Stannis is not iron.

hollowcrown

Can you imagine how annoying chapters involving him would have been if Bobby B had given Tommen and Joffrey Dragonstone and Storm's End?

"*whine* *whine* Dragonstone or Storm's End should have been mine by rights *whine* *enititlement*"

Can you imagine how annoying chapters involving him would have been if Bobby B had given Tommen and Joffrey Dragonstone and Storm's End?

"*whine* *whine* Dragonstone or Storm's End should have been mine by rights *whine* *enititlement*"

Can you imagine how much less we would have to put up with whiners like you in that case?

Actually I don't think you understand Stannis' characters at all. If Stannis recognizes those two as Robert's heirs, he shouldn't have a problem with them getting castles, since they are ahead of him in the line of succession. He complained about Renly getting Storm's End because the younger brother, who did nothing to hold the castle, received the better reward. If neither Renly OR Stannis got anything, and the castles were given to Tommen and Joffrey, I honestly don't think Stannis would have a problem with it, since its a logical thing to do.

Regarding Renly being "solid"... while I admit we don't know much about Renly, he seemed really solid, but he also had a tremendous advantage all the times we saw him, where he clearly had an upper hand over his enemies.

Lets throw him in a castle with 1500 men against an entire realm, or have him trudge with a small force through 300 miles of a snowstorm, and then we'll see how solid he really is.

Regarding Renly being "solid"... while I admit we don't know much about Renly, he seemed really solid, but he also had a tremendous advantage all the times we saw him, where he clearly had an upper hand over his enemies.

Lets throw him in a castle with 1500 men against an entire realm, or have him trudge with a small force through 300 miles of a snowstorm, and then we'll see how solid he really is.

I think Catelyn referring to him and his entourage as Knights of Summer was a pretty good indicator, especially since her 16-year old son was fighting an actual war. Don't remember the references but if one reads between the lines so was Renly beloved, but he took in now way anything really serious enough and was far more concerned with appearances.

I like Renly in his own way but still he was flawed, just like his brothers.

I'll be honest. I don't like Stannis. I *really* dislike Melisandre for a variety of reasons.

Stannis *is* an incredibly tough son of a bitch though. He's strong willed and a damn good leader/military commander.

Problem is, he's such a harsh, grumpy misery-guts. He's like Robert in a way: he's best on the battlefield/in war ... if he was on the Iron Throne, he wouldn't be the failure that Robert was, but, the realm would suffer just as bad due to his pride and harshness.

Actually I don't think you understand Stannis' characters at all. If Stannis recognizes those two as Robert's heirs, he shouldn't have a problem with them getting castles, since they are ahead of him in the line of succession. He complained about Renly getting Storm's End because the younger brother, who did nothing to hold the castle, received the better reward. If neither Renly OR Stannis got anything, and the castles were given to Tommen and Joffrey, I honestly don't think Stannis would have a problem with it, since its a logical thing to do.

The logical thing to do is to put your heir at the time, Stannis, into the traditional seat of the heir to the Iron Throne.

As GRRM himself said, "By making Stannis the Lord of Dragonstone, Robert affirmed his brother's status as heir(which he was, until Joff's birth a few years later)".

Stannis wanted a slight to be made against him, so he imagined one.

The logical thing to do is to put your heir at the time, Stannis, into the traditional seat of the heir to the Iron Throne.

As GRRM himself said, "By making Stannis the Lord of Dragonstone, Robert affirmed his brother's status as heir(which he was, until Joff's birth a few years later)".

Stannis wanted a slight to be made against him, so he imagined one.

Which has absolutely zero relevance to what Mr Bell wrote about him accepting that Tommen and Joff would get the seats before him.

Stannis has a gymnast's flexability compared to most in the series.

He took on a new religion and he side-tracked his quest for the IT by heading to the Wall.

If you think the quest for the IT is even still a priority for him, well good for you.

Stannis and Renly both have things they other lacks in tons. Renly has the charm and charisma and popularity than Stannis needs to possibly gain more support (or did at the start of the war) and Stannis has the experience, iron-will and determination that Renly would find himself sorely lacking when it came to battle and/or any intense survival situation (ie year-long siege and starving wintery death march).

There's is that common misconception that Stannis would sit on the IT all day long, frowning, and execute people left and right for even the most trivial reasons.

Perhaps not trivial reasons, but ...

Look, I'm not saying he's like the Boltons or anything. He's not cruel or mean spirited. But, he does not strike me as terribly kind or pleasant, and he certainly is prideful.

Stannis and Renly both have things they other lacks in tons. Renly has the charm and charisma and popularity than Stannis needs to possibly gain more support (or did at the start of the war) and Stannis has the experience, iron-will and determination that Renly would find himself sorely lacking when it came to battle and/or any intense survival situation (ie year-long siege and starving wintery death march).

Which is basically what Dolan Noyle was getting at. People take it far too literally.

Perhaps not trivial reasons, but ...

Look, I'm not saying he's like the Boltons or anything. He's not cruel or mean spirited. But, he does not strike me as terribly kind or pleasant, and he certainly is prideful.

He serves just deserts, there's even a shit ton of people he rewards. Prideful I don't think so, he takes no glory for even the good things he does and does some shady things which he even admits and hints at that he will pay a price in the end.

Why don't you think it is? Isn't being the king of the realm the best way to faciliate protection the protection of it?

"I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.”

Also ... I may as well get this off my chest now. Melisandre is misleading him. Horrifically.

Problem is, Mel doesn't realize it. She's basically the very worst type of fundamentalist, made even more frightening by the fact she has real magical power.

The whole Azor Ahai prophecy stinks to me ... and the burning of living people as offerings ... that is not the request of a 'good' god to me.

Which has absolutely zero relevance to what Mr Bell wrote about him accepting that Tommen and Joff would get the seats before him.

Except it's not about rewards; he is the Heir, he is given the Heirs seat. Does he really need a pat on the head and a cookie for holding the castle? If so, then he has some serious inferiority issues.

Regardless, based on everything I've read without drinking Stannis Kool-Aid, I think if Robert had put Renly in Dragonstone, then he would be complaining about that being the heirs seat and how he should have got it.

Archived