime sort of levelled the playing field between them, as best he could. Not that I necessarily think he meant it as an equalizer, but it's kind of like "Hey, I know you've got this secret that you want kept, and I have one of my own that I use this spot in an effort to keep", not that I think Bronn particularly cares about keeping it secret. Laygood's wife (ironic name), however, obviously wants some discretion, and Bronn apparently grants her that much. Bronn sort of offers up a secret of his own to Jaime, in light of Jaime entrusting Bronn with his. I agree that you might think twice about someone's ability to keep a secret after hearing that, but sometimes it makes you feel more comfortable sharing secrets with someone if you know one of theirs.

It would get old quickly, since Jaime can't be truthful, Bronn spelled out he's not discreet from the start, and now there's even less reason to be, so apart from humor, there's not much to be gained in the exchanges. I have a feeling he won't be going off with Jaime, perhaps he'll be involved in Cersei's plot next season.

I think that if they have more Jaime-Bronn scenes they could be a venue for bringing Tysha back into people's minds. If Jaime were to talk to Bronn about Tyrion (a subject the two men would be bound to discuss), Bronn could say, "You were a good brother to him, mine never bought me a whore for a wife" and then Jaime could look all Coster-Waldau conflicted/rueful.

Of course in show canon, Bronn's already betrayed Tyrion by lying about Shae getting to the ship, so if Jaime knew that he wouldn't be too keen to hang out with him.

Bronn says that he's discrete when you pay him to be and I think that's been proven based on how he could have been blabbing with anyone about Tyrion's exploits (there's plenty of secrets that he's keeping in that arrangement) and chooses not to.

I'm not sure if people understand what discrete actually means. I think book readers got it in their head that since Jaime sparred with Ilyn Payne in the books, that meant you could only have someone who doesn't talk at all. All you need is a guy who can keep secrets when you want him to. If you pay Bronn, he'll keep your secret, it's been demonstrated very clearly on the show.

I think that if they have more Jaime-Bronn scenes they could be a venue for bringing Tysha back into people's minds. If Jaime were to talk to Bronn about Tyrion (a subject the two men would be bound to discuss), Bronn could say, "You were a good brother to him, mine never bought me a whore for a wife" and then Jaime could look all Coster-Waldau conflicted/rueful.

That's making Jaime's plot about Tyrion. They've shown Tyrion to excess, can another character have a scene that's just about them, and not Tyrion? Enough already, the sparring was about Jaime's journey.

But he doesn't need to keep that secret because it's revelation isn't going to harm him. This knight is probably fairly powerless, and would be incapable of harming Bronn. On the other hand, if Bronn revealed Jaime's secret he'd be in some deep shit with the Lannisters. He's smart enough to know to keep his mouth shut in this instance, because doing otherwise wouldn't benefit him. And he's a man who's ultimately looking for what benefits himself, in the end.

Le Cygne, I think his confessing the part he played in the Tysha business is as much about him as Tyrion. His guilt there and then his guilt about what Tyrion does after he frees him are important parts of his journey. Other than Oathkeeper, that confession may be Coster-Waldau's best moment in the season. I think it needs some set-up and another Bronn scene could do that more than adequately.

What would Bronn be indiscreet about?

- That he's sparring with Jaime? He wouldn't. He would stop receiving money for it. Lord whatever doesn't pay Bronn, nor the wife.

- That he loves Brienne? Cersei knows and Brienne will soon leave KL

- That Jaime sleeps with Cersei and he's the father of Tommen? Yeah, because those big shiny "L"s all over Joffrey's wedding were discreet and not-telling.

Le Cygne, I think his confessing the part he played in the Tysha business is as much about him as Tyrion. His guilt there and then his guilt about what Tyrion does after he frees him are important parts of his journey. Other than Oathkeeper, that confession may be Coster-Waldau's best moment in the season. I think it needs some set-up and another Bronn scene could do that more than adequately.

I disagree. Tysha has been set up repeatedly, and it's best set up with Tyrion, if they want to go there yet again. It's better as a surprise from Jaime, so I think they should not say anything until that moment.

But at any rate, Jaime has a plot of his own, he's lost his identity with his sword hand, and his relationship with Cersei, and he needs to work through those things. Enough with the Tyrion propping.

What would Bronn be indiscreet about?

Same thing as the books, he's revealing some pretty major things to Ilyn Payne. He's essentially using him as a confessor, trying to work past these things. Bronn will tell whoever pays him the most.

We know he has more scenes with Cersei (one of which will be next episode) and I hope he gets another scene with Tywin to sink the knife in deeper and have the two men yell at one another. I also hope he gets some scenes where he can be sweet with his son and king and a scene where he can bitch slap Meryn Trant. We know from the Foreshadowing feature that he'll be acting as Tyrion's pseudo-lawyer in the trial in ep. six as well and that the two brothers will have some other scenes together (like whenever he says "Careful, I'm the last friend you've got", filling in for Kevan presumably). That still leaves room for Jaime and Bronn to set up certain things.

Same thing as the books, he's revealing some pretty major things to Ilyn Payne. He's essentially using him as a confessor, trying to work past these things. Bronn will tell whoever pays him the most.

But those things he already knows. The things Jaime confess are related to Cersei and Bronn was Tyrion's right hand, he probably knows already and doesn't care. Bronn is not stupid: he's not going to reveal anything related to that.

We know he has more scenes with Cersei (one of which will be next episode) and I hope he gets another scene with Tywin to sink the knife in deeper and have the two men yell at one another. I also hope he gets some scenes where he can be sweet with his son and king and a scene where he can bitch slap Meryn Trant. We know from the Foreshadowing feature that he'll be acting as Tyrion's pseudo-lawyer in the trial in ep. six as well and that the two brothers will have some other scenes together (like whenever he says "Careful, I'm the last friend you've got", filling in for Kevan presumably). That still leaves room for Jaime and Bronn to set up certain things.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw Bronn taking a more direct role alongside Jaime in helping Tyrion escape, in order to ensure that audiences don't dislike him because he refuses to be Tyrion's champion. Of course he'll probably make a jape about wanting to be paid for it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he helps Jaime in some way.

Archived