You Don't Have to be a Targaeryen to Ride a Dragon

MyLittleFinger

I know GRRM said that you do not have to be a Targ to ride a dragon. It was quite an interesting tidbit and one that has spark massive debates over who will ride one or be one of the three heads.

Tyrion

Bran

Jaime

Victarion

Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know

the list goes on.

One thing seems certain in the fandom, it's Dany and Jon Snow.

Martin has often been compared to Varys in his interviews, he won't lie, but he will often be vague or steer things around.

What if his statement about not needing to be a Targ to ride a dragon is a lot more simple than it seems?

What if the two other riders aren't Targs...but have the blood?

Jon Snow and Aegon

Let's just assume that Aegon is a Blackfyre in this case, he's Aegon Blackfyre, not Aegon Targaeryen. He has the "blood of the dragon" as Dany so loves to remind us and with all the foreshadowing of another Dance of Dragons it would involve two real dragons.

Jon Snow, in this case, R + L = J is true, no secret marriage on the Isle of Faces, no drunken septon marrying them, no polygamous marriage and so forth, he's simply a bastard. He's not Jon Targaeryen, he's Jon Snow...err...Sand...fuck it, Snow sounds cooler. He has the Targ blood, but he's not a Targ.

It seems pretty simple, you don't have to be a Targ to ride a dragon...neither are.

What are your thoughts on this if any? Too simple? Too blasé and typical for Martin's fantastical world?

I know GRRM said that you do not have to be a Targ to ride a dragon. It was quite an interesting tidbit and one that has spark massive debates over who will ride one or be one of the three heads.

What if the two other riders aren't Targs...but have the blood?

Jon Snow and Aegon

Let's just assume that Aegon is a Blackfyre in this case, he's Aegon Blackfyre, not Aegon Targaeryen. He has the "blood of the dragon" as Dany so loves to remind us and with all the foreshadowing of another Dance of Dragons it would involve two real dragons.

Jon Snow, in this case, R + L = J is true, no secret marriage on the Isle of Faces, no drunken septon marrying them, no polygamous marriage and so forth, he's simply a bastard. He's not Jon Targaeryen, he's Jon Snow...err...Sand...fuck it, Snow sounds cooler. He has the Targ blood, but he's not a Targ.

It seems pretty simple, you don't have to be a Targ to ride a dragon...neither are.

I agree about the Targ blood thing. You don't have to be Targ in name.

While the Targ blood thing does hold some merit, requirement of your last name to be Targaryen is really stupid.

During the Dance, there were many dragon riders selected from people descended from Targ bastards. And some seemed to have no connection to Targs at all (Nettles).

This is why I do believe Jon and Aegon would be capable of riding dragons.

Despite Jon possibly being a bastard, and Aegon probably being of Blackfyre/Brightflame descent.

I know GRRM said that you do not have to be a Targ to ride a dragon

Where did he say that? He kind of left it ambiguous in TPatQ with the "seeds". Nettles could be a seed, or maybe she wasn't. We don't know. But I certainly don't think he's said anything definitely.

Where did he say that? He kind of left it ambiguous in TPatQ with the "seeds". Nettles could be a seed, or maybe she wasn't. We don't know. But I certainly don't think he's said anything definitely.

I think that the OP means the

Three heads of the dragon... yes... but the third will not necessarily BE a Targaryen...

Archived