[Show Spoilers] GoT Always Pays Its Debts - A Game of Homages

Mr Fixit

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone with an interest in speculative fiction. Before I discovered ASoIaF is was my favorite in fiction by a considerable margin. If GRRM fails to tie up this series in a satisfactory fashion it will go back to number 1. Two of its characters, Aiken Drum "The Non-Born King" and Felice Landry are at the top of my favorite fiction characters list. A couple of others Marc Remillard and Jon Remillard "Saint Jack the Bodiless" are really only nudged out by GRRM's work with Arya, Tyrion et al.

The first book in the series is The Many Coloured Land

http://www.amazon.com/The-Many-coloured-Land-Saga-Exiles/dp/033026656X/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1F5SG4EY9R0E5JQPXQQM

I'm glad I stopped in to take a look at this thread! Never heard of this series, but I just bought The Many Coloured Land at Audible.com., downloading it now. I'm a painter, work at home, so I get to listen to audiobooks all day while I work. I'm looking forward to listening to this one--the narrator is a deep, clear woman's voice, very pleasant and interesting to listen to. Thanks!

I'm glad I stopped in to take a look at this thread! Never heard of this series, but I just bought The Many Coloured Land at Audible.com., downloading it now. I'm a painter, work at home, so I get to listen to audiobooks all day while I work. I'm looking forward to listening to this one--the narrator is a deep, clear woman's voice, very pleasant and interesting to listen to. Thanks!

Very cool!

Just beware the first 60-100 pages are quite in the realm of sci-fi. They set up all the main characters going forward... but I am sure anyone who can handle that set up mechanic in ASoIaF will have no problems with it here.

Also I am interested that they used a female narrator. Do you know her name?

Very cool!

Just beware the first 60-100 pages are quite in the realm of sci-fi. They set up all the main characters going forward... but I am sure anyone who can handle that mechanic in ASoIaF will have no problems with it here.

Also I am interested that they used a female narrator. Do you know her name?

Here's the link to it. As a member there, I can listen to a sample reading before I buy it, I'm not sure if you can, as well, but its always worth listening to the sample of any book before buying--sometimes the narrator is so off-putting that it spoils the experience. But the good thing at Audible, if you don't like a book you bought, you can just return it, no questions asked.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/The-Many-Colored-Land-Audiobook/B0049C5MEE

There is a scene between Shireen and Davos in S4 ep3. She mentions how can he be hand of the king if he pronounces knight as kay-nig-it.

Monty Python anyone?

Yeah, that just had to be. Very well used too in show too.

• 1 month later...

Some folks complain :bawl: about Tyrion’s near soliloquy while talking with Jaime (in season 4 Episode 8) about a brain damaged cousin named Orson Lannister who was obsessed with killing beetles. AFAIK, this is a show only character.

Tyrion's speech seemed an apt allegory for the breathtakingly irrational and relentless way that humans and everything else in this world gets mercilessly slaughtered all the time, and a not-too-difficult-to-see metaphor for Tyrion’s trying to face the fear of being irrationally killed himself. If there are gods, they are just as unreasonably broken as his cousin. Quite poignant, actually, as he realizes that being the smartest guy he knows doesn’t always mean he can reason (or buy) his way out of any threat to his life and/or comfort. He so loves playing the “Game of Thrones”, and is lamenting that his personal “Game” appears to be ending. :crying:

Some folks also state their belief that it's really GRRM who kills everybody relentlessly. :spank:

The thing that made me laugh out loud :lol: was the sudden realization that this speech was an homage to Orson Scott Card, a famous scifi writer who wrote a series of books that focused on the moral results of endlessly killing Buggers, starting with the novel Ender’s Game.

I wonder if they got the idea from GRRM or if they thought up that little easter egg on their own? D&D must have had such a fun time writing that little tribute, just the sort of thing GRRM puts into the books all the time!

Some folks complain :bawl: about Tyrion’s near soliloquy while talking with Jaime (in season 4 Episode 8) about a brain damaged cousin named Orson Lannister who was obsessed with killing beetles. AFAIK, this is a show only character.

Tyrion's speech seemed an apt allegory for the breathtakingly irrational and relentless way that humans and everything else in this world gets mercilessly slaughtered all the time, and a not-too-difficult-to-see metaphor for Tyrion’s trying to face the fear of being irrationally killed himself. If there are gods, they are just as unreasonably broken as his cousin. Quite poignant, actually, as he realizes that being the smartest guy he knows doesn’t always mean he can reason (or buy) his way out of any threat to his life and/or comfort. He so loves playing the “Game of Thrones”, and is lamenting that his personal “Game” appears to be ending. :crying:

Some folks also state their belief that it's really GRRM who kills everybody relentlessly. :spank:

The thing that made me laugh out loud :lol: was the sudden realization that this speech was an homage to Orson Scott Card, a famous scifi writer who wrote a series of books that focused on the moral results of endlessly killing Buggers, starting with the novel Ender’s Game.

I wonder if they got the idea from GRRM or if they thought up that little easter egg on their own? D&D must have had such a fun time writing that little tribute, just the sort of thing GRRM puts into the books all the time!

Amazing catch - I didn't make the connection last night!

Davos geting the knight wrong and Shireen talking about it is not only a Monty Python Holy Grail reference but will be the movie the Baratheon of Dragonstone mainly would watch(Stannis and Shireen would have great taste in comedy).

Archived