Why did Ned Stark tell everyone that Jon Snow is his son?

Zippertrain85

This is assuming that the R+L=j theory is accurate.

If it is, that would make Jon his nephew, not his son, so why did he tell everyone that he was his illegitimate son? Which seemed to have done nothing but cause turmoil in his family. He could've easily just said that it's his sister's son, saving a lot of the trouble caused by the idea that Ned Stark had an illegitimate child.

I assume one reason might've been that his father is a Targaryen, so he might've gotten in trouble for that. But he didn't even need to tell anyone, he could've just said it's his sister's son, and he doesn't know who the father is.

So, I was just wondering if anyone else knew, or had any other theories about it.

Just to tell you all, I watch the TV show, so I'm not completely solid about the books and everything. Just so you know.

Becaue he promised Lyanna he would take care of him, and the only way he could raise the child as his own was to have him in Winterfell, which would require him to be his son.

As for why Lyanna didn't want anyone to know Snow was hers, probably because it would denote he was a Targ due to her time with Rhaegar.

If R + L = J, acknowledging that Jon was his sister's son would have caused a great deal more turmoil than actually happened. As it is, none of Ned and Cat's children seem to be particularly damaged by it, and all except Sansa seemed to love Jon a lot. Jon probably suffers the most, and Cat. If it had been revealed, Cat may have been more understanding than she was, but it very likely would have created big issues with Robert, possibly even putting Ned in a similar position that Jon was when he raised his banners rather than send Robert and Ned's heads to Aerys.

Because Ned knew that Robert was out for Targaryen blood, and that Jon wouldn't be safe unless the link between him and Rhaeger was kept secret.

Also, (IMO) the fact the Lyanna was betrothed to Robert and wound up carrying/giving birth to another man's child would have placed a target on Jon's back regardless of who the father was.

Lets see. Jon being the son of R+L is a powder keg waiting to blow, especailly if the two were married and Jon's true last name is Targ. Robert, would have wanted to kill Jon, despite him being the nephew of Ned. Ned would have never turned over his own family, especially an infant child. Also, it appears the promise Ned made to Lyanna was to protect Jon. Had Robert found out and asked for Jon's death, Ned would have raised his banners yet again and at the very least showed Robert he was ready to go to war to protect Jon's life. As for never trusting this info, with his own family(Cat); Ned had to keep the lie intact. Cat being very accepting of a bastard child, would have raised eyebrows by some(VARYS)

Saying Lyanna was the mother wouldn't have worked either way because even if it wasn't a Targaryen, Robert would've still wanted the child dead because he was supposed to marry Lyanna.

He simply had to say it was his own son, although it's a bit sketchy as to why he never told his wife personally who the parents really were, as that would have relieved her of a lot of the hatred she had for Jon, and would've painted himself in a much better light.

"And even the lie was...not without honor."

Saying Lyanna was the mother wouldn't have worked either way because even if it wasn't a Targaryen, Robert would've still wanted the child dead because he was supposed to marry Lyanna.

He simply had to say it was his own son, although it's a bit sketchy as to why he never told his wife personally who the parents really were, as that would have relieved her of a lot of the hatred she had for Jon, and would've painted himself in a much better light.

Well there was also no other candidate for the father besides Rhaegar given she was missing for a year, except for maybe a KG, which seems unlikely.

I agree about telling Cat, maybe not initially but after they had trust built up. But he probably thought it would be safer for no one to know at all.

This is assuming that the R+L=j theory is accurate.

If it is, that would make Jon his nephew, not his son, so why did he tell everyone that he was his illegitimate son? Which seemed to have done nothing but cause turmoil in his family. He could've easily just said that it's his sister's son, saving a lot of the trouble caused by the idea that Ned Stark had an illegitimate child.

I assume one reason might've been that his father is a Targaryen, so he might've gotten in trouble for that. But he didn't even need to tell anyone, he could've just said it's his sister's son, and he doesn't know who the father is.

Ned: Jon is Lyanna's son. I have no idea who's the father, though.

Robert: Lyanna? Your sister Lyanna? Your sister kidnapped by Rhaegar Lyanna? That Lyanna? And you have no idea who knocked her up? Gods, Littlefinger was right, you are as dumb as they come. Now be a good subject and hand the dragonspawn over.

Ned: Jon is Lyanna's son. I have no idea who's the father, though.

Robert: Lyanna? Your sister Lyanna? Your sister kidnapped by Rhaegar Lyanna? That Lyanna? And you have no idea who knocked her up? Gods, Littlefinger was right, you are as dumb as they come. Now be a good subject and hand the dragonspawn over.

beat me to it. "he doesn't know who the father is." - seems legit

Lets see. Jon being the son of R+L is a powder keg waiting to blow, especailly if the two were married and Jon's true last name is Targ.

Even it is true that Jon being the son of R+L, he is still a bastard, his last name will not be Targaryen. I will guess if this secrect is revealed, first Robert would want to kill him, then if Rhaegar did not kidnap Lyanna, then what is the justification of Robert's rebelion?

He claimed Jon as his bastard because it was his way to protect him. There is no way people, namely Robert, would have been ok with the knowledge that a son of Rhaegar's was still alive. A Targaryen in the 7 kingdoms could have been a rallying point for lords wishing for a return of the Targaryen line.

As I said in my previous post Jon is a bastard regardless who are his real parents, he may be son of Rhaegar, but he is not a Targaryen

Even it is true that Jon being the son of R+L, he is still a bastard, his last name will not be Targaryen. I will guess if this secrect is revealed, first Robert would want to kill him, then if Rhaegar did not kidnap Lyanna, then what is the justification of Robert's rebelion?

... unless Rhaegar and Lyanna were married of course ;)

1. Plenty of people on here don't think Jon was a bastard. If anything, Ned's protection of the secret is even more important if Jon is legitimate. If Jon's a bastard, he's an annoying reminder of Rhaegar and Lyanna's union, but he ultimately has no political power and as such is not a real threat. But if he's legitimate, he is a legitimate political threat and his life is actually in a substantial amount of danger.

2. The rebellion kicked off when Aerys demanded Robert's and Ned's heads, not when Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna.

I guess you missed the part of my point, where it could be either. Said nothing, about them actually being married. Suppose I should used all caps and bold lettering on the word "if."

Archived